NC Soldier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NC Soldier

Here is a beautiful image from my collection. The soldier is wearing a NC sack coat, so this places the image around 1861-1862 (NC sack coats were made until early 1862, I believe). Any thoughts?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tsgalloway; 01-23-2008, 06:38 PM.
    Tristan Galloway

Re: NC Soldier

Tristan,

Thanks for sharing this great image with us. Is this soldier wearing two shirts? Looks like he has a darker color shirt on closed with a white button; then another under that, possibly white?? Any clue to where the image or soldier was from?

-Kyle M. Stetz
    Respectfully,
    -Kyle M. Stetz
    Liberty Rifles

"I think the prospect for an active and laborious campaign in Virginia is pretty clear and we will again this spring renew our old occupation and struggle between life and death for six more weary months." Capt. Samuel S. Brooke 47th Va. Infantry-- March 27, 1864

Comment

Great Image!! Is there any identification to the man in it?
      Andrew Turner
      Co.D 27th NCT
      Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

Originally posted by NYCivilWar View Post
        Tristan,

Thanks for sharing this great image with us. Is this soldier wearing two shirts? Looks like he has a darker color shirt on closed with a white button; then another under that, possibly white?? Any clue to where the image or soldier was from?

-Kyle M. Stetz
        Either that, or possibly the shirt is lined with a white material. Here's an upclose look at the collar.
        Attached Files
        Tristan Galloway

Comment

I have no clue as to where the image came from. I know it originally came from a decent sized collection of images collected by an older gentleman on the left coast. There's not much in the image to identify the individual other than the cool NC sack coat.
          Tristan Galloway

Comment

Gents,

I cannot get a pdf file to attach.
            I have a most unique image of a relative in the 35th NC wearing an NC sack WITH LAPELS.
            The only one I have seen.

I will try to get someone more computer savvy to help me get the image posted.
            By the way, the image shows him as a private. He was promoted to Corporal in August, 1864.

In the meantime,
            Any thoughts on the lapels?

Regards,
            Kevin Ellis,
            Last edited by Longbranch 1; 01-24-2008, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Tristan - fabulous photo!! Is that perhaps a haversack under his right arm?
              Soli Deo Gloria
              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Kevin,
                What do you mean by "lapels"? Do you mean epaulettes that are not sewn down? There was a type 2 NC sack coat. It had epaulettes that were not sewn down unlike the type 1 that we see most. I've seen one of these reproduced by S&S sutler but none on original soldiers.

I would love to see your image.
                Andrew Turner
                Co.D 27th NCT
                Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
                  Tristan - fabulous photo!! Is that perhaps a haversack under his right arm?
                  I think it is the back of the chair he is sitting in. I wonder if the book he is holding carries any significance? It could just be a nice looking prop.
                  Tristan Galloway

Comment

Looks like his sack coat has cuff buttons...I don't remeber that being on the original I've seen...anyone else?
                    Wade Rogers

Comment

Andrew,

These are honest to gosh, "V" notched, " modern" lapels on the front of the coat.

If you or anyone else would like to upload this image , PM me your snail mail address and I will send you a hard copy to put on the forum.

Thanks,
                      Kevin Ellis,
                      26th NC

Comment

Shoot me an e-mail at tgallowa[at]usc.edu and I'll put it up.
                        Tristan Galloway

Comment

Hey.

That is a 1861 North Carolina regulation sack coat. It is just a fold down collar. Your image looks like he has on a couple of shirts on underneath. I suspect it was made in 1861 or early 1862.

Thanks for posting the image.

Ernest Dollar

Ernest Dollar

Comment

I agree with that assessment.
                            Tristan Galloway

Comment

Working...
                            X