Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 31st PA - woman in camp photo

I love the dog.

I have been considering taking my mut to a few events. Anyone know what year labs were introduced in America.
    Galen Wagner
    Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Not to divert the discussion, but having just come from an event where we used a butcher's saw on the ration issue: Does that not look like a butcher's saw he's used to cut down a pole or whatever?
      Bill Watson
      Stroudsburg

Comment

I printed off the views presented here and compared them with printed versions elsewhere...and came to a startling conclusion--which may be very well known, but I never knew it so it was a startling conclusion to me.
        This photograph is a stereo view. I have never seen that mentioned--nor seen the images together, or a note saying 'one half of a stereo view' or anything like that...but that's just what it is.
        If one looks closely at two of the prints (if you can locate an image of both halfs), you will see that the pose of the central figures is identical. Everything is the same--except the perspective.
        At first I thought these were seperate images, but that's not so because the poses are the same. The best way to see it is to look at the far backround...even though they are the same you see it from slightly different angles. Follow the little girl's hair part; in the right eye image the backround soldier's clasped hands are directly above her part. On the left eye image they are further toward the left over her ear and it is his wrist that is over the hair part. Same with the rifle held by the soldier behind the 'father' in the photo. In the right eye half the musket is behind his elbow and in the left eye image it is behind his shoulder and the soldier's face who is holding it is half obscured behind father's head whereas it is not at all in the right eye image.
        I would be neat to fiddle with a copier and photoshop to reduce these images to the exact same size, mount them both on a stereo view card and view this image in 3 dimensional effect.
        Has anyone ever seen this image in 3-D?
        Spence Waldron~
        Coffee cooler

"Straggled out and did not catch up."

Comment

I have seen this image as half of a stereo, now that you mention it! I've also viewed it in stereo. Given that it's a crowded scene, the figures really stand out (in an eerie way since they're in black and white. When I was little, I had a Viewmaster reel called "The Civil War" that had 30 period photos you, obviously, viewed in stereo. Great way to look at some familiar pictures.
          Rob Weaver
          Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
          "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
          [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Great image. Would love to see it in stereo
            T. N. Harrington
            Traveling Photographic Artist
            Daguerreotypes and Wet-plate Collodion Photographs
            Winchester, Virginia

Comment

Have you ever seen another image of her?

There was a second photo taken that day (not a stereo view) is in "Beyond the Battlefield" (ISBN 0-684-85633-6), page 64, and just credited as an Archive photo.

I can email a copy to someone who wants to put it up on the forum.

Thanks,
              Mark C. Foster
              Thanks,

Mark C. Foster
              Flint, Mi

Comment

Fantastic photo, quite a slice of life! Going way back, someone asked about that large box on our left, which also interested me now that I really stared... I collect tin objects and that box strikes me as a gigantic breadbox!! What a washerwomen would be doing with it I couldn't guess; can anyone make more sense of it? Jason, your lovely lady is a tinner; does it strike her as something more useful than that? She, or her Dad have viewed many more 'objects de tin' than I... just curious.

Scott "Dutchy" Leatherman
                6th La. Co, G

Comment

Working...
                X