Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting photo.

Folks,

As i was replying to a thread about Chevrons on musicians, i noticed something cool.

If you look, there is a drummer changing one of his heads. This is the only time i have seen this in a period photo. Its pretty sweet!

What do you think? Anything else cool about this photo
    Cheers,

John

Source: www.civilwarphotos.net
    Last edited by John Legg; 01-22-2008, 07:31 PM.
    [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="3"]John R. Legg[/SIZE][/FONT]

[email]Johnlegg90@gmail.com[/email]

"Alright, Legg, what did you screw up now?" - C. Henderson
    Ft.Blakeley LH - May 25-27
    Maryland, My Maryland. - September 7-9
    6th Wisconsin Antietam LH - September 15-17
    150th Perryville - October 5-7
    Valley Forge - January 18-20, 2013

Re: Interesting photo.

If you also look at the fifer seated to the right, you can see that he appears to have a cheater on his fife. You really have to zoom in to catch that.

Patrick Jones
    Camp Chase Fife and Drums

Comment

also interesting to note that virtually none of those gentlemen appeared to be 10 years old ;-)

J korber
      Joe Korber

oh so many things,
      way to much to list
      have a good one
      :wink_smil

Comment

Also there is a man in the far left door way. He appears to be trying to stab someone! I guess he thought it might be funny! :p
        [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="3"]John R. Legg[/SIZE][/FONT]

[email]Johnlegg90@gmail.com[/email]

"Alright, Legg, what did you screw up now?" - C. Henderson
        Ft.Blakeley LH - May 25-27
        Maryland, My Maryland. - September 7-9
        6th Wisconsin Antietam LH - September 15-17
        150th Perryville - October 5-7
        Valley Forge - January 18-20, 2013

Comment

This photo is at the library of congress. You can download a very high resolution scan at www.loc.gov (about 40 megs). What appears to be a fife mouthpiece I think is a brass coat button combined with a shadow or flaw in the print. While cheaters were definitely issued and used, I doubt a fifer would still be using one by the time he was in the veteran reserve corps. You can zoom in more with the loc image and take another look and see if you agree.

The 61st, among other New York regiments(photo also available at loc), had some "drummer boys". A couple look like they could be twelve years old. Someone could check the muster rolls, but they often lied about their ages. A good reference for information about underage musicians and non-musicians is Too Young to Die. Many of the drummers boys were sent home, especially if they had little in the way of musical talent, but some did serve through the war.
          Will Chappell

Comment

Great find!!! Many of the musicians also appear to be wearing a distinctive kepis.
            Doug Ranson

Button Hat Boys
            Jaunty Bunch
            Cumberland River Legion
            3rd Batt USV

Comment

Great photo. There is so much going on. It looks like the drum head he is replaceing ripped right through. I haven't seen that since my rock band days. The stringed instuments are interesting, too. Makes me wish I had an event where I could whip out my double bass...
              David Casey

Comment

I thought the four drum sticks stacked in a pyramid on the drum head near the left side of the picture was interesting. Really looks like they all are having a fun time posing for the picture.

Kace
                Kevin 'Kace' Christensen
                7th & 30th Missouri Volunteers

Comment

Also, if you look at the two gents seated towards each other on the bench on the left, they are practicing together. Some that I know could use more- including myself. The fellow changing the head isn't doing one but both. One of the new ones, he is holding up, the other is lying on the ground and his leg- why take out 35 feet of rope and not do both (if one goes, the other could be soon to follow.) What are the two small rings in the foreground?
                  Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                  WIG/GVB
                  In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

What is the bass player doing with his hands. That is not the correct way to hold a bow. I wonder if he even knows how to play it.
                    [B]Luke Weathington
                    14th Alabama
                    Co. G[/B]

Comment

Originally posted by Civilian_Soldier View Post
                      What is the bass player doing with his hands. That is not the correct way to hold a bow. I wonder if he even knows how to play it.
                      Yeah, he knows how to play it. He's using an underhanded grip sometimes called the "french grip."
                      Attached Files
                      [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
                      [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Has anyone tried to read the writing at the top. It appears to be the backside of the plate so its all in negative, right?
                        William S Granger

"It Happens"
                        Forrest Gump

Comment

Originally posted by C.R. Henderson View Post
                          The fellow changing the head isn't doing one but both. One of the new ones, he is holding up, the other is lying on the ground and his leg- why take out 35 feet of rope and not do both (if one goes, the other could be soon to follow.)
                          In 30 years of drumming, the only lower (snare) head that I have ever seen broken was one that we tried to use as an upper (batter) head - bad move: snare heads are made of lots thinner skin than batter heads! Though I've rolled lots of batter heads in my time, I can only imagine needing a new snare head is if it is pierced by something.

Anybody know more about this than I do? Any period sources?

Jim Moffet
                          Co. A, Minnesota First

Comment

Originally posted by passfan View Post
                            Has anyone tried to read the writing at the top. It appears to be the backside of the plate so its all in negative, right?
                            "Drum Corps at Camp...." I can't figure out the name. :-(
                            [I][/I]Die Gedanken sind frei
                            John Thielmann[I][/I]

Comment

*cough* hat brass *cough*
                              Patrick Rooney

Comment

Working...
                              X