Beer Buddies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer Buddies

Thought this was a cool pic of two Hoosier Zouaves with beer mugs in hand.Love the hat too!Posted this on a diffrent board a while back,thought I would share it here.Scroll to the bottom picture.

sigpic
    Grandad Wm. David Lee
    52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
    - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Re: Beer Buddies

Scott-

Bully pic, I like the creased hat on the one on the left... very rakish. The guy on the right has the same-looking hat, so it must have been either issued or they bought the hats together...?

While we're talking about it... let's ask the question for debate everyone wants to know-

How "common" was beer to a Civil War soldier? More for North or South? How about imported beer? Regionally/time-of-year a specialty or not? Sold by sutlers?

Was 1860s beer fizzy like today- I'd think not due to the difficulty of keeping "fizz" of beer in a wooden barrel... hmmm?

Evidence to support assertions is a must on this one as any debate should be on here.

Yep, I used the search engine first on this one. ;)

Mods, if this needs another thread category, please move it accordingly.

- Johnny

PS- Can't wait to carry Guinness to a quality event.
    Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 12-14-2007, 02:34 PM. Reason: It's 5 o'clock somewhere
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Scott,

are you sure it's beer. I drink my coffe out of that type of mug.

RM
      Rod Miller
      [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
      A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
      1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
      1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
      1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
      1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
      Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
      1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
      Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

I'm not sure what it is,but the mugs appear to have a "head" on them to me.
        sigpic
        Grandad Wm. David Lee
        52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
        - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Rmhisteach View Post
          Scott,

are you sure it's beer. I drink my coffe out of that type of mug.

RM
          I've seen that look before. I'd vote beer...

Scott Bumpus

Comment

When a guy called "boozie" says its beer, why would you question it? ;)
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger
            Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Here's another great picture of some beer buddies http://www.blueacornpress.com/Western36.jpg
              If you will notice the guy on the lower right is pouring some liquid refreshment!
              Rick Spencer
              19th U.S. infantry, The Rock Of Chickamauga!
              Ohio Valley Civil War Assoc.
              66th ill. Birge's Western Sharpshooters
              [url]www.ovcwa.com[/url]

Comment

The guy on the left looks like Erol Flynn in Robin Hood with that lid.
                Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

I'm off to put on my jaunty hat and pour a pint. Boozie I'll pour one out for you too for sharing that great pic.

Edward Parrott
                  "HUM hic..BUG"
                  Last edited by Pvt Peck; 12-14-2007, 08:03 PM. Reason: Removed post war reference
                  Edward Anthony Parrott
                  "Humbug"

Comment

Hi-

Any fizzy will do... no particular type. Obviously I'd like to see this turn into a discourse on beer and how it accurately relates to our impressions. Recipies are fine, but how does the final product relate to our impressions?

Again Mods, if this needs to be moved for such please do so.

1869? You're close to period, but no cigar. The only period book I know of dealing with alcohol was The Bon Vivant's Companion published in California in 1863, I believe. I've read some of it and it looks to be liquor-heavy and I don't recall anything mentioned in it about beer. It was a bartender's bible of the period, not a brewmaster's recipe

Cheers -Johnny
                    Johnny Lloyd
                    John "Johnny" Lloyd
                    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                    SCAR
                    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

That pic is a dandy, not only for it's contribution to libational history but showing those interesting Indiana quasi-zouave jackets as well. Beer? Oh yea. Often mentioned as Lager in contemporary accounts. Thanks, Mr. Boozie.
                      Bob Williams
                      26th North Carolina Troops
                      Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Those photos are great (and now I'm going to try to get of copy of that Western Sharpshooters book!) and here are some possible answers to inquiries about beer:

Here's hoping that - burb - helps.
                        Paul Hadley
                        A Man's Gotta Do Something To Keep Warm Mess
                        Paul Hadley

Comment

Wondering.......

Was this regiment actually designated as a zouave unit, or could the troops be wearing furlough jackets?
                          Greg Forquer
                          1st (Statehouse) Ohio Light Artillery, Btty A
                          30th OVI, Co. B

Comment

Johnny:

Thanks for the heads up on the Bon Vivants Companion! Leave it to us out west to publish a bartenders giude early on. I just found it on GOOGLE BOOKS SO will give it a read. I editied my last post to remove the non period reference.

Edward Parrott
                            Last edited by Pvt Peck; 12-14-2007, 08:08 PM. Reason: Wandered off topic
                            Edward Anthony Parrott
                            "Humbug"

Comment

Johnny,

Beer of the period differs very little from many that you might have today. Many different styles, still fizzy if your around when they tap the keg (no crown caps). I know there has been a discussion on the forums already, run a search and see if it's still here.

As a historian and a brewer, those to interestes overlap for me and I've probably read enough to teach a semester long course on beer alone, feel free to drop me a line with any specific questions on the topic.

In the meantime, pick up this little gem, an oldy but a goody:

The Alcoholic Republic: An American Tradition By W.J.Rorabaugh
                              [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
                              [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
                              [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
                              [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
                              [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X