Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beer Buddies

Justin-

Yeah, I did a few searches on the topic on here and only came up with beer recipie discussions- which I wasn't focused on researching. Were the threads before the "great crash"?

I'll try looking into the book you mentioned. Never heard of it before you mentioned it.

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Runyon View Post
      Beer of the period differs very little from many that you might have today.
      To clarify, though, wouldn't it be correct to say that you could find today's lager "beers" in the period, but not all period "beers" could be easily found today? For example, persimmon beer, spruce beer, sassafras beer, molasses beer, etc.

Root "beer" is the only common example I can think of, that still uses the word "beer" today but isn't a lager. Well, there's ginger "ale" too. And root beer is not even truly brewed anymore by the big commercial makers (though not all non-lager "beers" in the period were brewed either--this could get complicated :( ).

On a separate note, another alcohol-centered book of the period is Jerry Thomas's Bartender's Guide of 1862, online here: http://www.theartofdrink.com/book/ It too focuses on mixing drinks because, well, pouring a glass of beer doesn't require much in the way of instructions. For homemade beers, general period recipe books generally tell how to make them. For lager beers, commercial books like Philadelphia and Its Manufactures (available at MOA and Google Books) go into more detail.

Hank Trent
      hanktrent@voyager.net
      Hank Trent

Comment

Hanks post has prompted me to bring up a couple of uick points.

First, it would be correct to say that most beers of today are period, but many period beers are not widely available now. Ginger, spruce, root, etc are difficult to find. I make my own when I want those styles. Their is at least one ginger beer on the market today, but I can't remember what it is. Froach [sic] makes a spruce beer that is out of this world (along with a heather, elderberry, and seaweed that are all good). Last year Sam Adams even did a limited edition 18th century rec. pack that included real Root Beer.

One more thing to bring up, lagers are not widely consumed here in the 1860's, and not as much as you would think even in Europe. That is the reason that their is a time period known as the Lager Revolution, which is roughly through the 1870's, when Lager becomes king (sad that, lagers are generally un-remarkable). For our period ale is still 9 beers out or 10 or more. Also recall that every beer at your local bar or store is either an ale or a lager, all the other names you see are sub-varieties.

Tired now, perhaps more to come.
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Good post, Justin. Another point is this. Ale yeasts are much hardier on the whole than lager yeasts. The conditions for fermenting and aging for ales are met across a wider spectrum of locations than are those of lagers. It is much easier to brew, ferment, and condition an ale than it is a lager. Add to that the fact that ales on the whole taste better and you have a winning combination.
          Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
          Mobile, AL

21st Alabama Infantry Reg. Co. D
          Mobile Battle Guards

Comment

True,

The fundimental difference between ale and lager is the type of yeast used. Ale yeasts ferment at temps between ca. 60-80 degrees. Lager yeasts are bottom fermenting yeasts that ferment well only at temps between 35 and 50. The German translation of lager is "to store" and realates here to the cold cellar storage (or winter production) of lagers. It is far easier to brew ale as it can be done with no cellar, at anytime of the year, prettty much anywhere that room temp. can be acieved for a couple of months. The lager revolution conincides with things like early cooled rail cars and the like.

Another interesting tidbit relating to yeast. Steam beer is the only beer style native to the US. Steam beer was first produced in California in the 1870's by brewers desiring to jump on the lager bandwagon, yet lacking the colder temps. to do it. The resulting beer would blow so much carbon dioxide out of the fermenter that people likened it to the steam valve on a boiler.
            [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
            [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
            [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
            [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
            [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Justin:

Ahhh Anchor Steam Beer, still one of my favorite domestic beers! There are a number of Ginger Beers commercially available:

Cock & Bull, Reeds Jamaica, Idris etc.. If you have an English import shop anywhere near you they should have Ginger beer as it is widely drunk in the UK still. I know this is not a recipe thread but you will find plenty of easy, overnight brew receipes for ginger beer online (sugar, lemon, ginger, water, & yeast).

Lager? Bahhhhhh a curse on Coors etc.. Ale & Stout hurrah.

Edward Parrott
              Edward Anthony Parrott
              "Humbug"

Comment

Rogue Brewing in Oregon makes a seasonal xmas spruce beer. Yards Brewery in Philadelphia also produces a spruce ale from an original recipe of Benjamin Franklins. So they say at least. In addition to their BF spruce ale they make two other old recipes from the revolutionary era.

Michael B Dunn

Comment

One thing to keep in mind...beer in the 1800's was considered by many to be the best alternative to liquor.

An interesting tidbit I learned last year: beer and wine were considered an acceptable drink in moderation among upstanding Christians, though there had always been a push to stop the consumption of alcohol by 'prohibitionists'. It wasn't until a man name Thomas Bramwell Welch convinced churches to begin using his pasteurized grapejuice substitute for communion in the 1860's that the change actually began to take place. He called the drink "Dr. Welch's Unfermented Wine". We know it better as Welch's Grapejuice.

I for one disagree and, as both a Christian and the grandson of Scot/Irish/Welsh/English immigrants, heartily enjoy my share of Guinness!

Rick
                  Last edited by Professor Barclay; 01-27-2008, 12:47 AM.
                  Your most humble servant,

Richard Green...

aka,
                  "Professor Barclay: The Wizard of Edinburgh!"
                  [url]www.wizardofedinburgh.com[/url]

Comment

Comrades,

One point that i woyld add comes from the history of the 2ns US Infantry. I can't give you the PP# as I no longer have the volume, but basically, when the 2nd US was called east from Leavenworth at the start of the war, they marched a lot of the distance. Each day, a small party would head out before the column, and secure both a bivouac site, and several kegs of beer for the men.

The other point to keep in mind is that our period was before the days of artificial refridgeration. It was the Budweiser brewery that helped to develop ice-cooled reefers for rail transportation which allowed the mass production and transport of beer over long distances. Until then (post-war) virtually ALL beer was locally produced because it was simply impossible to transport it long distances and without spoilage. Thus, you got the types of beer that were produced where you were. Many of those same breweries also ran their own pubs and taverns, much like today's brew-pubs, so your choice within the bar would normally be limited to the brewery they were aligned with.
                    Tim Kindred
                    Medical Mess
                    Solar Star Lodge #14
                    Bath, Maine

Comment

This doesn't have anything to do with the beer discussion, but find it amazing, it's a quote from right below that picture.

"Regiment lost during service 2 Officers and 32 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 5 Officers and 204 Enlisted men by disease. Total, 243."
                      Marvin Boyce

Comment

Working...
                      X