Interesting photo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Interesting photo.

Great detail in the pic -- thanks for bringing it to our attention.

- Dan Wykes
    Last edited by Danny; 11-24-2007, 07:46 PM.
    Danny Wykes

Comment

I think it is very interesting to note how many of these guys are wearing trouser stripes, what look like sergeant's stripes. Also, it is interesting to note how many are wearing paper collars and/or cravats despite being in a clearly relaxed photo.
      Andrew Roscoe,
      The Western Rifles - An Authentic Civil War mess in PA, MD, VA, NC, and SC
      24th Michigan Volunteer Infantry
      Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Originally posted by passfan View Post
        Has anyone tried to read the writing at the top. It appears to be the backside of the plate so its all in negative, right?
        Originally posted by GermanDraftee View Post
        "Drum Corps at Camp...." I can't figure out the name. :-(
        It says "No. 688" then upside down is "Drum Corps at Camp Fry WMS*" The * is what I can't make out. The image was taken by Matthew B. Brady.

The LOC title for the digi photo is "Drum corps of 10th Veteran Reserve Corps, Washington, D.C., April, 1865" here is the link:
        http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...emp/~pp_vOAI::

under the Call number is a link. If you click the link, it will give "related groups" info. In the summary it states ".......Band and Drum Corps of Ninth and Tenth Veterans Reserve Corps, Washington. Camp Fry, at Washington Circle, on Pennsylvania Avenue......"

There is a bearded fellow partially hidden, he's wearing a civilian style light colored (possibly straw) hat. This seems strange in theat every on else is wearing a military/forage cap albeit one slouch hat.

I'm hoping the LOC image will have more detail. Internet is slow over here and will take another hour to down load!
        [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
        Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
        [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
        Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
        Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
        The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by 33rdaladrummer View Post
          This photo is at the library of congress. You can download a very high resolution scan at www.loc.gov (about 40 megs).
          Can you link the high res. pic? The link you provide will, well, provide about an hour of searching. I'd love to see the picture in greater detail.
          Joe Marti

...and yes, I did use the search function...

Comment

Joe,
            in short "NO", due to the temp files the LOC uses my link doesn't work.

Go here: http://lcweb2.loc.gov/pp/cwpquery.html

and search for "Drum corps of 10th Veteran Reserve Corps" It will get you there pretty quick. you should get 3 hits from your search; choose the first one titled "Drum corps of 10th Veteran Reserve Corps, Washington, D.C., April, 1865"

Your a smart guy! I think you'll find it from there!

The high res pic was pretty Kewl, you could make out the paintings on the drums. One of the paintings on the drum was of 4 drummers seated next to each other. You could also make out the individual pieces of the disassembled drum having the heads changed. I think the 2 guys at the far left have either the Jack or King of spades showing. All in all good photo. Others from the same grouping were pretty kewl also!
            Last edited by Prodical Reb; 12-13-2007, 12:14 PM. Reason: added more info
            [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
            Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
            [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
            Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
            Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
            The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
            X