7th ILL INF color gaurd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7th ILL INF color gaurd

here is a pic of the 7th Ill in a magazine named heartland USA. The color gaurd has Henery rifles. Any comments?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by btwils; 07-24-2007, 03:20 PM. Reason: Add text

Re: 7th ILL INF color gaurd

Pretty well known photos. The 7th IL, the first IL volunteer regiment raised during the war privately purchased the repeaters for their color gaurd and I believe some other soldiers.

Must have been a real pain acquiring ammunition for them though.

Brett "Homer" Keen
    Chicago
    [I]"Excessively spirited in the pranks and mischief of the soldier"[/I]

OEF 03-04 [I]Truth Through Exploitation[/I]

Comment

Amunition for the henry was its biggest downfall, The government did'nt think the cartridge was powerful enough being 44rimfire, About the size of a modern pistol round, Then the government believed the soldiers would waste too much ammo, They believed that they would need two mules and a wagon for every soldier to carry the ammo!!
      The U.S. government finally said they would provide ammo if you purchased your own Henry, The price of wich was enormous for a regular infantry soldier, anywhere from 35dollars to 75 dollars depending where you purchased it. They would usually use thier reenlistment bounties to buy one.
      The government did eventually issue some henry's to the 1st Washington D.C. Calvary, .... to protect the politicians, IMAGINE THAT!!!

I LOVE MY HENRY!
      Rick Spencer
      19th U.S. infantry, The Rock Of Chickamauga!
      Ohio Valley Civil War Assoc.
      66th ill. Birge's Western Sharpshooters
      [url]www.ovcwa.com[/url]

Comment

Funny you should mention the 7th IL and Henry’s. Someone was burning them up in the heavy skirmish forward of Colquitt's and Clingman's Carolinians at Bentonville (afternoon of the 21st). There are several spots crossing east of the marsh on Racetrack Road where Henry casings can still be picked out by sight after a plow and a rain…near where Hurlbut and the 7th were. Consequently there have been quite a few spent rounds found scattered through Hoke’s front.

Anyone have a clue who it might be?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 07-24-2007, 11:45 PM. Reason: I said Hurl-but and added attachment
        B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Dear Brian ,
          You can always learn something useful from Illinois fellers ! The dog appears to be awake and the fellow on the far left seems to have a patch or a button ( ? ) , on his trouser leg. Superb photograph and thnks for sharing it.
          all for the old flag ,
          David Corbett
          Dave Corbett

Comment

And "Forty Rounds" corps badges galore, several different sizes and colored to boot. Perhaps a VERY late war photo, or early post war as the boys were heading home?
            Steve Sullivan

Comment

The 15th Corps badge was very popular amongst veteran reenlistees in 1864 I believe... I have loads of pictures of the 55th IL soldiers with them officers and enlisted alike.

Brett "Homer" Keen
              Chicago
              [I]"Excessively spirited in the pranks and mischief of the soldier"[/I]

OEF 03-04 [I]Truth Through Exploitation[/I]

Comment

Has to be very late war photo. The 7th illinois was in the 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 16th Army Corps, till September, 1864. Then it joined the 3rd Brigade, 4th Division, 15th Army Corps, till mustering out in July, 1865
                Keith Rigoni
                1st Michigan Inf.
                66th Illinois Co. D

“Thank God for Michigan!” Abraham Lincoln proclaimed upon witnessing Michigan men marching into Washington in May, 1861 as the first troops from the west.

Comment

What's in the middle of the [Color] Sergeant [Major]'s Chevron's???? It doesn't look like a star.....maybe a flag?
                  RJ Samp
                  (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
                  Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Working...
                  X