Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oilcloth Catridge Sling

Hallo Kameraden,
    I am Lokking for detailed Pictures of an Original Confederate Oilcloth Catridge Box Sling. Made of one Piece cloth, and folded over, or made of two pieces?
    are there seams in the center for more stability. (I have seen it on an Musket sling, unpainted, there are two rows of stitching, formed out as waves, crossing in the middle of the sling) Which cloth ?
    Thanksfor your help!
    Christof Bastert a.k.a Charles Kaiser, Private,
    Co D, 17th Mo Vol Inf (Re)

In Memory of Anthony and Joseph Schaer,
    Borlands Regiment/ 62nd Ark. Militia/Adams Inf./Cokes Inf.

German Mess

Re: Oilcloth Catridge Sling

Vieleicht wird diese bilder Ihnen helfen. Viel gluck. Bob
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

I have one on this page. Take a look, it sounds like what you are looking for.

Angelfire on Lycos, established in 1995, is one of the leading personal publishing communities on the Web. Angelfire makes it easy for members to create their own blogs, web sites, get a web address (domain) and start publishing online.
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

There a good skecthes of one in the "Confederate Sketchbook" with construction details.
        ~ Chris Hubbard
        Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
        [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

Hallo Kameraden,
          thanks for your answers, that what I search for. Know a second Qestion about the Oilcloth cartridge Box. I´ve seen someof the oilclothboxes, but none opened, so that i can see if there is an additional Pocket like on the leather boxes, and if the seams are flatfelled and so on. I needed Photos or construction- Details.
          Hope you can help me again.

German Mess

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Kaiser View Post
            now a second Qestion about the Oilcloth cartridge Box. I´ve seen someof the oilclothboxes, but none opened, so that i can see if there is an additional Pocket like on the leather boxes, and if the seams are flatfelled and so on. I needed Photos or construction- Details.
            Hope you can help me again.
            Any thoughts on this?
            Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
            Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Comment

Well, I don't know of any better photos than what you'll see here -

Perhaps you already know it but it may be of some help. The only box strap I ever saw firsthand was made of one piece, folded, lines of stitches about 6mm from edge, with wavy cross stiching in middle, very much like the one in the Confederate sketchbook. I believe it was made from linen.

David Stone
              David Stone

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmayo View Post
                I have one on this page. Take a look, it sounds like what you are looking for.

http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/csequip.html
                Jim,

I was looking at the William Brands painted canvas cartridge box. In the photo it looks like the sling was sewn to the back of the box with rough stitches. First, am I correct? Second, was that a field modification because the buckles tore loose?

Thanks,
                Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

I see broken Leather ends, and missing Rollerbuckles on the Cartridge box

German Mess

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                    Jim,

I was looking at the William Brands painted canvas cartridge box. In the photo it looks like the sling was sewn to the back of the box with rough stitches. First, am I correct? Second, was that a field modification because the buckles tore loose?

Thanks,
                    That was my thought when I viewed the box.
                    Jim Mayo
                    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmayo View Post
                      That was my thought when I viewed the box.
                      Jim,

Thanks for the confirmation.
                      Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

I have notes on a cartridge box belt issues to a member of the 4th VA. It is 1.5" wide 60" long doubled over fabric. Looks to be about a canvas weight. Inconsistant half circular stitch running the length, with straight stitching on both edges. Painted on outside only. 2 hand worked eyelets 2" from end, and 2 " between the two. Duplicated on both ends of belt. No leather ends, just fabric. All stitching but eyelets are by straight stitch machine. Hope this helps.
                        Eric Stephenson

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]The Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                        [URL="http://lodge245.doylestownmasons.org/"]Doylestown Masonic Lodge No. 245 Free and Accepted Masons[/URL]

"Captain Dike is in the hands of some brother Masons, and to the Order he owes his life." OR s.I v.II

Comment

Working...
                        X