Black soldiers in full campaign gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black soldiers in full campaign gear

Well one of the things that sticks out in my mind about the picture is there are two & maybe three white men in the picture. These men might be the officers of the company or just fellows standing around when the image was taken. As for the pockets that is nothing new as any soldier with a minimum of tailoring skills could add pockets to an issue overcoat rather easy. As for the knapsacks it could be that since it was probably winter when the image was struck they are just carrying a large issue of such items as extra shirts, socks, drawers etc. and they are just moving from one camp to another. This image may be a part of a large lot of images struck in later 1864/early 1865 around the Bermuda Hundred area. There were a lot of USCT troops in that area and the images that were taken there are really enlightening as to general camp life and the duties incurred on a daily basis when in a somewhat quiet sector of the lines.
    [COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]En Obtien!...James T. Miller[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

overcoat pockets

To dig up an old post:

10-16-2006, 12:45 PM
      ScottCross

Re: Modified Overcoat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul McKee owns an original Civil War Federal dismounted overcoat that was modified. He wrote an article that included it in the "Company Wag" many years ago. I modified my overcoat based on this one. The coat had been altered by removing the cape and sewing a small Federal button at the back of the neck, presumably to reattach the cape when wanted. This may prove to be difficult, since Jarnagin sews the cape right into the collars. The vast majority of originals that I have examined have their capes simply stitched to the base of the neck from the outside. The second modification was two pockets added to the front, just below where the equipment belt would be. It was a simple horizontal cut through the fabric with the pocket inside the coat. The pocket itself was made from the same material as the coat. Perhaps Mr. McKee will chime in on this discussion.
      Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

I own an old Jarnagin mounted overcoat that was defarbed as much as possible by it's former owner, who did a Cavalry impression. I now use as a Confederate "capture." I added a couple of slit pockets below the equipment belt line, and also added a couple of pocket covers from some matching material. It's now my favorite coat!
        Frank Perkin

Comment

I believe that may be a dove "cote" and they are as complicated a build on the inside as it looks on the outside.
          Pvt. S.D. Henry
          Co. A 3rd Maine Volunteer Infantry
          "Bath City Greys"

Comment

Yea that is a blue martin house in the photo, pretty big one at it never seen one that big.
            [FONT="Courier New"]LCpl .Edmund Lockhart
            United States Marine Corps [/FONT]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]5th Michigan Co.k
            "Saginaw Light Infantry"[/FONT]

Comment

question, why is the siding at the top spaced like that and not at the bottom? sorry don't know anything about a blue martin house.
              Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X