• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tennesse Battery

From the Library of Congress American Memory pages
    Federal camp at Johnsonville, Tenn.
    ca.1864, published later

Troops of the 1st Tennessee Colored Battery near depot platform before evacuation from Johnsonville.

Mud is muddy
    Peter Koch
    North State Rifles

Re: Tennesse Battery

This is one of THE greatest photographs from the war, period.

I did a detailed study of this a couple of years ago. Look at the tiff of this...the detail will blow your mind: all those grimsley's, traces, driver's whips, leg guards, nosebags, collars, spurs, the piecing on mounted overcoat capes, ...the corral with horses out back...I mean SO MUCH stuff!! And those beautiful bronze Napoleon's...

I've attached two pdf's put together with some detail I made a while ago. Don't have the notes handy anymore, though...
    Attached Files

Comment

Great stuff on the second document. I couldn't get the first one to download, kept asking for me to log in.
      Loved the detail on the fence and the solid gate. Hadn't been looking in that direction yet.
      Peter Koch
      North State Rifles

Comment

Peter,

I'll bet you that that stack of boxes under tarpaulins in the left are crackers and salt pork. There is a similar, although many times larger, image of such supplies at Winchester. What;s interesting is that it was taken on land own by Tom Hunger of the Winchester Sutler. He still owns the land and the period buildins thereon, in one of which he resides.

Note also the men are wearing greatcoats sans ponchos, gum cloths, etc. Standing out and taking it.

Respects,
        Tim Kindred
        Medical Mess
        Solar Star Lodge #14
        Bath, Maine

Comment

Working...
        X