Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Sanitary Commission Stamp

Gents,

I'm looking for information on the styles of stamps used by the US sanitary commission. I have seen the traditional sanitary u.s. commission within the oval. Anyone know the proper diameter the oval should be at its thinnest and thickest points? Also I had hear rumors of stencils being used on some of their distributed goods. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,
    Ryan McIntyre
    124th New York State Volunteers
    Founder of the Squatting Bullfrog Mess & the "Leave your politics at home" Mess

"the Doctor says that I have got the Knapsack complaint that is I cant carry a knapsack that is a disease of my own getting up for I can lift as much as eney[sic] of the boys"
    Joseph H. Johnston
    March 16th 1863
    Camp Convalescent

"It takes twelve men and a corporal up there [brigade headquarters] to take care of a few trees and salute the officers as they pass these are all the orders we have, but it is military I suppose..."
    Henry M Howell
    March 8 1863
    In camp Near Falmouth

Re: US Sanitary Commission Stamp

Originally posted by orngblsm View Post
    ...I have seen the traditional sanitary u.s. commission within the oval. Anyone know the proper diameter the oval should be at its thinnest and thickest points?... Any help would be greatly appreciated...
    Ryan -

Linked here is what I made up as a reproduction of a Sanitary Commission "contract quilt" stamp at what I believe to be actual size (2.16 x 1.31 decimal inches) -- but anybody that can confirm it please download and let us know. It's the "Sanitary Commission quilt stamp.pdf" file at

With the the letter style, relative size and the continuous oval line as shown, this obviously was not made via stencil, but would have been been made with a hand-held stamp of some sort... again those that know more please enlighten.

For our purposes you could take this pdf page file to a rubber stamp shop and they could make up the tool... I'll split cost with you if you want to have that done. We'd then mail it around to anybody else that has a one-time use.

Dan Wykes
    Last edited by Danny; 05-23-2008, 01:42 PM.
    Danny Wykes

Comment

Working...
    X