Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alleged USMC image - EBay

Current and prospective Leathernecks might be interested in this image:

Given the photo backmark, and assuming the uniform ID is correct, the individual shown was an enlisted Marine probably assigned to "Eighth and Eye." Folks knowledgeable about Civil War era Washington may well be able to precisely locate where the "National Gallery" was located on Pennsylvania Avenue. However, it probably wasn't more than a couple of miles northwest of 8th & I Streets (S.E.) as well as the Washington Navy Yard.

I have attached the listing photos to this post to ensure they won't be lost.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Attached Files
    Last edited by markj; 10-22-2007, 02:26 PM.
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Re: Alleged USMC image - EBay

Hes not an "8th an I" enlisted Marine he is a Member of the Marine Corps Band there is no wa to tell if he was 8th and I or not without more knowledge of the person in the Photo. The uniform is a Band Full Dress Frock with all the Red trimmings and Red Fringe on the Shoulder scales. One thing people may not know is that the Enlisted Marine Shoulder Scales were made so you can still wear the scales and clip on and off the Fringe. It is not all one Peice. It is indeed a nice image if you are a band geek lol! I would buy it if it was an Enlisted Marine Infantryman
    Drew Ingram
    7th NJ CO A
    2nd Battalion
    6th Marines
    WIA: FALLUJAH, IRAQ

Comment

Drew,

I don't mean to be sniping at your opinion about this image, I just want to point out my view on what is portrayed in the CDV image...

I read the e-bay auction notice carefully. No where does it identify that the CDV is of a bandsman. It does use a period image of a Marine Private in uniform and a modern image of an antique Marine Bandsman's Dress Frock as examples.

Taking into account that Daguerrotypes often captured yellow or gold uniform trimming as a dark color, I would say that this is Marine Private in the CDV as opposed to a Bandsman without further evidence or information.

Semper Fi...
      Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

You can tell the difference easily.... Compared to CDV of enlisted Marines in FUll dress you can clearly see the seperation of the 2 collar decoraion that are in gold in the CDV image. In the band images Ive seen it is hard to see the seperation due to the 3 dark colors next to eachother, This is how I can tell its a band Member unless the uniform is really dirty or thier is poor lighting which can not be the case becaus of the image clarity.
        Drew Ingram
        7th NJ CO A
        2nd Battalion
        6th Marines
        WIA: FALLUJAH, IRAQ

Comment

Working...
        X