Young South Carolina Soldier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young South Carolina Soldier

Check out this young man off to war. This is 18 year old Hillard J. Todd, Company K 26th SC. He is from Horry County, SC near the present town of Loris. The company mustered at Blanton's Crossroads in January of 62. I have been trying to figure out his jacket and I cannot tell if the collar is a different color or possibly just piped. Anyone with a good eye for this stuff have some input???

Thanks, Brian
    Last edited by btfire; 06-04-2008, 11:32 PM.
    [I][B]Brian T. McGarrahan[/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.trampbrigade.com"]Tramp Brigade Mess[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.scarreenactors.com"]Southeast Coalition of Authentic Reenactors[/URL]
    [I][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]GAME 07[/B][/COLOR][/I]

[CENTER]"[B][SIZE="2"]I am just here to get my name in the program. Wildcats![/SIZE][/B]."[/CENTER]

Re: Young South Carolina Soldier

Hi,

He could be wearing a commutation jacket. I think the jacket is piped, but I am not sure. Do you what year the photo was taken in. The lack of shoulder straps means it is not a Richmond Depot 1or 2, and because it is piped it is not a Richmond Depot type 3. It also might be a frock coat that has been piped.

Andrew Kasmar

4th Missouri Company E
    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Do we know his fate?
      Ryan Burns
      The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
      3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Comment

This photo would probably have been taken in 1862 or early 1863. The 26th SC served along the SC coast near Charleston until May of 1863 when they were sent to Jackson, MS and attached to Evans Brigade. They remained in this brigade until the end of the war serving in the Crater and the Appomattox Campaign. I do not know exactly this soldiers service, but he died in 1915 and left a widow, Nancy Lee of Horry County.
        [I][B]Brian T. McGarrahan[/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.trampbrigade.com"]Tramp Brigade Mess[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.scarreenactors.com"]Southeast Coalition of Authentic Reenactors[/URL]
        [I][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]GAME 07[/B][/COLOR][/I]

[CENTER]"[B][SIZE="2"]I am just here to get my name in the program. Wildcats![/SIZE][/B]."[/CENTER]

Comment

I think the collar is piped, but not a different color. If you zoom in on the left side of the collar (our left) towards the back half you can see that it appears to be the same color as the rest of the jacket. But thats just my opinion.

Garrett Glover
          1st Texas Light Artillery
          Battery K
          Garrett Glover

Comment

Brian-

I find it fascinating that you posted that particular picture. Hilliard Todd just happens to be my 3-Greats Uncle. He also had brothers (including my 3 Great Grandfather Lemuel Todd) who served in the 10th SC Vol. Inf'y as well as one who, I believe, served in the 15th SC. Hilliard still has kin in SC. His Gr Gr Grandson Dennis is, or at least was, active in the Columbia Camp SC Sons of Confederate Veterans. Dennis lives in Cayce, SC and has researched Hilliard quite a bit.

Anyway- thanks for posting that pic.

Nathan Albert
            Nathan Albert
            Member CWPT, SMH
            Covenant Lodge #473 F&AM
            Shocker Mess!

Comment

Originally posted by GarrettG1993 View Post
              I think the collar is piped, but not a different color. If you zoom in on the left side of the collar (our left) towards the back half you can see that it appears to be the same color as the rest of the jacket. But thats just my opinion.
              I think it is piped as well. Also, it is hard to tell from the photo if it is a jacket or a frock because the wearer's waist is not visible.

Very nice photo. Thanks for sharing!
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
              X