Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Federal Image

Hello all,
    I came across this outstanding image on Ebay...Nice study of his forage cap with Infantry horn (which I believe is the M1858 pattern), and of special interest is his overcoat, which does not appear to follow any issue pattern. Especially noticeable are what appear to be two stripes on the upper left (his left) shoulder...These appear to be in a lighter color than the coat...Any thoughts? Best regards.

Tom "Mingo" Machingo
    Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
    Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
    Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
    KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Re: Interesting Federal Image

humm, that is an interesting picture.

Well, the guy is wearing civilian clothing, except for the non-regulation but military-looking overcoat and the cap.

I would agree that the stripes on the sleeve look to be Corpl chevrons.Its odd that they are on the overcoat (well, then again, if it is not a regulation overcoat, why follow regs for chevrons?)

I recall Daniel Chisholm writing about having his image taken. He apologized to his family for not wearing a civilian shirt and tie for the pic. Maybe some soldiers felt is was more appropriate to wear a civilian tie and/or shirt when having an image made????

I also recall reading about new volunteers and draftees not being issued military clothing until they reached Washington. Chisholm notes that they didnt get the "blue suit" until they had arrived in Alexandria VA. I recall one account (sorry, i cant remember where this was, so discredit if you like) that noted the new recruits picked up military clothing items as they traveled from their state to their mustering site untill they were officially issued a complete uniform. I recall that the commanding officer was ashamed of marching his civilain clad new troops through his state in route to Washington. Somehow they received coats in short order, but nothing else.

This is a great leap here, but my guess would be this guy is a new recruit who was issued an overcoat and cap (or purchased an overcoat and cap on his own).
    [B]Mike Wilkins[/B]

Comment

I agree...I too thinks it's an Early-War image....At first, I thought he might be sporting an open frock coat, displaying his civilian vest underneath, but the material seems to be much thicker, more like an overcoat. I find it interesting how high up on the shoulder the chevrons are, as opposed to being mid-upper arm, and affixed to one shoulder only. Also, there seems to be some type of patch attached between the fabric of the cap and the Infantry horn....Tom
      Tom "Mingo" Machingo
      Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
      Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
      Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
      KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

That pattern of bugle cap ornament is the type generally seen on photos of early war New Hampshire volunteers.
        Bob Williams
        26th North Carolina Troops
        Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Did anyone else happen to notice that he appears to be wearing an earring?
          Your most humble servant,

Richard Green...

aka,
          "Professor Barclay: The Wizard of Edinburgh!"
          [url]www.wizardofedinburgh.com[/url]

Comment

I have been doing alot of research on early war and militia units since I have changed all my gear to an early war impression for living histories. This is indeed a militia Uniform probably the picture was taken before Bull Run, as his unifrom would be changed in the period of time after the battle the army was refitting and training. After this period most militia uniforms were converted to the standard fatigue uniform of the state. Just my 2 cents I have seen pitures with similar coats that were labled with 1860 as the year and having what looks like a gold cheverons on the sleeve but infantry markings on the cap.
            Drew Ingram
            7th NJ CO A
            2nd Battalion
            6th Marines
            WIA: FALLUJAH, IRAQ

Comment

He does seem to have a "hoop" style earring in his right ear.
              Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
              49th Ohio
              Huber Heights #777 F&AM

"The moralities of this company are not as good as they used to be, there is much swearing and abuse." Francis Kiene 49th OVI

Comment

I have several images of men from the 1860s with this style earring.

My take is that this is not necessarily a militia uniform. The gent could be a civilian who is, was or will be a soldier and he is wearing part of his uniform (cap and greatcoat) or photgrapher's props.

Comment

Working...
                X