Gaines Mill field hospital closeups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaines Mill field hospital closeups

This photograph was taken on July 27th, 1862 after the battle of Gaines Mill. There is a great deal of sadness in this photo. Tragic.

Ryan Burns
    The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
    3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Re: Gaines Mill field hospital closeups

In this photo may be members of the 16th New York (straw hats) and the 1st Minnesota (based on diary entries from Isaac Taylor). These men were left behind as McClellan continued his retreat (er...change of base) and were cared for/imprisoned by the Confederates. Most poignant is the Sgt leaning over his comrade (first closeup). Several members of the 1st Minnesota stayed behind willing to be captured to assist in caring for the casualties.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

This photo was taken at Savage's Station. As Doug mentioned, some of the wounded were members of the 16th NY. A brief discussion of this photo and their distinctive straw hats can be found in the following thread:

Straw hats now available from Carter & Jasper

Eric
      Last edited by Dignann; 03-26-2008, 07:26 AM.
      Eric J. Mink
      Co. A, 4th Va Inf
      Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

In the second close up, I wonder if that bit hanging around his neck is supposed to be a sling? I imagine so as he obviously has an upper arm wound. The last frame of them getting to work on that man's thigh really tells a story.

Respectfully....
        Sean Collicott
        Your humble servant....
        Sean Collicott
        [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
        [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by lambrew View Post
          In the second close up, I wonder if that bit hanging around his neck is supposed to be a sling? I imagine so as he obviously has an upper arm wound. The last frame of them getting to work on that man's thigh really tells a story.

Respectfully....
          Sean Collicott

It is indeed a sling. You'll note the seepage from his wound, whuch runs down his arm. The sleeve has been cut away as well. Note, too, the wound to the chest. His shirt appears to also be cut away there. He's probably sitting up in order to keep draining the chest wound. From it's location, and the size of the bandage, it was most likely either a piece of buckshot or a small fragment of shell that lacerated the area, otherwise he'd be awaiting burial.

At first, I thought he was holding a white blanket in his lap, but I now believe him to be holding a rubber ground cloth with the white side out. Notice the angularity to the fold, and the rounded edge, more indicative of a stiffer material than a wool blanket.
          Last edited by 1stMaine; 03-26-2008, 05:05 PM. Reason: spelling errors... sigh
          Tim Kindred
          Medical Mess
          Solar Star Lodge #14
          Bath, Maine

Comment

Comrades,

I thought that the following might be of interest to you, being an eyewitness account of this very scene from a volunteer burse. Her name was Sarah Sampson, and she was the wife of the LtCol Charles A.L. Sampson of the 3rd Maine. The following is a part of her report to the Governor of Maine after the war, talking about her service. I can post it in it's entirety somewhere if folks would like it, including her bio. She is one of 5 CW nurses buried at Arlington together.
            ----------------------------------------------

From this time to the embarkation of the army in March of 1862, never a day passed that I was not with the sick in the hospital; and although we had several deaths during that time, I am confident that each patient received all the care and attention possible under the circumstances, and their friends were notified of the particulars of their sickness and death. I also attended all the funerals, that I might be able to give the friends items of interest connected with this last ceremony.
            At the embarkation of the army, the sick were taken to the general hospitals in Alexandria, which I visited, distributing supplies that had been sent me during the Winter to Maine soldiers where-ever I found them. I took great pains then, as ever afterwards, in passing through the wards, never to overlook a sicker soldier than our own in these distributions.
            In this way I passed my time until the battle of Williamsburg, when Senator Morrill obtained for me a "pass, and transportation for my supplies to the army for three months." This "pass" I had renewed every three months during the war. On the morning of the 8th of May, I left Alexandria alone for Fortress Monroe, via Baltimore, taking with me four large cases of hospital supplies.
            On arriving at the fort, we found steamers loaded with wounded at the wharves, and Hygeia Hospital already nearly full. Here I received conveyance to Chesapeake and Hampton Hospitals, where I found many of our 7th Regiment, who had made for themselves a brilliant record at Williamsburg.
            Late in the afternoon of the first day of my arrival, seeing no possible chance for even shelter for myself during the night, excepting at the bed-side of some dying soldier, (where, many a time afterwards, for the sake of shelter, I have half watched, half slept,) I procured a pass to enter the fort, and applied to the Military Commandant for assistance in finding a home for a few days, stating my object, &c. Had I come under the auspices of Miss Dix, as one of her nurses, a home would have been provided for me by the Medical Department in one of the hospitals; but my field of labor must not be confined to one hospital for the sake of comfortable quarters. My sick soldiers were scattered everywhere, and everywhere I would seek for them. The major directed me to the wife of the ordnance officer and afterward A.Q.M., to both of whom I owe a life-long obligation. All our spare time was passed with the wounded; every moment was precious to somebody, and when too late to work in the hospitals, we wrote letters for the soldiers, from items taken during the day, and later did our cooking for the following day. Those who were the most feeble, or wounded in the face, were our especial care. For such, we prepared the most delicate food and nourishing drinks, and my supplies form our own State were so abundant, that we scarcely had occasion to call upon the general commissions for anything.
            On the second of June, just after the battle of Fair Oaks, I left Fortress Monroe for White House Landing. Here the wounded were being brought, in large numbers, in the cars, to be placed on Hospital transports. Among the first I saw was General Howard and his brother; the former with his right arm amputated, and the latter with a severe flesh wound of the thigh. At their request, I returned with them to Fortress Monroe, and went for a surgeon to dress their wounds previous to their leaving for Baltimore on their way to Maine. On the following day, I returned to White House and made myself generally useful among the wounded on shore and on transports. Such suffering and confusion I never before witnessed. Many serious wounds had not been dressed for several days, and indeed, the loss of many limbs was the consequence of inattention to lighter wounds; but this was not from fault of surgeons, but from circumstances beyond their control. Many of the 3d. Regt. were there, some slightly wounded, and some were buried there. I remember one George Gordon of Co. I, who had been shot through both limbs, below the knee. The surgeon of the regiment had carefully dressed the wounds, and with care they might have been saved; but he had suffered with the others, and after he had been taken on board the transport Louisiana, it was found that amputation was necessary to save life, if indeed it could be saved. I asked him if he "was willing to lose both his limbs"; he said, "yes, rather than my life; and rather my life than not to have been there." I saw him again after his limbs were taken off, both above the knee. He was still full of courage, and told us how the battle was won. But he soon died, not however until I had written by his side his farewell words to his mother.
            For several days, I worked thus at White House, and by a note from the Superintendent of Transports procured my food from the stewards, and rested wherever I might be when overcome with sleep. Here on the steamer Elm City, General Jameson, being ill with the fever that terminated his life, was my patient for several days, and I only left him to go to those who were not so well cared for.
            On the morning of the 25th, the first of the seven days' battle before Richmond, hearing that Hooker's Division was engaged, we packed our wagons, and with consent of the medical director, hurried to the field, where already the wounded were being brought back. All day long we worked among and for them, preparing drinks, dressing wounds, and taking items from those who had received their death wounds. On the following day, our supplies being somewhat reduced, and learning that others had reached White House Landing for us, late in the afternoon, I went down with a friend, intending to return early in the morning. Surgeon McRuer, of Maine, was in charge of the transport Louisiana, and therefore we applied to him for quarters that night, but learned that orders had been already given for the evacuation of White House and that the wounded were being rapidly moved from that point. The Louisiana was filled that night, and no cars again passed over the road; consequently we were cut off from our supplies and separated from our friends. My trunk containing my entire wardrobe, journal from the commencement of the war, and papers containing effects and items of priceless value to friends of deceased soldiers, were all at Mr. Dudley's house, which was demolished by the enemy that every day.
            The Louisiana was ordered to Washington, but the Captain, at our solicitation, set us ashore at Yorktown, where we passed one day in hospitals and then took the mail steamer for Fortress Monroe. Here again were steamers coming in with wounded, and here we passed a few days usefully, -- often being recognized by those whom we had cared for at the front.
            Finding some one who kindly loaned me clothing, on the 1st of July I left the transport State of Maine for Harrison's Landing, on the James river. We reached there at night, and early the next morning the wounded were brought to us in small boats, as we were anchored in the stream, no wharves yet having been built. The groaning of the poor fellows, as they were lifted from one boat to another, was heart-rending.
            On the 13th, I took the cars (an open freight-car loaded with barrels of beef, upon which we sat,) for Savage's station. This car on its return, was fired into by the rebels, and the bridge at Tunstall's station, over which we crossed, burned. Here at Savage's station was General Heintzelman's headquarters, and the first night we passed in his telegraph office. Subsequently, we drew our rations, and found a home with a family formerly from Massachusetts.
            Generals Heintzelman and Kearney were exceedingly kind to us, and showed their interest in our work by giving us the use of their private carriages to convey us and our supplies to the various hospitals. Quartermaster General Van Vliet also offered us transportation to any point; but advised that we make this our headquarters, as farther in advance we might not be safe; and farther in the rear, might not be available in case of battle.
            Near here, on the Dudley farm, where we found our home, was an old mill, that we used for our store-house, and where each day we packed as much as possible into the wagons and went to some hospital; they were all two or more miles distant. We invariably found the soldiers grateful for what we brought them, but more so that we had come ourselves. Some told us they had not seen a white woman before for three months. The medical officers were also gratified that we had come, and Gen. Kearney's Division Surgeon, who was with us all one day, said our "presence did the sick more good than medicine."
            Every day was full of interest. We were constantly being sent for to come to this hospital and that, and on our way not unfrequently came across some sick, who by accident, were not in regularly organized hospitals. One day we found Captain Harvey of the 3d Maine, very ill and delirious with fever, in an old building without windows or doors, and with only a canteen from which to take his drink. He died the following day.
            Surely, the hardest part of a soldier's life, is that from the battle field to the hospital. I went several times on the transports to Fortress Monroe, and occupied my time on the return passage in writing letters for soldiers, from whom I had taken the addresses of their friends on the way down. In the large hospitals at Harrison's Landing, I found many Maine soldiers, and was able to relieve much suffering by the supplies of clothing, &c., that had been sent me by our friends at home. I had always a good supply at Fortress Monroe, and every facility to forward them was given me by quartermasters and surgeons in charge of transports.
            But while I was thus engaged, finding great inconvenience in having no clothing of my own, after carefully storing my supplies, until I should be directed by those who sent them what disposition to make of them, I reluctantly left for home; coming to New York in a transport with four hundred patients, many of whom were from Maine, and some seriously wounded. One from Monroe, Me., died of fever, and two others became insensible before we reached New York. I wrote their names, and the addresses of their friends, with a request that "in case of death, some one should write to them," and pinned them into the shirt-pocket of each. From the father of one of these soldiers I heard, after he had learned the death of his son through this note.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Respects,
            Tim Kindred
            Medical Mess
            Solar Star Lodge #14
            Bath, Maine

Comment

There's no way of knowing and this is extremely presumptuous, but I'm imagining that a lot of these guys were wounded by shrapnel. Seems that if they were shot they'd probably have some more visible trauma or be dead.
              Ryan Burns
              The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
              3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Comment

Ryan,

That's the way it always is. Artillery is the great wounder. The musket is the great killer.
                Tim Kindred
                Medical Mess
                Solar Star Lodge #14
                Bath, Maine

Comment

Mr. Kindred, now that you point it out, it looks a lot like some rush work I have done in the street. Interesting how the basics have changed very little in the last 100 odd years.

Respectfuly....
                  Sean Collicott
                  Your humble servant....
                  Sean Collicott
                  [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
                  [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Comment

Sean,

It was Jonathon Letterman who started the practice of triage. He revamped the entire medical corps and created the system that we basically still have tofay.

By 1864, the surgeons and assistant surgeons, hospital stewards, etc, had been basically removed from the regimental/battalion level, although they srill were mustered there for administrative reasons, and still held sick call, etc. However, when action seemed imminent, or expected, they were concentrated at the Division level, and many had permanent assignmts at the Division hospital. Some were sent forward to establish Field Dressing Stations, where the injured were brought or arrived at. The principal duty there was to stabilise the patient, provide any emergency treatment if required, and then to forward him quickly vis the ambulance corps to the division hospital.

At the DH, the patient underwent any immidieate surgery, including amputations, etc. More serious, such as resectionings would be done later at the general hospitals. However, triage was started at the DH and the patient classified as to status. After treatment, wher=ther surgical, palliative or such, he was entered into the system, personal effcts signed for, etc. Attached to the DH was a group heded by a Hospital Steward who also prepared food for the patients and staff. Another group of officers and enlisted took care of the mountains of paperwork, while another HS or two prepared and dispensed medicines as needed.

The serious cases were then shipped off to the general hospitals for further care and recouperation, and the less serious tended to locally, then forwarded back to their commands.

What really helped all of this was the establisjment of the Ambulance Corps, with a dedicated and trained staff who practiced drills for recovering the wounded and transporting them to the treatment facilities. This allowed for a seperate and well-drilled force that didn't require ad hoc detachmnets from the line units. Each division had a 40 ambulance train assigned to it, so they worked with their own division hospital regularly.

But, yeah, what you do today is a direct decendant of what Letterman thought out and implemented. If it works, don't break it :)
                    Tim Kindred
                    Medical Mess
                    Solar Star Lodge #14
                    Bath, Maine

Comment

Looking at the fourth picture down really got to me because of the guy laying on his stomach with his eyes open. It almost looks like he is dead and just looking at the guys eyes can do something to even the strongest person.

Chadd M. Vail
                      Death is always a good thing. Its just life after death that you got to worry about.

Comment

Working...
                      X