Civil War photos plus more..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil War photos plus more..

Folks, in doing some research today I came across a website with a very extensive CW photos section. Many I've seen in the LOC but there were a huge amount I've never seen . They also have a great gallery on native americans and other various topics. Some of you have probably seen the sight, but for those who haven't, enjoy.

Eric N. Harley-Brown
    Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Re: Civil War photos plus more..

Great resource, THANKS! I especially enjoyed the rail road photos.
    Robert Collett
    8th FL / 13th IN
    Armory Guards
    WIG

Comment

Originally posted by toptimlrd View Post
      Great resource, THANKS!
      I second what is said above. I really like the photo's of the Trenches.
      [FONT="Georgia"][/FONT] Aaron Bolis
      1st. co. Richmond Howitzers

Comment

For some reason I get the feeling this photo is not original, but I may be wrong:
        I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
        Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
        Hard Head Mess
        Prodigal Sons Mess, Co. B 36th Illinois Infantry
        Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Originally posted by theknapsack View Post
          For some reason I get the feeling this photo is not original, but I may be wrong:
          http://www.old-picture.com/civil-war...ampfire-by.htm
          This picture was discussed once before, perhaps before the last crash; anyone remember it?
          Robert Collett
          8th FL / 13th IN
          Armory Guards
          WIG

Comment

Looks more like 1960's rather 1860s. Who knows.~Gary
            Gary Dombrowski
            [url]http://garyhistart.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

http://www.old-picture.com/civil-war...ampfire-by.htm
              Originally posted by garyjd View Post
              Looks more like 1960's rather 1860s. Who knows.~Gary

That's one I missed, but I do agree that something just isn't right. There is also the presence of the classic reenactorism " pants in sock", that makes me wonder. Who knows though, as has been stated before there are several photos of CW soldiers who have been noted for their farbyisms (?).
              Eric N. Harley-Brown

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

Actually, that photo is believed to have been made during the war. It is part of series attributed to photographer/artist Albert Bierstadt. Attached is one of the others that came from that series. It is entitled "Confederate dead on Matthews Hill," and can be found in the Library of Congress collection. It is felt that they were taken in the fall of 1861. Bierstadt received a pass to observe military movement in October 1861, which resulted in a few paintings, and supposedly these photos. These photos are obviously staged with the same individuals appearing throughout them.

Eric
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Dignann; 08-23-2007, 01:09 PM.
                Eric J. Mink
                Co. A, 4th Va Inf
                Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Originally posted by Dignann View Post
                  Actually, that photo is believed to have been made during the war. It is part of series attributed to photographer/artist Albert Bierstadt. Attached is one of the others that came from that series. It is entitled "Confederate dead on Matthews Hill," and can be found in the Library of Congress collection. It is felt that they were taken in the fall of 1861.
                  Hey! That "farby" dead Confederate has his pants tucked in his socks too. What gives?
                  Mark Hiland
                  [email]mhiland@insightbb.com[/email]

[I]In Memoriam[/I]
                  Pvt. John S. Black
                  Co. G, 9th Kentucky Cavalry, CS (Breckinridge's)

Comment

Great collection.
                    Re the campfire photo, I wonder if the photographer had his own chemical concoction to get such detail and "stop action" in a shady area -- wonder what his emulsion "film speed" would have been? Level of contrast reminds me more of Plux-X 4x5 sheet film shot with the trusty Speed Graphic in my old reporter days ... but I'm pleased to see that others are vouching for its wartime authenticity.

At first I thought this must have been taken in the open, very bright sunlight, but you can see other parts of the photo have much more light. The lads would have been fairly still so as not to lose their dinners in the fire -- but even with them posing it would be hard not to have some blurring or very shallow depth of field. I'll look for more of this guy's work.

Perhaps the original plate was underexposed and modern digitization has cleaned up the image so we can see what the photographer saw?

I've bookmarked this collection to peek back from time to time.
                    Paul Hadley
                    Boys of F64, Pantone Patrol
                    Paul Hadley

Comment

Originally posted by Dignann View Post
                      Actually, that photo is believed to have been made during the war. It is part of series attributed to photographer/artist Albert Bierstadt. Attached is one of the others that came from that series. It is entitled "Confederate dead on Matthews Hill," and can be found in the Library of Congress collection. It is felt that they were taken in the fall of 1861. Bierstadt received a pass to observe military movement in October 1861, which resulted in a few paintings, and supposedly these photos. These photos are obviously staged with the same individuals appearing throughout them.

Eric
                      Eric, thanks for the clarification, I knew someone would come along who could help fill in the blanks.
                      Eric N. Harley-Brown

Comment

Just for the record, blousing one's socks is not a reenactorism, and just so happens to be in many period photos. But that doesn't really need to be said.
                        I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
                        Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
                        Hard Head Mess
                        Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

I am sorry but I think that photo of the soldiers in camp looks fake to me. I think that the photo is a great picture of the soldiers,however,if you look close there is no blur where the one soldier is doing something in the fire. If this was a wetplate it would be fuzzy where movement is taking place
                          [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

One can't say for certain, but the low amount of blur in the photo may be the product of quick exposure time because of ample light, or because the men in the photo were very still, or we are dealing with a very good photographer.
                            I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
                            Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
                            Hard Head Mess
                            Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Originally posted by 1stSgt P. View Post
                              If this was a wetplate it would be fuzzy where movement is taking place
                              If you look closely in the lower right-hand corner, you'll see the blurring of some plants, suggesting movement.

One thing that I have contemplated, but have no documentation to back up, is that these photo were indeed taken during the war, perhaps even in 1861 (dark blue trousers on the one fellow), but that the subjects are not soldiers. I agree they just don't seem to have the look or feel of soldiers to me. Perhaps Bierstadt got some folks to dress up and pose for the images. Again, I have no documentation, just speculation.

Eric
                              Eric J. Mink
                              Co. A, 4th Va Inf
                              Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Working...
                              X