No announcement yet.

"Real" Confederates or reenactors?....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Real" Confederates or reenactors?....

We are getting a rare snow (although quite wet) and freezing temps here in south Mississippi today. A good day to be inside so I offer up a couple of photos.

From the book FOR DIXIE’S LAND I’LL TAKE MY STAND, SOMEBODY’S DARLING: IMAGES OF MISSISSIPPI CONFEDERATES, By H. Grady Howell, Jr. An excellent book of wonderful photographs. I suggest it highly.

Photo # 1: Just to show you that not all Confederates were “starving” I post Chesley Shelton Coffey, a veteran of the Mexican War elected Captain of Co. D Thomas Hinds Guards, 19th Miss. infantry. Probably an early war photo, Coffey’s robust physic and florid complexion suggest he wasn’t long for the field if he got there at all.

Photo # 2: Could almost be a modern reenactor but he is Pvt Charles Currin Frierson, Co F. Water Valley Rifle Guards 15th Regt. Miss. Infantry

This book is an excellent source for uniforms (many no doubt largely early to mid war) and civilian clothing. One thing I note was that the vast majority of the photos showing slouch hats had at least one side pinned up. Many were tri-cornered. A look not often seen in reenacting today.

Ken R Knopp
    Attached Files

Re: "Real" Confederates or reenactors?....

One side pinned up and tri-corn "Purves" hats were all the rage in the Magnolia State. Its amazing how many photos from all sources show these hats, esp early war.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Dear Sir ,
      Thanks for the dandy and previously unseen ( by me ) , photographs . The pinned up hats are mentioned in Snedden's book about his experiences in the Peninsula Campaign in which he wrote that most of the rebel officers had hats with one side pinned up and a feather in them. Reality and reenacting often are at odds.
      all for the old flag,
      David Corbett
      Dave Corbett

Comment

At one event where I was portraying a wounded Confederate soldier, I asked for criticism afterwards, and someone pointed out that the brim of my hat should have acquired an upward curl on the right hand side, due to it interfering with the musket barrel. Since I'd not actually worn that hat while drilling, the brim was equally flat on both sides.

Dunno if that's true, but he noticed it, and it sounds reasonable, so the next time I wore that hat as a Confederate who had carried a musket but was now clerking, I pinned that side up, since it had no natural curl.

I'm sure the temporary or permanent pinning up of broad-brimmed hats was affected by fashion--you have your one side, your two sides (Napoleon/Admiral style), your three sides (tricorn), each looking kewl in its own era in its own way.

But is interference with the gun barrel the traditional basis for pinning up one side of a broad-brimmed hat? Was it therefore always the wearer's right side that was pinned up?

Hank Trent
        hanktrent@voyager.net
        Hank Trent

Comment

Is Pvt Freirson holding a cigar in his hand? There is something between his index and middle finger.

And there seems like there is something furry on his knapsack over his left shoulder, or is that just a result of the type of image it is.
          Greg Bullock
          [URL="http://www.pridgeonslegion.com/group/9thvacoe"]Bell's Rifles Mess[/URL]
          Member, [URL="http://www.civilwar.org/"]Civil War Preservation Trust[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.shenandoahatwar.org/index.php"]Shenandoah Valley Battlefield Foundation[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Trent View Post
            But is interference with the gun barrel the traditional basis for pinning up one side of a broad-brimmed hat? Was it therefore always the wearer's right side that was pinned up?

Hank Trent
            hanktrent@voyager.net
            Personal Preference is the number one reason for pinning or not pinning the brim up. Cavalry Sabers are carried in the right hand, so you would expect a trooper to pin up the right side of their hat. Scott's Tactics Carry Arms (Shoulder Arms) is on the left side, so you would expect Regulars and the Iron Brigade regiments to pin their left side hats up. Casey's Shoulder Arms is on the right side......

But we see pictures of say, Company I 7th Wisconsin at Falmouth, and their hats are pinned or not pinned on either/both sides.

I switch mine from right to left depending upon whether I'm doing mounted cavalry or mounted infantry bugler.

Your mileage will vary.
            RJ Samp
            (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
            Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Captain Chesley S. Coffey

Gents,

Photo # 1: Just to show you that not all Confederates were “starving” I post Chesley Shelton Coffey, a veteran of the Mexican War elected Captain of Co. D Thomas Hinds Guards, 19th Miss. infantry. Probably an early war photo, Coffey’s robust physic and florid complexion suggest he wasn’t long for the field if he got there at all.

Captain Coffey was severely wounded in the 1862 battle of Williamsburg. At the time, the 19th Mississippi was brigaded under Cadmus Wilcox. For more on the 19th Mississippi, see William Furr’s website: http://www.rootsweb.com/~ms19inf/

In one of those “just so happens” coincidences, my great-grandfather was a private in Co. D of the 19th Miss. One of Captain Coffey’s descendants, the late John D. Coffey, MD, served as one of my Scoutmasters in Troop 168 of Natchez, MS.

Regards,

geoffrey lehmann
              geoffrey lehmann

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
                One side pinned up and tri-corn "Purves" hats were all the rage in the Magnolia State. Its amazing how many photos from all sources show these hats, esp early war.
                The Volunteer Military Board of the State of Mississippi specifically directed, in March 1861, that black hats "looped up on three sides" be worn by Magnolia State troops. When on parade, the hats were to be trimmed with cords, tassels, and plumes appropriate to the member's rank and/or service branch.

Needless to say, this regulation was soon "honored more in the breach than the observance."

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
                Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Working...
                X