I Troop, 2nd U.S. Cavalry, in a column of twos - 1863

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Troop, 2nd U.S. Cavalry, in a column of twos - 1863

I just love this Photo. It is titled; Lieutenant Thomas B. Dewee leads I Troop, 2nd U.S. Cavalry, in a column of twos near its camp at Falmouth, Virginia, in the summer of 1863.

This is from the Time Life Book; The Civil War: Gettysburg: The Confederate high Tide. Pages 36 and 37.

I was able to also find it on the Library of Congress site however it is a scan right from the book and not from the original. Which is apparently in the Museum of the Confederacy. I have written the MOC to see if I can get a better quality print or scan but have not yet heard back.

One note of interest, is that according to the description on the Library of Congress site - the column is leaving for Gettysburg. I find this a bit suspect as they were obviously prepared for the photo (White gloves on, chinstraps down, position of 'carry saber") - however I suppose it's still quite possible that they decided it would be a good time to do it as they were already mounted and equipped (just a guess).

Anyway, there are so few shots of Civil War Cavalry riding in formation that to me, this is a gem.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DaveGink; 11-06-2007, 10:52 AM. Reason: Grammatical error. Additional thoughts.
    Dave Gink
    2nd US Cavalry
    West Bend, WI

Re: I Troop, 2nd U.S. Cavalry, in a column of twos - 1863

What a site it would have been to see a hundred or so of these troopers storming down a country road! Great Image!
    Regards,
    Eliot Toscano
    Independent Brute
    Putting on no style...

"Six children from the local village appeared wearing [U][B]fallacious accoutrements & reprehensible baggage [/B][/U]and thought they would put a sham battle on for our amusement. We laughed so hard at their imitation of soldiers that our sides were hurting for hours."
    A.R. Crawford in the 76th Illinois Infantry, Co D - April 1863 - The origin of FARB

Comment

Re: I Troop, 2nd U.S. Cavalry, in a column of twos - 1863

What a site it would have been to see a hundred or so of these troopers storming down a country road! Great Image!
      Regards,
      Eliot Toscano
      Independent Brute
      Putting on no style...

"Six children from the local village appeared wearing [U][B]fallacious accoutrements & reprehensible baggage [/B][/U]and thought they would put a sham battle on for our amusement. We laughed so hard at their imitation of soldiers that our sides were hurting for hours."
      A.R. Crawford in the 76th Illinois Infantry, Co D - April 1863 - The origin of FARB

Comment

Working...
      X