BADGER ALERT-possible 7th Wisconnsin Iron Brigade-Unknown Image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BADGER ALERT-possible 7th Wisconnsin Iron Brigade-Unknown Image

Here is a period image of a suspected 7th Wisconsin "Iron Brigade", Co H soldier. The Image is in currently for sale by and owned Tim Prince of Hill of College Arsenal. He is wearing a frock, has a fully dressed "Hardee hat" and carrying a Lorenz. An early image I think. All of you Badgers check it out and give us your opinion!

What do you think, 7th Wisconsin or not? Only 8 original Corporals, James Brunnimer, Edward Heber, John Jenkins, Nathaniel Johnson, John Montieth, Grandison Newell, Tanner Thomas, and Livingston Wagers. It's not Ed Heber I found a Pic of him.

I saw pics of Jefferson Coates, CMH winner and Thomas Tanner but I don't think it is eithr one but I couldn't tell.
    Attached Files
    [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
    Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
    Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
    The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Re: BADGER ALERT-possible 7th Wisconnsin Iron Brigade-Unknown Image

Michael,

What points to him being a member of the 7th Wisc.? Is the numeral in the center of the horn definitely a "7"?

Eric
    Eric J. Mink
    Co. A, 4th Va Inf
    Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

yes there is. Look at College Hill sight for a better copy. Here is the link!

http://www.collegehillarsenal.com/sh...cat=270&page=1
      [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
      Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
      Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
      Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
      The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

It certainly looks like a possible 7th Wis. image. What other details might give up some info on this? Anybody else have some input?
        Dale Campbell
        The Pine River Boys - 7th Wis., Co. I

Comment

The "kicker" here is that this fellow seems to be wearing dark blue trousers, whereas the 7th was wearing sky blues at the time they were issued their famous black hats. This according to Madaus Iron Brigade uniform study in Herdegen & Beaudot's "In the Bloody Railroad Cut at Gettysburg." Something does not compute. They did receive an issue of some dark blues but quickly farmed them out to another in the brigade.
          Last edited by roundshot; 12-18-2007, 05:16 PM.
          Bob Williams
          26th North Carolina Troops
          Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Gentlemen,

The kicker for me is the Lorenz. The 7th WI was issued Lorenz's and I can find no other US unit with the designation 7 that was issued those guns. Your mileage may vary, but I think the evidence is stronger that he is 7th WI, than not.
            [SIZE=1]Your most humble and obedient servant,[/SIZE]
            [SIZE=2]Tim Prince[/SIZE]
            [I]Member CWDCA (The Civil War Dealers & Collectors Association)
            Member CWPT (Civil War Preservation Trust)
            Member The Company of Military Historians
            Member SABC (Society of American Bayonet Collectors)
            Hiram Lodge #7 F&AM
            [/I][URL=http://www.collegehillarsenal.com]collegehillarsenal.com[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Prince View Post
              Gentlemen,

The kicker for me is the Lorenz. The 7th WI was issued Lorenz's and I can find no other US unit with the designation 7 that was issued those guns. Your mileage may vary, but I think the evidence is stronger that he is 7th WI, than not.
              Well the dark blue pants are a real kicker.....and we are Assuming that he was Issued the Lorenz.....there are enough pictures out there of soldier's armed to the teeth, the same F Cavalry Trumpet that shows up in numerous CDV's, the painted canvas camp scene backdrops, etc.... for all we know he borrowed it from the studio....

you wonder if there's anything behind the picture in that leather jacket......
              RJ Samp
              (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
              Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

the 2nd wisconsin was also issued the lorenz, and they wore dark blue pants
                [I][FONT="Garamond"]Jaime George
                5th Virginia, Company A
                Stonewall Brigade

"I'm doing much better, now that I've given up hope..."[/FONT][/I]

Comment

Working...
                X