Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decorative Knit Cap Photo on eBay

All,

I thought I'd post this interesting image I found on eBay.

Check out his elaborate knit cap (with pom-pom!). It's definitely something I've never seen in an image before! Looks like the guy grabbed it from the head of a 1970's teenager.
    Brian White
    [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
    [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
    [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Re: Decorative Knit Cap Photo on eBay

What a great image. It's hard to be certain, but I suspect from the stitch pattern and the way the colors alternate that this is a crocheted, not knitted hat.

What are your thoughts on his handwriting?
    Regards,
    Deborah Hyland
    dance mistress

Comment

The handwritten letter? I thought that might be either a transcription of an entry from the diary (which I presumed to be the leather-bound item next to the handwritten letter) or the "HAND WRITTEN DESCRIPTION OF THE DIARY" referred to in the sale entry. I didn't take it to be an actual copy of a diary entry, in the soldier's hand.

Pam Kingsley-Bryda

Comment

Originally posted by Deborah Hyland View Post
        What a great image. It's hard to be certain, but I suspect from the stitch pattern and the way the colors alternate that this is a crocheted, not knitted hat.

I would suspect crocheted as well, but what a fabulous image!

Colleen
        [FONT=FranklinGothicMedium][color=darkslategray][size=1]Colleen Formby
        [URL=www.agsas.org]AGSAS[/URL]
        [URL]www.geocities.com/col90/civilwar.html[/URL] [/font][/color][/size][SIZE="2"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Deborah Hyland View Post

There are a lot of variations in 19th century handwriting, but this very strongly suggests 20th century Palment method to me, both in the simple form of the capitals and in the proportions of the letters.
          Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Hello,
            It's interesting that the seller has deleted the image from his listing....Ya think he knew something we all didn't...???;)
            Tom "Mingo" Machingo
            Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
            Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
            Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
            KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

What was transcribed wasn't a diary either. It was clearly a letter.
              Regards,
              Deborah Hyland
              dance mistress

Comment

Originally posted by Secesh View Post
                Hello,
                It's interesting that the seller has deleted the image from his listing....Ya think he knew something we all didn't...???;)
                I'm so glad you said that. I've been messing with this auction on and off for 30 minutes trying to see something more than the blurry image in the master listing.
                Terre Hood Biederman
                Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

I have purcahsed period images off and on for the past 15 years or so, for myself and for friends, and have often run across images listed as period that were obviously reenactors. Buyer beware!!! Best regards.
                  Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                  Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                  Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                  Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                  KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

The handwriting is late 20th or early 21st century. Looks like some kind of sharpie or rollerball writing on modern blue-lined paper. The letter was probably transcribed by the owner.

19th century letters were usually written in ink & steel nibs, so you can see the thick and thin lines (where there was more or less ink in the nib); in this case you can see that all of the writing is of uniform thickness. Some other points to consider: in 19th century letters, the ink often fades to a brown; the paper was usually folded in half to create a smaller writing surface; and the letters are usually completely connected. 19th century writers didn't often omit the starting or ending tails. I've seen plenty of letters written on blue-lined paper, though.
                    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Silvana R. Siddali[/SIZE][/FONT]
                    [URL="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/home"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Star of the West Society[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][B]
                    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Cherry Bounce G'hal[/B][/COLOR]:wink_smil

Comment

Working...
                    X