Period Tinted Eyepieces or Sunglasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Period Tinted Eyepieces or Sunglasses

I thought I would would share this fine post-Civil War Carte De Visite of soldier David H. Wintress of 139th NYV, Co C blinded from war.
    This is the first image I've seen of someone wearing tinted eyepieces.

Click on image to enlarge.
    http://homepage.mac.com/mfarnsley/PhotoAlbum17.html
    nastt
    Michael Farnsley
    aka Thomas Nast

Re: Period Tinted Eyepieces or Sunglasses

Actually I bought a pair of tinted glasses at Gettysburg in one of the shops, and did some research on them. From what I found, folks didn't wear sunglasses in general, (as evidenced by most period photos, and contrary to the re-make of The Wild Wild West!) but if you were diagnosed by a doctor as having "weak eyes" often tinted glasses were worn. Not "weak eyes" in the sense of near sightedness, but I think sensitivity to light, etc.
    I will look through my files to see if I can find the references, as this is from my memory of the research. If I find them, I'll post them here.
    Frank Siltman
    24th Mo Vol Inf
    Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
    Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
    Company of Military Historians
    Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Just in the Nick of Time. I have just posted the image the last week of October and just yesterday a young lady emails me after googling and searching for her ancestor David H. Wintress. I have found another image of my great great grandfather at a young age. She seemed thrilled that I had somehow posted at the right time, its a small world sometimes. She emailed me another Carte of him circa 1890s or 1900 in his fine garb and GAR Medals. See link:

nastt
      Michael Farnsley
      aka Thomas Nast

Comment

Good morning, Gents-

"Sunglasses" were a postwar invention and didn't gain popularity until the 1940s after they were in-use by aviators in WWII and were cheap enough for your average person to afford. Glasses of any sort were pretty expensive before that time period- hence the unpopularity of "sun" glasses.

But...

I have always heard the advanced stages of syphillis make the eyes sensitive to light and therefore it was (?) period practice to wear "smoked" lenses in glasses as a way for the afflicted person to cope with such problems.

Is this a load of hooey? I don't know.

If this was true... Might these lenses have been prescribed for blind people? I'd think so...

I've always been curious about the subject.

-Johnny
        Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 11-28-2007, 11:01 AM.
        Johnny Lloyd
        John "Johnny" Lloyd
        Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
        SCAR
        Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
        Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
        Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
        Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

I'd like to suggest that you read some of Sarah Parton's books, such as Fanny Fern's Portfolio, Caper Sauce, Folly As It Flies, and Gingersnaps. In almost every volume FF mentions her distaste for women who wear tinted eyeglasses when they travel on trains, especially those touring Niagara Falls. Nope, they wore 'sunglasses' mid-century.

antique books - our original search engine.
          Mfr,
          Judith Peebles.
          No Wooden Nutmegs Sold Here.
          [B]Books![B][/B][/B] The Original Search Engine.

Comment

Reach back a generation or so, into the collection at Mount Vernon of George Washington's personal belongings. There to find spectacles with sliding temples, and hinged double lenses--prescription in the main frame, tinted glass in the swivel lenses. The provenance attributes them to his days as a young surveyor.

Now, I'd have thought these an anomaly, or a thing belonging only to a prosperous man, but the folks reproducing them had 3 originals in their collection, in addition to the photographic documentation from Mount Vernon.

And, while I have mid-19th century reproduction spectacles, anytime the sun is bright, I'm quick to rummage for 'papa's spectacles' to prevent a real migraine.
            Terre Hood Biederman
            Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
            Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Judith-

Just curious, but did these women Mrs. Porton mentions in her books have syphillis... maybe that's why she expresses her distaste for them? Just a thought...

Glasses of any sort (even today's prescription ones) were an expensive item for someone of average means in the 1800s (much like pocket watches- jeweler's items are always expensive due to demand/skills/equipment necessary to make such items).

How "common" are we talking about these lenses being worn in the 1800s? Please define. For some reason, I have a hard time believing them to be very common. In their eyes in the 1800s, if I'd need an expensive pair of glasses out of medical necessity- I'd get practical clear lenses as darkened lenses are not useful at night.

Clarification of above- cheap, inexpensive sunglasses (and those aviators wore after WWII) made "sunglasses" as we know them today. "Smoked" lenses coloring are different than modern sunglasses and the idea, while not "common" (yet again, define common) in the 1800s, was used.

Mrs. Lawson-

Was Washington rich when he was a surveyor or, at least, monetarily well-off? Supposing all of the above- Out of luxury (as in having enough money to get some made for surveying) or medical necessity he might have had them made???

All-

Funny, in all of the images you see from the Civil War, you RARELY see anyone using tinted specs- this tells us something. Thoughts?

-Johnny

PS- see also "Cigarettes in the 1800s: Common or Uncommon" for guidance in this discussion? LOL ;)
              Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 11-28-2007, 01:14 PM.
              Johnny Lloyd
              John "Johnny" Lloyd
              SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Lloyd View Post
                Judith-
                Just curious, but did these women Mrs. Porton mentions in her books have syphillis... maybe that's why she expresses her distaste for them? Just a thought...
                Can we either let the syphilis myth die, or find some documentation that people with tinted glasses were suspected of having syphilis in the period? :)

Funny, in all of the images you see from the Civil War, you RARELY see anyone using tinted specs- this tells us something. Thoughts?
                I think this is one of those things where it depends on the group. In some subsets of people, it was "common." In others, it was extremely rare. And as you noted, among young athletic men (i.e. soldiers) it was rare. (An exception might be yellow shooting or scenery-viewing spectacles--don't know about them.)

When tinted lenses are mentioned in the period, the assumption is that the wearer has weak eyes that are especially sensitive to light, but the connotation is that the wearer is (to mix period and modern terms, and positive and negative connotations) bookish, uptight, preachy, spinsterish, nerdy, scholarly, studious, the ivory-tower or Mrs. Grundy or "strong-minded women's rights" sort.

I'd guess that Sarah Parton disliked women in tinted lenses not because she suspected them of having syphilis, but just the opposite--they'd be uptight and spinsterish. Now I'm curious to see what she says in context!

So unlike modern sunglasses, worn by just about everyone and with a sporty, outdoorsy or intimidating connotation, tinted lenses in the period would be worn more for a specific condition and/or for a scholarly or preacherly fashion statement.

Just looked for a Parton (Fanny Fern) reference, and couldn't find women wearing them, but here's a perfect example of a man: "...peering over his green spectacles, [he] remarked: 'Our paper, madam, is most em-phat-i-cal-ly a paper devoted to the interests of religion; no frivolous jests, no love-sick ditties, no fashionable sentimentalism, finds a place in its columns. This is a serious world, madam..." (from Ruth Hall by Fanny Fern)

Below is a cut-and-paste of some research Linda did a while ago on tinted lenses and syphilis in the period, as well as the social connotation of tinted lenses in general.

The following is Linda's research and comments

Scientific American, 1857 "To weakness of the eyes:'We should judge that, as you suggest, blue spectacles would convert the yellow rays of artificial light into a green tint, more agreeable and less irritating to weak or sore eyes...'"

I just took a look at the section on Venereal Disease in Dr. Gunn, 1861, and surprisingly enough he doesn't even mention weak-eyes as a symptom or a problem with either syphilis, or gonorrhea. The same with Dr. Imray's Popular Cyclopedia of Modern Domestic Medicine, 1850.

Evening at Newport. Harper's New Monthly Magazine. July 1855, p. 230 at a fashionable watering-place a gentleman at the hop there was described as wearing blue spectacles and was talking about the "frivolity of society," he considers "a little amusement as superfluous." It goes on to say, "He stands aside at balls, and, not having an ear for music, sneers at dancing, is a lawyer, and devotes his days to searching title-deeds and prosecuting claims."

Out-doors at Idlewild, N. P. Willis, New York, C. Scribner, 1855 p. 296 "Without the refuge of blue spectacles, the dazzling glare of the sunshine on the snow would make prisoners of the weak-eyed classes in sleighing time, ..."

Akin by Marriage. The Atlantic Monthly, Jan. 1858 a young lady and her sister (the latter pushing her younger sister to marry a gentleman). The younger sister says, "I don't like him, and think he's so disagreeable,--and oh yes! there's another thing,--he wears blue spectacles,--ugh! blue spectacles!" Her older sister says, "Well, I'll agree that a pale, studious face and blue spectacles are good reasons for hating a man. Now let me say a word or two in his favor, notwithstanding, and also in favor of a plan with I had supposed was agreed upon... [she went on to ask] if Mr. Hunt was not good and pious, and of blameless life and reputation; extorting from Laura an affirmative reply to each seperate inquiry." The article again continues by saying, "such a good offer, especially to one in your circumstances, from such a worthy, talented, pious young clergyman, whose preference [names of ladies], with their thousands would be glad to win... I do say, Laura, that you ought to give better reasons for refusing him, nay, for jilting him, after a two-years' engagement, than that his cheeks are pale and his spectacles blue."

Why would someone encourage her sister to marry a man and say that his "pale, studious face and blue spectacles" are not good enoughreasons to reject a man, if they were well known to be worn by people with a VD?

Military dictionary, Henry Lee Scott New York, D. Van Nostrand, 1861, p. 412
                Snow-blindness.--In civilized life blue spectacles are, as is well known, an indispensable accompaniement to snow-mountain expeditions. The Esquimaux adopt the following equivalent: They cut a piece of soft wood to the curvature of the face. It is about two inches thick, and extends horizontally quite across both eyes, and rests on the nose, where a notch is cut to act in the same way as the bridge of a pair of spectacles...

Mr. Martin's Disappointments. The Atlantic Monthly. Sept. 1863 p. 282
                "A large fortune is left to my hero, who forthwith becomes enamored of a fair damsel; but fearful lest the beloved object should worship his money more than his merits, he disguises himself in a wig and blue spectacles, becomes tutor to her brother, and wins her affections while playing pedagogue."

A lady writing a play chose for her hero to wear blue spectacles and pretend to be a tutor to her brother in order to win her love without letting on that he had money. Why would a wealthy man go through so much trouble to wear a symbol of a VD if he wanted to win a fair lady's hand?

Gallipolis [Ohio] Journal (newspaper) I was just going through some old advertisements from our local (1863) paper and found an ad for a very nice jewelry store here in town. Among the things they were selling include: All kinds of watches, alarm clocks, silver and plated spoons, gold and plated lockets, fancy hair pins, and yes, colored spectacles

Granted it doesn't state the colors, but somehow after my previous readings I can't help but to wonder if this isn't where those studious people would have gotten their glasses

John King, The Causes, symptoms, diagnosis, pathology, and treatment of
                chronic diseases, Cincinnati, Moore, Wilstach & Baldwin, 1867
                Mentions cobalt blue lenses for both sclerotico-choroiditis posterior and glaucoma. P. 1481 and 1487. But I have yet to see them mentioned specifically for VD. Though they are constantly recommended for people with weak-eyes.

The Surgeon's Story. Appletons' Journal, Nov. 18, 1871, p. 570
                "In the carriage... a tall old man in blue spectacles, who seemed to be a writing teacher."

Matthew Brady, the famous CW-era photographer was another example of a man who wore blue spectacles due to light sensitivity. So yes, definately, upstanding citizens of mid and late 19th century communities also wore blue spectacles :-)

The Mimic World, Philadelphia, Pa., Cincinnati, O. New-world Publishing
                Company; 1871.
                "In a frantic manner he sprang to his feet and executed a 'forward two' in true Parisian style, and with such utter abandon that a mild old lady knitting socks with a pair of blue spectacles--I mean, knitting spectacles with a pair of blue socks--well, at all events, evidently under an impression that this soldier was going mad very suddenly, she uttered a terrific shriek and bolted."

Heinrich Goullon, Scrofulous Affections and the Advantages of their
                Treatment... Homeopathy. New York, Philadelphia : Boericke & Tafel, 1872.Alright, that one's a little too technical and has tons of Latin letters that my keyboard won't type, but again, the blue lenses are for a specific eye disease, and not for an STD.

Henry Clay Angell, MD, A Treatise on Diseases of the Eye, Boston: James Campbell, 1873. writes "Eye protectors made of curved blue glass are the best [Eye Protectors]. Goggles with wire, silk, or glass sides keep the eye, as a general rule, too close and warm. For photophobia, simple blue spectacles of plain glass are generally sufficient, and may be darker or lighter in shade, according to the amount of protection required. Brown or smoke-colored glasses may be used, if preferred. The latter cut off all the rays of light, and consequently render vision somewhat less distinct, while blue glasses, excluding the orange rays only, interfere les with the clear definition of objects. Green glasses protect the eye from the red rays alone; but it is the orange rays which are most intolerable to a sensitive retina.
                Hank Trent
                hanktrent@voyager.net
                Hank Trent

Comment

Hank-
                  So, they were worn by people with "weak eyes" (whatever this truly meant to them in the 1860s medical community at large) or uppity/eccentric people...? Certainly not "commonly" amongst "average" people like today.

If anyone finds the syphilis attribution 1st person source to this one, please post it here for everyone's greater edification.

I hope this is the consensus. As I said earlier... this is getting to be the "cigarettes: common or uncommon in the US in the 1860s?" debate- yes, it was "common"/no it wasn't... yadda... yadda. :D:wink_smil

I have observed that when people wear "syphilis glasses" (possibly a reenactorism from the evidence presented so far on this thread??) at events, they are called the "farbs" by others. Haven't you seen this?

Great discussion. Always wondered about this one -Johnny
                  Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 11-28-2007, 02:26 PM. Reason: Can't see with these blane dark lenses on indoors...!
                  Johnny Lloyd
                  John "Johnny" Lloyd
                  SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Heres the soldiers account on how he lost his sight during the war.
                    David H. Wintress, a member of the 139th NY Vol. Company C, was wounded by accident. Another man on picket duty with David had not abided by the rule "when a soldier lays down, while on duty, he must lay his muskit by him, with the muzzle pointing from him, and not to cap it, till he is ready to fire it." This man laid down, gun capped and pointed at company members heads. Another member of the company who had not seen "the mistake" accidentally struck the hammer of the musket which caused it to discharge and strike David full force in the head.

"...the ball had entered my left-cheek, passing upward, had forced fragments of the cheek-bone into, and had completely destroyed the left eye. Continuing on its course, it broke the nazle bones in the nose, turning passed through the front of My Brain, and the ball then made its escape by forcing out the right eye, and then through the peek of my cap. (I have my cap yet)."

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Lloyd View Post
                      I have observed that when people wear "syphilis glasses" (possibly a reenactorism from the evidence presented so far on this thread??) at events, they are called the "farbs" by others. Haven't you seen this?
                      Honestly, I don't recall seeing anyone in dark glasses at an event in a long time, or if they were, nobody including me noticed because it fit right in with their portrayal.

But, yes, many years ago, and also in online conversations, the usual thing seems to be that others used the syphilis thing to ridicule reenactors who wear tinted lenses, as a peer-pressure way of getting them to quit, because they were supposed to be farby and/or a sign of depravity.

Sigh. The blind leading the blind, no pun intended. :) That's wrong no several levels because 1) Tinted lenses are period and 2) they've got nothing to do with syphilis and 3) yes, someone in tinted lenses who wasn't hopelessly disabled might endure a bit of ridicule in the period, but for looking like a nerd, not a sexual libertine.

If anyone wants to make the case that tinted glasses were connected in some people's minds with syphilis in the period, here's the chance! I'd like to see the documentation, because I sure can't find it!

Hank Trent
                      hanktrent@voyager.net
                      Hank Trent

Comment

I'm not sure if the word "sunglasses" is 20th century or not, but certainly tinted lenses were known for a century before the Civil War. I have a pair of 4-lensed dark blue glasses that belonged to one of my wife's ancestors. His father fought in the Revolution, so that would place these particular brass-framed glasses sometime in the early 19th century. The period frames I wear, with my own lenses now, originally came to me with lenses that were tinted light blue. There is a Poe story (Murders in the Rue Morgue?) in which one of the characters wears tinted glasses. Poe had been dead for years before the war, and this reference is clearly to something that was common. I don't think glasses were as expensive as we have been led to believe they were. You don't see many of them in photos, but then again, you don't see many of them in mid-20th century photos either, for the same reason: glare. In the late 18th century, glasses were so cheap that people bought them from street vendors and sometimes wore them propped on their foreheads, even though they didn't need them to see. Sorry if any of this has been covered before.
                        Rob Weaver
                        Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
                        "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
                        [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

"In the late 18th century, glasses were so cheap that people bought them from street vendors and sometimes wore them propped on their foreheads, even though they didn't need them to see."

Does anyone on here have documentary evidence of this? I'd be curious to see this. An explanation (possibly a reenactorism in this case?) as to why people aren't seen in period photographs wearing glasses, much less tinted ones, very often is that glasses were a specialty-made items for the wearer, therefore expense was a factor for someone of modest means.

Rob, not throwing a barb to doubt what you said here, but I would love to see evidence cited as reference in this particular situation. I have an original 1840s pair of glasses I use for living history (I take them off before I do anything active on a field at an event- no worries) and I'd like to know how expensive glasses were for a person of "average" means in the mid-1800s.

Thanks! -Johnny
                          Johnny Lloyd
                          John "Johnny" Lloyd
                          SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Your wish is my command, sir: "Spectacles, 1760-1783" by Alan McBrayer, "The Brigade Dispatch (Journal of the Brigade of the American Revolution), Vol. XXXIII, No. 1, Spring 2003. An essay of so much valuable material that it is impractical to quote at length, but a few gems:
                            1) Color: April 11, 1771 Virginia Gazatte advertisement offering "purple" lenses. Possibly a light violet
                            2) Cost and availability: The average cost of spectacles evaluated in estates seems to have been about 3 shillings, a cost adjusted modern price of between $6-$7 USD.
                            It's also worth remembering that most eyeglasses were still the "reading" variety that can be had at Walmart for under $20. You simply tried on a pair until you could see. Hey, anybody else old enough to remember when your parents used to tell you that you'd hurt your eyes by wearing someone else's glasses?
                            Rob Weaver
                            Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
                            "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
                            [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Interesting, Rob-

Question is now: How much was the "average" (define this however you want for your own impression) person making and could they afford to buy glasses?

How about availability? Widespread or not?? (Again, define "widespread" for your particular impression...)

For my impression, I come from the city and do the period equivalent of "deskwork", so I'd think glasses and eyeglass makers would be more common for someone from there than your country-farmfolk.

Thanks! Great discussion...

-Johnny
                              Johnny Lloyd
                              John "Johnny" Lloyd
                              SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Working...
                              X