8th NYSM Photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8th NYSM Photo

Thought you all also might like this. These boys are the 8th NY State Militia in early 1861
    Death is always a good thing. Its just life after death that you got to worry about.

Re: 8th NYSM Photo

Actually that is of George Stoneman with a group of foreign observers near Falmouth, VA '63.
    John Fable

Liberty Rifles
    1st Maine Cavalry
    13th New Jersey/Stockton Guards

Comment

That is a very unique photo.

Matt
      Matthew Thompson

Comment

There are some very neat uniforms in the pic. I like the guy in the back pouring himself a drink.
        Doug Ranson

Button Hat Boys
        Jaunty Bunch
        Cumberland River Legion
        3rd Batt USV

Comment

Great variety of hats and caps, too. Thank you for posting this.

Comment

Thanks guys I thought you all might like it , wether its the 8th NYSM or not its a picture I thought worth looking at. To be honest I don't even no what Gen Stoneman looks like never really did research on him so I can't really confirm that is Stoneman. But even so its a neat picture.
            Death is always a good thing. Its just life after death that you got to worry about.

Comment

Chadd,

When posting original photos, it helps to state where you found the image.

This one is held by the National Archives and Records Administration and, as John previously mentioned, is identified as "A group of foreign observers with Maj. Gen. George Stoneman at Falmouth, Virginia, 1863." - NWDNS-90-CM-47.

Eric
              Eric J. Mink
              Co. A, 4th Va Inf
              Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

I found this at another site can't remember which it was at the moment, but it clearly said photo of members from 8th NYSM but Eirck and others thanks for clarifying that it is in fact Gen Stoneman and not the members of the 8th NYSM. As I have said I haven't really done any research on Stoneman to clarify thats him, as i don't no what he looks like etc etc. Again I just thought it was a neat pic and thought i'd share it.

Comment

Its worth noting there are 3 british officer in the picture and none of them is wearing a scarlert frock coat that some mainstream like to wear. The 2 on the left with the pill box hats are from mounted regiments and the one sitting with the full beard is wearing a dark blue patrol frock, these are undress uniforms, as they are observers. Wearing full uniform could be taken as meaning they were on active service and giving military aid to one side or the other.
                  Its also worth noting Captain Freemantle was on a leave of absense and could not wear his uniform.
                  John Laking
                  18th Mo.VI (UK)
                  Scallawag mess

Comment

I will say one thing more of the picture. I love that table they have in the photo, with the cups sitting on it. I never seen a table built like that.

Comment

...that table...
                      It's a bench.
                      B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Thats what I thought at first looking at it. But then I thought it's to small to be a bench, but you could be right.

Comment

Originally posted by riptailedroarer View Post
                          Its worth noting there are 3 british officer in the picture and none of them is wearing a scarlert frock coat that some mainstream like to wear. The 2 on the left with the pill box hats are from mounted regiments and the one sitting with the full beard is wearing a dark blue patrol frock, these are undress uniforms, as they are observers. Wearing full uniform could be taken as meaning they were on active service and giving military aid to one side or the other.
                          Its also worth noting Captain Freemantle was on a leave of absense and could not wear his uniform.
                          Sorry to bring back an old thread but as I was digging through past thoughts, I came across this one. I just need to clarify the observers ranks and units. The two gentlemen with pillbox hats and short jackets are NOT from mounted regiments. They are both from the Royal Artillery. They are wear a stable jacket (which became what we now know as the mess dress jacket) The one on the far left is a Major (his cuff ornamentation denotes his rank) while the sitting officer next to him is a Lieutenant (this data can be found in Dress Regulations of 1855 published by HMSO 30 Jan 1856). The color of these jackets are blue with red collar and (possibly) the cuffs. There was a fashion change around 1859 with regards to the cuff color being either red or blue. This order of dress was more casual and could be worn at the regimental mess. The officer with the long frock coat sitting in the center is an officer of the Scots Fusilier Guards (known as Scots Guards today). He is dressed in the informal Frock coat. It was worn while in the field and on parade when the men are in drill order. It is also a causal item. The gentleman pouring himself a drink is most likely a Guards officer (either a Grenadier or Scots) as they tended to spend more time out of uniform than in it, even while on active service with their own army!
                          The reason these officers are with the Union Army is that they came down from Canada (one Guards Brigade, one Inf Brigade and corresponding Artillery were sent to Canada as urgent re-enforcements during the Trent Affair) to see something of a war. Most are likely Crimea veterans but the officers became bored with garrison duty in Canada. Many were given official permission to go south and observe (they had to stay with Union forces and could wear their uniforms) and many more took leave to see for themselves but they had to wear civilian clothes (called "mufti").
                          These men typically were very wealthy (most notably Guards officers) and their money (Great British Pound, yet most carried gold) was worth more in the US than in the UK. Needless to say they could afford to live a grander lifestyle while touring the US than they ever could back in the UK. While up north they were able to avail themselves of the rail networks and traveled rather heavily. Most stayed away from any serious combat... well, the real action was with the bottle and ladies and that is were most could be found. Just two of the many notable officers that came down from Canada, Lord Wolseley (who latter commanded the British Forces in Egypt 1882 and clad the British Army in grey uniforms in the mid-1880's in North Africa (some say because of his admiration of Confederate forces during the ACW) and Gerald Graham who would go on to become a major general. Many officers that latter became high ranking in the British Army had seen the ACW (99%) from the Union side. Because most only wore civilian clothing and stayed away from getting to close to the Armies... then tend not to be noticed. Still they all had letters of introduction to the Union generals and also had strict not to interfere and to avoid any thing that might cause an international incident. While some of the officers were keen students of war and tried to glean as much information as they could (most notably about supplies, use of rail networks, communications and staff work) most viewed their time in America as a party. Since they could live well and had plenty of cash, they lived the good life and enjoyed their time away form their regiments.

Sorry this post got away from me.
                          cheers,
                          Stephen Keller

Comment

Working...
                          X