candles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: candles

To follow up with what Charles posted, does anyone have any information on Adamentine candles being cast in the period with the fluted bases. I've used and issued the candles mentioned but had questions about the fluting that I couldn't rightly answer one way or the other. -- Troy Groves
    Troy,

In the last few dozen threads on this subject, this unwanted modern feature comes up time and time again. To get the stearite candle, it appears we also get the fluting. Of the two remaining manufacturers worldwide, it appears neither makes the precise candle we seek. Perhaps the Swedish plant will provide an "Ultimate Campaigner Candle Bully Buy" some day before the exchange rate gets too absurd. Fact is, I was really concerned with the Ikea source dried up a few months ago, but the pig is off the boat and supplies are plentiful once more.

I've sawn the ends off with a Zona saw, and the ultra fine teeth work well. The candles will crumble when a cold knife is applied, but I haven't tried a hot knife yet. The problem with removing the fluting is the dimple in the base is also removed, and that little feature is crucial for certain types of light fixtures.

Gary Remy provided the star candle box. Ikea provides the candles. Kiev provided the candle band, so box, candles, and wrapper all match. That is pretty nice, and as good as getting the labels on the canned tomatoes to match the Brinkley & Reeves box. Well, maybe let's not talk about the cans themselves....
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Working...
    X