"early" war knapsack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "early" war knapsack

Does anyone have any research indicating what a prewar 1853/55 schuylkill produced knapsack would have looked like?

I'm aware that many vendors today offer an "early war" knapsack. From what I've seen these are normally characterized by welted seams and the omission of the stud cover and scallops on the shoulder straps. I am under the impression however, that these were simply contractor produced knock offs of the genuine article. On his website, Bob Serio goes so far as to state that these only superficially resembled the actual Federal issued item.

So my question is: What did the pre/early war federally produced pack look like? We know that schuylkill relied almost entirley on hand sewing for clothing items, but what about equipment? Would machine chain stiching on the leather components be inappropriate for these packs? Should the whole thing be done by hand? Did the Schuylkill produced pack have welted seams? Were the studs on the shoulder straps covered or uncovered?

Any help would be appreciated. For those of you who reenact 1850's regulars what has your research uncovered?

Thansk in advance,
    Matt Wright

Re: "early" war knapsack

Matt, two...no, make that three questions:

1) Have you consulted the research set forth in the 2nd edition of Columbia Rifles Research Compendium (CRRC)? The book has a chapter on issue knapsacks and variants thereof. Perhaps not the ultimate authority, but the writers have evidently looked at a lot of surviving knapsacks.

2) Since you are at Ft. Irwin, are you perchance with the 11th ACR? I was part of that regiment 1973-74. And...

3) Maybe you know a long-time re-enacting acquaintance of mine, Capt. (I believe) Karl Harness, currently at Irwin with the 11th?

If you don't have access to the CRRC, I'd be happy to share its information, for what it may be worth to you. Of course, there's a herd of knowledgeable people who frequent this web site, and they may tell you everything you could desire to know on the subject. If you don't get what you need, PM me here, or write direct to musketoon@aol.com.
    Dan Munson
    Co. F, 1st Calif. V.I.
    5th Wisc./10th Va.

Comment

Matt, I might also add that Don Smith (owner and chief artisan of TransMississippi Depot Co.) would probably have a fair amount of info on the subject. I sometimes fall in with Don in his Co. F, 1st California Vol. Infantry. The 1st California was originally issued with all sorts of pre-war equipment out of Benecia Arsenal. Don, stickler for detail that he is, has run down a lot of the details of their equipage. Just a thought...
      Dan Munson
      Co. F, 1st Calif. V.I.
      5th Wisc./10th Va.

Comment

Caveat - I have never seen it with mine own eyes or seen a picture of it, but...

I have read on more than one occasion - and heaven help me I cannot recall where - that the Danish exhange equipments in the late 1850's included a double-bag knapsack that did have scalloped straps and oversewn studs. It is interesting to note that the, or maybe more accurately a, French knapsack of the time had scalloped straps and oversewn studs as well; with all the French influence prior to hostilities I have wondered weather that was a deliberate copy of style.

I'll see if I can find some images...
        Tom Scoufalos
        [IMG]http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=268&pictureid=2165[/IMG]

"If you don't play with your toys, someone else will after you die." - Michael Schaffner, Chris Daley, and probably other people too...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Munson View Post
          Matt, two...no, make that three questions:

1) Have you consulted the research set forth in the 2nd edition of Columbia Rifles Research Compendium (CRRC)? The book has a chapter on issue knapsacks and variants thereof. Perhaps not the ultimate authority, but the writers have evidently looked at a lot of surviving knapsacks.

2) Since you are at Ft. Irwin, are you perchance with the 11th ACR? I was part of that regiment 1973-74. And...

3) Maybe you know a long-time re-enacting acquaintance of mine, Capt. (I believe) Karl Harness, currently at Irwin with the 11th?

If you don't have access to the CRRC, I'd be happy to share its information, for what it may be worth to you. Of course, there's a herd of knowledgeable people who frequent this web site, and they may tell you everything you could desire to know on the subject. If you don't get what you need, PM me here, or write direct to musketoon@aol.com.
          I was with the 11th ACR from 2003 to 2006 and deployed with them to Iraq in 2005. Spent my whole time in 1st Squadron, specifically A Troop, C Troop & HHT. I don't think I know a Karl Harness, he may have gotten there after I left although there are a lot of officers in the Regimental Support Squadron & 58th Engineers that I'm sure I never met.

I'm not at Fort Irwin anymore - but haven't gotten around to updating my location.

On a side note, when I got there, we were still using Sheridans. A Troop was the last to turn theirs in for the new Opposing Forces Surrogate Vehicle, and my platoon (3rd) was the last within Alpha, making me -by my count - the last Sheirdan platoon leader in the Army. I deployed with C Troop and we brought two M113s for the maintenance team and 1SG. Once we got there I tried to order any armor upgrade that I could find a stock number for. When the armor arrived it was - no kidding - the clam shell cuppola and gun shields that the 11th used on their ACAVs in vietnam. We installed them and used them. I always thought it was pretty neat to be able to say that when I was in the 11th ACR we were still using Sheirdans and ACAVs (even though its 30+ years after vietnam).

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction. I have the CRRC Vol. I, but not II. I'll get with you offline about gleaning any relevant info contained in the second volume.

Thanks,
          Matt Wright

"Allons!"
          "Find the bastards and pile on!"

Comment

Working...
          X