Photo of Engineers from 8th NYSM 1861

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo of Engineers from 8th NYSM 1861

I came across this Photo in the NA. It is of the Engineers from 8th NYSM in 1861. Things that stand out are the militia uniforms, Engineer hat brass, boots, the 1855 Harpers Ferry rifles with patch boxes and bayonets along w/1855 muskets, and engineer work tools. I also like how they draped the flag in the doorway. There is a fly over the cabin tent also. Even a civilian worker!

http://www.archives.gov/research/civ...il-war-005.jpg

There are all sorts of details to numerous to mention. All in all I thought this was an excellent photo! I thought I'd share it here.
    Attached Files
    [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
    Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
    Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
    The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Re: Photo of Engineers from 8th NYSM 1861

Great shot! Look at the size of that broom!!!
    Tom "Mingo" Machingo
    Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
    Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
    Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
    KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Working...
    X