Earliest production of M1861 Springfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earliest production of M1861 Springfield

Question: Do any of you out there have documented information on the date that the M1861 actually began production at Springfield Armory, and when were the first finished '61s shipped?

For several years a discussion has been followed here in Missouri with regard to primary source descriptions of or implications that shiny new M1861 Springfields were in the hands of Federal troops in early August 1861 at the battles of Athens and Wilson's Creek. Primary sources are both rare and vague in terms of describing the arms present at these engagements. I know that several works on Springfields are out there, but unfortunately I do not have access to any of them. In an effort to answer the above questions I have corresponded with the park historian at Springfield and have been told the following:

"Springfield Armory ended US M1855 production with 9,002 in early 1861. 33,572 US M1861 rifle muskets are recorded for that year. I believe the date for the end of US M1855 production is the end of April or early May 1861. In a letter dated April 19, 1861, Springfield Armory Superintendent Wright requested from the Chief of Ordnance, Col. Craig, permission to modify the US M1855 by eliminating the Maynard primer and the patchbox. Permission was granted four days later. The modified weapon is known to us as the US M1861 rifle musket...I suspect that you could argue for the M1861 being present [in Missouri in August 1861], but it would be a long shot unless the troops are from the northeast US and had just arrived. I mention this because we have records of newly-raised Massachusetts volunteer infantry (10th Mass Vol Inf, etc.) being armed directly from Springfield Armory arsenals here in June & July 1861, a few months after production of the US M1861 rifle muskets began."

In The Lyon Campaign, Eugene Ware famously describes picking up a musket hastily forgotten by a U.S. Regular prior to the Battle of Wilson's Creek with a lockplate bearing the year "1861." For many this is proof that Cos. B, C or D of the 1st U.S. Inf. or Cos. B or E of the 2nd U.S. Inf. were armed with M1861s prior to August 10, 1861 in Southwest Missouri. Given the above information from Springfield, another obvious possibility is that one of the Regulars was carrying a M1855 with a lockplate produced and stamped in early 1861. Or it could simply be the faulty memory of a man writing 40 years after the events he is describing.

Similarly at Athens, we know that approximately 400 or so of the 1,000 stand of military arms entrusted to Col. Cyrus Bussey for distribution to Iowa volunteers from the St. Louis Arsenal were diverted to Col. Moore's home guard soldiers in the days before the battle, with bayonets. Again, were these modernized 1816s or 1842s, were they M1855s of new M1861s, or, as tantalizingly suggested in the new Skim Milk Yankees Fighting, could these have been M1841s, either in the original .54 or rebored to .58?

But I digress. Cutting through the clutter, this is really an effort to determine whether we can rule out the presence of M1861s in Missouri by early August 1861 based on production or shipping dates from Springfield. Any input would be appreciated.
    [FONT="Times New Roman"][/FONT] Aaron Racine
    [COLOR="Blue"][I]Holmes' Brigade, USV[/I][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Silver"][COLOR="Gray"][I]Macon County Silver Greys[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]"This gobbling of things so, disgusts me much. I think the city should be burned, but would like to see it done decently." - Maj. Charles W. Wills, February 17, 1865, before Columbia, S.C.[/COLOR]

Re: Earliest production of M1861 Springfield

Aaron,
    I enjoyed reading your thread. I am not an expert on the M1855 nor the M1861, but I offer this for your consideration. The production cycle of the Springfield M1855 ended in early 1861 and production of the Springfield M1861 began by mid-1861. The last variant of the M1855 produced at Harpers Ferry in 1861 utilized a lockplate stamped 1861. The Battle of Wilson's Creek was fought in August 1861. That would be about same time that the M1861 was being deployed to the Federal army. The number of M1861's produced in 1861, as mentioned in your thread, was about 33,000. Full production and deployment of the M1861 did not begin until 1862, when Union arms production stepped into high gear. Would have Federal troops in Missouri been given priority to receive these new weapons in mid-1861? IMHO, there is a good chance that the weapons that were decribed as new 1861 Springfields at Wilson's Creek were possibly the last variant of the M1855 with a lockplate stamped 1861.....just my two cents worth.
    Last edited by DannyJoe; 05-01-2008, 01:20 PM.
    Dan McGraw
    GG-Gson of Patrick Maher, Co E, 1st Minn Cavalry
    GG-Gson of Charles Orth, Co G, 2nd Minn Infantry

Comment

Aaron: There is information in an earlier portion of Eugene Ware's delightful narrative of the Lyon Campaign (see p. 153) that may shed some light. He basically says that Lyon armed the regulars with arms captured at Camp Jackson which included "1200 best US rifles." He further states that "This stuff came up from the South to start the rebellion within St. Louis, most of it from the Baton Rouge Arsenal." He describes these weapons as " a magnificent arm, and were called the Springfield rifled musket. Some were stamped 'U.S. 1861.'" If this is true, then the information provided by Danny Joe is most plausible, based upon the early seizure date of the Baton Rouge arsenal.
      Bob Williams
      26th North Carolina Troops
      Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

One of the company commanders in Plummer's battalion of Regulars, describing the fight in Ray's Cornfield, wrote that his men were "firing buck and ball with high grade powder behind it." Certainly not a common ammunition choice for a .58 caliber rifle! To further muddy the waters, the force of Regulars at Wilson's Creek is a collection of previously autonomous companies of the 1st and 2nd U.S. hastily brought together in the previously months from posts across the country, along with a newly organized company of rifle recruits. I would not be surprised if different models and calibers of arms were present within their ranks.

Ware seems to describe "his" Regular as having a rifled weapon of a different caliber than his .69 percussion conversion (he says he traded his watch for the correct ammunition), with a lockplate date of 1861. With no extant ordnance returns for that early date we may never know for sure. And as Aaron mentioned, Eugene Ware wrote his account some 46 years after the event- how clear was this recollection?

I think what Aaron is looking for is actual documentation of the M1861 being issued in 1861, to whom, and in what numbers. With so many historical researchers and weaponry experts posting on the AC hopefully someone has something to offer. I don't, but I hope someone does!

V/R,
        Kip
        Kip Lindberg

Comment

Hallo!

A worthy and worthwhile question, that I beleive we have no surviving documentation for.

The Maynard tape primer system had proven not to be "popular," and an Ordnance Department report dated May 1860 recommended eliminating the Maynard system and modifying the "patchbox." But, this was not approved until February 20, 1861. This would have created the Special Model 1861 had not the outbreak of the War lead to the decision to just make changes to the M1855 production weapon.

The day after Virginia captured Harpers Ferry arsenal, Springfield Superintendent Wright wrote on April 19, 1861 commenting on production being increased to 2000 rifle muskets per month, and that by eliminating the Maynard primer 2000 could be made into 2500.

Springfield superindendent Wright was replaced by George Dwight on April 20, 1861

On April 23, 1861 former Springfield Arsenal superintendent James Ripley assumed command of the Ordnance Department replacing Colonel Craig. He also started a second shift at Springfield and increased the workforce to 2800, purchased new milling machines, and setting up some new and more powerful steam engines.

On April 26, 1861, Colonel Ripley wrote to Dwight ordering him to "omit" the patch box (sic), omit the browning or blueing, and omit the Maynard "attachments." Basically, they were creating the improved M1855 (aka M1861) deciding to go with the existing machinery for producing the improved M1855 rather than retool for the replacement Speical Model 1861.

Springfield produced 9,002 M1855's in 1861 before converting over to the "improved M1855" or the M1861 and making 33,572 by year's end. (Just for comparison, Springfield made 8,600 in 1860 and 11,600 in 1859.)

So, the unresolved question is still, how long did it take to retool for the improvements on the M1855 AFTER Ripley's letter of April 26, 1861 which ultimately resulted in:

1. a new lockplate
          2. a new hammer
          3. a new rear sight
          4. no "patch box?"

In the absence of documentation, IMHO, there is a possibility that SOME
          M1861's may/maybe/not likely have been available for Federal's at Wilson's Creek in October based upon a 2000-2500 per month production rate (actually production averaged closer to 4,000 per month based on an earliest start date of May 1861)).

Harpers' Ferry is a bit more complicated, as they had "cut back" production waiting to retool for the "improved M1855," and were then taken over by Virginia on April 18, 1861.)

In brief and to over-generalize, as with the "looseness" of Period terminology, it hard to tell whether a "Minie rifle" or a "Springfield" is a M1855 or a M1861- but IMHO I lean toward M1855's until better research comes to light.

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt
          Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 05-06-2008, 02:52 PM.
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Ah, now we're getting somewhere! Excellent information, indeed. To summarize:

Please consider the following assumptions:

1. Production of the M1861 could have started as early as May 1861
            2. Average production for the remaining months of 1861 would have been about 4,200, but we can assume in the earlier months it was closer to Wright's estimate of 2,500 and later higher than the average.

Additionally, consider the following variables:

1. By what method(s) were finished muskets shipped from Springfield to St. Louis, presumably the arsenal from which new muskets would have been issued to troops prior to Athens and Wilson's Creek, and how long would this take?
            2. How much retooling was actually required to get the M1861 up and running, and how much, if any, did this delay production beyond April 26th?

Assuming the best case scenario based on the documented records and the above assumptions, by late July 1861 Springfield could have produced between 7,500 and 12,600 M1861 muskets. For any to have been issued to Col. Moore at Athens, they would have had to have arrived in St. Louis in late July. To be in the hands of Lyon's troops at Wilson's Creek on August 10th , they would have had to have arrived in St. Louis considerably earlier (Kip, help me out on this one). Given the reality of shipping methods, this would have cut the available number down somewhat it seems to me. So, a slight possibility exists if the initial 7,500 - 12,000 were not all dispensed to Eastern units and (and this is an important "and") production actually started in May or even June.

More thoughts?
            [FONT="Times New Roman"][/FONT] Aaron Racine
            [COLOR="Blue"][I]Holmes' Brigade, USV[/I][/COLOR]
            [COLOR="Silver"][COLOR="Gray"][I]Macon County Silver Greys[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]"This gobbling of things so, disgusts me much. I think the city should be burned, but would like to see it done decently." - Maj. Charles W. Wills, February 17, 1865, before Columbia, S.C.[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
            X