CS Clothing at Antietam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS Clothing at Antietam

Gardner's famous death studies photographs of Starke's LA Brigade along the Hagerstown Pike provide an interesting look at CS uniforms during that period of the war. Attached are cameos of what APPEAR to be: an untrimmed "Richmond" pattern shell, a Federal fatigue blouse, a Federal overcoat, and a four button jacket or coat (not necessarily in that order). All are enlargements from the LOC files.
    Last edited by roundshot; 01-20-2008, 04:36 PM.
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Re: CS Clothing at Antietam

I only wish he would have taken some shots from the other side of the fence, and other side of the road....
    Isaac Forman

Comment

It seems like I'm always finding myself saying the same thing. If they would have only taken pictures from a different angle I would know so much more. But I guess we have to deal with what we've got. Very interesting pictures.

Dan Ketterman
      Dan Ketterman

Comment

I never noticed before but in the 2nd photo it appears to be chevrons on his sleeve (SGT?). Or is it just me? Must have seen them a million times...... Thanks Bob.

Tony Patton
        Blue Ridge Mess
        Tony Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Resaca View Post
          I never noticed before but in the 2nd photo it appears to be chevrons on his sleeve (SGT?). Or is it just me?
          Looks like sergeant stripes to me.

Eric
          Attached Files
          Eric J. Mink
          Co. A, 4th Va Inf
          Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

The fellow with the shell jacket, is that an exit wound on his chest? Also, is it possible that some of the deceased are federal and the photo was mislabled?

Benjamin McGee

Comment

Originally posted by benjaminmcgee View Post
              The fellow with the shell jacket, is that an exit wound on his chest? Also, is it possible that some of the deceased are federal and the photo was mislabled?

Benjamin McGee
              In the first photo it look's like a sack coat a little, but then again I could be wrong. The top of the jacket is light but the bottom is darker.(Shadow maybe or bloodstain?).
              Last edited by reb290; 08-13-2007, 07:48 PM. Reason: Adding more to the reply.
              [FONT="Georgia"][/FONT] Aaron Bolis
              1st. co. Richmond Howitzers

Comment

Hey Fellas,
                While I look at the photos to research, I can't help but think if one of them is a relative who did not make it back home from the war ? I just get the creeps, kind of like when I went metal detecting and thought about what do you do if you go across a shallow grave.
                It is just ceepy to me.
                Jerry Ross
                Withdraw to Fort Donelson Feb 2012

Just a sinner trying to change

Hog Driver
                Lead ,Follow or Get out of the way !

Comment

This is a bit off topic of clothing but what is that pile of light colored stuff in the 3rd photo Bob shows? This is a guess, is it broken hardtack dumped out of that fellows haversack that is laying on his arm, apparently emtpy. Also notice the knot tied in the sling of the haversack.

Ben, those aren't exit wound they are pockets that are turned out. Like somebody has searched the body for souveniers or personal effects to send to a loved one back home.

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                  Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                  [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                  Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                  Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                  The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

This close-up is from the plate entitled "Antietam, Maryland. Bodies of dead, Louisiana Regiment" (LC-B811- 567).

Is he a Reb or a Yank? Look at the coat. It certainly appears to be a federal four-button sack. Under real tight examination, I can almost believe the buttons on the coat to be large federal eagles. Also, the cap resting on the ground next to his left hand looks like a federal forage cap.

Note the cap resting on his head. It certainly looks like a kepi/forage cap with a darker colored band around the base. Perhaps one of the Louisiana style kepis with the black band (see attached photo below)? The way the cap rests on his head, I almost wonder if it was placed there after his death. It just seems out of place or staged.

Maybe he's a Reb in Yank clothing, or a Yank who fell along the Hagerstown Pike.

Eric
                    Attached Files
                    Eric J. Mink
                    Co. A, 4th Va Inf
                    Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Notice what appears to be a federal forage cap laying off to the soldiers left hand.

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                      23rd Va. Vol. Regt.
                      Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                      (Loblolly Mess)
                      [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Were not alot of rebs utilizing Federal clothing during the campaign? Nice catch on the Louisiana style kepi. I think you pegged it.
                        Frank Perkin

Comment

The gent with the sargeant chevrons appears to have a an RD or similar-cut commutation jacket. Note the shoulder strap on the left shoulder that visible - it may be a trick of the light but it appears to have tape trim. Can't quite make out the button thats visible on his jacket but it sure looks like a large eagle/letter button. The pocket on his breast that is turned out appears to me to be an inside pocket that has been cut open from the outside and rifled. I noticed on one of the other pictures of this group that a trowser pocket on one of the bodies has been definitely cut open and rifled.
                          T. N. Harrington
                          Traveling Photographic Artist
                          Daguerreotypes and Wet-plate Collodion Photographs
                          Winchester, Virginia

Comment

Working...
                          X