Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ward in Carver Hospital, but no year attached?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ward in Carver Hospital, but no year attached?

Our website was redesigned, and many items have moved during the transition. But we have some ways of helping you locate the information you're looking for:

I was looking for period imagesof hospitals and the like and found this one through about.com's Archaeology section. There's an excellent view of a gentleman in a wheelchair right in the center. If you need period crutches, several are in evidence. I didn't see any date tagged on this photo. Those more observant of detail than I will no doubt be able to pinpoint it.
    Last edited by Becky Morgan; 03-05-2007, 10:16 PM. Reason: Link didn't show up.
    Becky Morgan

Re: Ward in Carver Hospital, but no year attached?

I always liked the one fella sitting in the bottom right corner with the 6th corps badge, to bad he moved and you can't make out the detail more.

Regards,
    -Seth Harr

Liberty Rifles
    93rd New York Coffee Cooler
    [I]
    "One of the questions that troubled me was whether I would ever be able to eat hardtack again. I knew the chances were against me. If I could not I was just as good as out of the service"[/I]
    [B]-Robert S. Camberlain, 64th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry[/B]

Comment

Are those Veterans Reserve Corps jackets I see?
      [FONT=Century Gothic]Very Respectfully,
      Brian G. Holt
      VMI CWRT
      61st New York
      Co. E CVG
      [/FONT]

Comment

Comrades,

The image was taken sometime in the latter half of 1864. The fellow with the 6th Corps badge is identified as a member of the 7th Maine infantry. I've got more information on this image in one of my files, but it'll be a day or so before I can go look for it.

Respects,
        Tim Kindred
        Medical Mess
        Solar Star Lodge #14
        Bath, Maine

Comment

The man in the wheelchair and the one standing to his right both appear to be wearing Invalid Corps uniforms. So does the man standing behind the one on crutches.

I was looking at the construction of the wheelchair. The large wheels appear to be turned from wood, but I can't tell whether the spokes are wood or metal. That is one substantial chair, no doubt meant for heavy use on the relatively smooth floors of the hospital. With hte padded back, it looks a whole lot more comfortable than a lot of modern wheelchairs, albeit much less maneuverable.
          Becky Morgan

Comment

The garland would suggest Christmas season. I believe this same photo is used in the "virtual tour" of Petersburg National Park. (There was a recent post about it on this forum.)

John Thielmann
            [I][/I]Die Gedanken sind frei
            John Thielmann[I][/I]

Comment

Ma'am, this image from the LOC has a TIFF version which can be expanded to bring out much detail. http://lcweb2.loc.gov/pp/cwpquery.html (In "other ways to search": search only: click "number", type "LC-USZC4-7976" in search box). Looking at the chair wheels, the spokes do look to be solid wood. The rear wheels IMO look to be a cast metal. Besides the distinctive properties you have called attention to, do notice how the swivel tray is propped up for reading. I have to say the men on this ward look so young .... Thanks for posting.
              Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
              Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
              Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
              www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Sir and Ma'am, I understand photographers would take more than one photograph for their purpose or intent of a study. While having recently posted on this thread I have run across a slightly different composition of this image. The other photo shows the gentleman seated behind the young woman is standing behind and with his arm on the wheelchair holding an open book. The photo also has the 3rd lad from right front sitting on the end of his cot. The photo is panned more to the left and there is the whole figure of a man dressed in a striped loose informal wear coat. The chair at left with box and bottles is in front of gentleman at left holding his elbo.The box is with two attendents "redressing a wound" behind seated woman in dark dress. I have been and am looking for a copy of this photo on line and will post as I find it. I am looking at the photo now in my copy of, "A Pictorial History of the Confederacy" by Lamont Buchanan. Copyright MCMLI. My two cents and again thanks for posting.
                Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
                Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

CWPT
                www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Sir and Ma'am, here is the slightly different composition of main thread photograph.http://arcweb.archives.gov/arc/ then click "Digital Copies", in search box type "111- b-358".

CWPT
                  www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

Comment

Working...
                  X