Patches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patches?

Now sewing is one of my preferred living history pastimes, from either making new garments or even just repairing old ones, it always seems to get the public interested. However I have always been curious on the subject of patching garments.

Now I've read several articles no here on how to correctly patch clothing, but i was wondering if anyone had any good hard evidence of patches used in the field? If anyone has any pictures of original clothing or even pictures of guys with patched clothing it'd be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    -Rob Williams
    Ft. Delaware State Park
    Independent Battery G Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery

"...as sometime happened, there was a company of cavalry out on drill, to engage in a sham fight with the battery...for while cavalry swept down on the guns at a gallop, with sabers flashing in the air, the cannoneers with guns loaded with blank cartridges, of course, stand rigid...until they are within a few rods of the battery. Then the lanyards are pulled..."
    p. 185 Hardtack and coffee

Re: Patches?

Hallo!

(This image is several "generations" old, so while I would like to credit it to the original poster, I do not know who it was.)

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Curt,

Is the crotch a patch too or is that part of the original pants. I have some pants that are in need of just that kind of work.

Thanks,
      Brad Ireland
      Old Line Mess
      4th VA CO. A
      SWB

Comment

Hallo!

My assumption is that it is a patch (making three in the image), but it could be a play of lighting.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
        X