Winter Months In The West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Months In The West

Due to the AC crash, a few threads that I started involving photographs were lost. So, keeping with that string, I wanted to post a few photos for discussion. Forgive me because I don't have better photo editing software to really zoom in on some of the notable details, but fellows like Wickersty and Caldwell have really made these images more interesting in the past.

Image #1
    Title: Nashville, Tenn. Federal outer line
    Created/Published: 1864 December 16.
    Call Number: LC-B811- 2639
    Source: Library of Congress
    (http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/cwphtml/cwphome.html)

Image #2
    Title: Nashville, Tenn. Federal outer line; another view
    Created/Published: 1864 December 16.
    Call Number: LC-B811- 2640
    Source:Library of Congress

Image #3
    Title: Chattanooga, Tenn., vicinity. Federal camp by the Tennessee River
    Created/Published: 1864?
    Call Number: LC-B811- 2672

Image #4
    Title: Knoxville, Tenn. Environs of Knoxville seen from south bank of Tennessee River; East Tennessee University in middle distance
    Created/Published: 1864?
    Call Number: LC-B811- 3674

According to the LOC summary of the first two images, "If the date borne on this photograph is correct, it was taken in the course of the battle." Even if the date is not right on, it does explain a few things. These first two images are identified as the outer line, and if they were indeed taken during battle, the events around Franklin late in November 1864 and Hood's advance on Nashville might account for the lack of more carefully constructed shelter in these images. It is also interesting to note that these particular images show an abundance of shelter halves as opposed to other camp images that more predominantly display larger tents. And the second image, specifically, shows wooden shelters that model the look of shelter halves in size and appearance.

The image identified to Chattanooga is interesting as well. Note the contrast in the constructed shelters as well as contrast in attire of the men shown. I picked out jackets, uniform (frock) coats, and fatigue blouses and a variety of civilian style hats. Judging by the trees, the fact that many of the men are wearing their coats and jackets open (if any at all), not one overcoat is seen, and the LOC summary, this image is probably closer to the spring months rather than winter. However, the shelters are still a point of interest, which very well could have been left standing from the winter 1863-64.
    Attached Files
    Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Re: Winter Months In The West

One thing that stands out to me about image number 3- 10 of the FEDS in the image have one or both of their hands on thier hips and their elbows bent at the same angle. It looks very deliberate, and some are ven facing off in different directions in this same pose, as if they are trying to look like they are not posed. I have always wondered if this was some secret message or joke, that these men could appreciate-maybe poking fun at an officer or something. Just my thoughts. Really cool images and especially the first 2 of Nashville make me miss home.-ELI GEERY
    -ELI GEERY- Corinthian No. 414-F&AM
    "The Dippin' Gourd Mess" (FOUNDER)
    "Original MOOCOWS Board of directors member"
    "The Bully Boys"
    "The Hard Case Boys"
    "The Independant Mess"
    29th Infantry DIV/OEF/OJG Veteran
    3d Iinfantry DIV/OIF Veteran

Comment

Re: Winter Months In The West

I've always loved looking over photos of the western theatre, and No# 3 has always been one of my favorites. For those not familiar with the area, that's Moccossain Bend in the top left and they are very near the bottom bluffs of Lookout Mtn. The sad thing is, where those boys are, is now directly inderneath hwy 24.
      Eric N. Harley-Brown
      Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

Working...
      X