Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHL Prisoner photo?

Hi from sweden!

I am new to this forum, have just come home from service overseas serving along side US troops!!

have a question regarding the "WHL confederate prisoners photo"
    Is there any way i could find the TIFF verson of this photo on the internet??
    or does any of you gents have a real good copy(great if it would be a cleaned up one to send me)

this and the F-burg trestle photo one of the best i have seen on CS troops in the field !!, but all the copys i have found are realy bad and you can not make out much detail!!

BTW have somebody the answer to what troops that it concerns, i know it is taken of troops captured at Cold harbor!!, but any idea of the unit??

Thanks again and happy to be on the forum!!

Nicholas Nordström-O`Grady

Re: WHL Prisoner photo?

Hi, Sweden!

I'd be glad to try to help you but I have no idea what photo you are referring to. Is there any chance you can be more specific?

regards
    Ron Myzie

Comment

[FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
      [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
      [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Hi

This is the link to the photo i am refering to!!!
        Not the "Punch Bowl" one but the "White house landing" one!

Thanx for clearing that out!!

Nicholas Nordström-O`Grady

Comment

Nicholas,

There may not be a high resolution of the White House Landing photo to be had. Bill Frassantio, in his book Grant and Lee: The Vigrinia Campaigns, 1864-1865 (1983), states:

"Today among the rarest of all Civil War photographs, only one original version of view 6, a plate, is currently known to exist..."
          -- page 172

The original that Frassanito examined, almost 25 years ago, was owned by the Americana Image Gallery in Gettysburg, Penn. I'm unfamiliar with that collection, which suggests that it may no longer exist, in which case, the current location of the photo may be unknown.

The photo is reproduced in Francis T. Miller, ed. The Photographic History of the Civil War (1911), which is where I believe Bob Denton probably scanned his copy. Scanning the photo from the book may be best that currently can be done.

Eric
          Eric J. Mink
          Co. A, 4th Va Inf
          Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Nicholas:

I have a quite sharp file copy of the WHL photo, albeit in two halves, and will gladly send to you. Please provide your personal e-mail address; mine is Roofus@aol.com/

Cordially,

Bob McDonald
            Bob McDonald

Comment

Rob,

EXCELLENT post. I've never seen this before.

Ron Myzie

Comment

Originally posted by Bob McDonald View Post
                Nicholas:

I have a quite sharp file copy of the WHL photo, albeit in two halves, and will gladly send to you. Please provide your personal e-mail address; mine is Roofus@aol.com/

Cordially,

Bob McDonald
                Hi Bob

Sorry for the delay of answer to the tread!!, had computor problems!!:D
                Email sent!, thanks for the help gentlemen

Nicholas nordström-O`Grady

Comment

Sir, here is a link to a site which features five of ten volumes of Francis T. Millers work, "Photographic History of the Civil War". The Decisive Battles, Volume III, page seventeen has the image you are looking for. Hope you enjoy. http://djvued.libs.uga.edu/E468x7xM647/phcwmenu.html
                  Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
                  Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
                  Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
                  www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Working...
                  X