Breast plate installation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breast plate installation?

How do you correctly locate and install the round eagle breast plate on a M1855/1861 cartridge box sling? Jarnagin's website shows how to install the oval plate on the box flap, but they seem to have forgotten the breastplate...
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Re: Breast plate installation?

Now, Dick. I believe you can figure this out using the same principles as on the Jarnagin site. Just center the holes on the cross belt at your breast and have at it. No disrespect intended. "Use the Force, Luke."
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

By design, it appears (after looking at several images) that when the cartridge box is being worn in the marching position (pushed back on the hip) it is in the center of the chest. When you move the cartridge box up to the firing position, it puts the breastplate off center (basically over the heart). Now, I do not know if this is military proceedure. I do know that in pictures, usually when you see the plates in the middle of the chest the box is back on their hip. If the box is rotated forward, the breastplate tends to be off center. Hope this helps. Go the library of congress and look at pictures of Federal soldiers wearing all their gear.
      Luke Gilly
      Breckinridge Greys
      Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Hallo!

I thought we had that previously archived, but I am not finding it, and it may have died in former Crash...

While the plates were typically attached before issuance in the field, one will find variation in the location based upon questimated positioning, build of the man, and whether he has the box on his hip or pulled back for "ease of marching," etc.

The Ordnance Manual is silent when it comes to secuirng the breast plates.

One method:

1. Put on the cartridge box.
        2. With the eagle head UP, visually center and place the plate on one's button line.
        3. Center the two wire loops on the center line of the shoulder belt, and press hard enough to make a mark.
        4. Using an X-acto knife or better yet a sharpened screwdriver, cut/punch the slots for the wire loops to pass through.
        5. Push the plate onto the shoulder belt so that the wire loops protrude through the backside, then secure them with a single or double strip of belt leather.

Some contractors pre-punched two slots for mounting, and some contractors later punched three slots to allow the "Burnside" plates to be fixed. But some contractrors varied the loop locations just enough to make pre-cut slots a nuisance, so it was easier to ship the plates spearately and attach them before issuance.

While one or two leather strips was common, there are variations such as whittled wooden pegs, binding with wire, and even simply bending the wire
        loops over.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post

While one or two leather strips was common, there are variations such as whittled wooden pegs, binding with wire, and even simply bending the wire
          loops over.

Curt
          I get the feeling that bending the loops over was the prevailing method used. In every extant sling/breatplate combo I've examined, the loops have been bent over. I don't think I've ever seen one using any other method. I realize that is anecdotal.
          Paul Calloway
          Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
          Proud Member of the GHTI
          Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
          Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Rich,

Every cartridge box I've examined has been the same...from the tip of the billet (The very tip end of the box belt) to the CENTER of the breast plate the measurement should be 25"....mark your loop holes, punch them, then use a thin leather strip to hold the plate in place! You shouldn't have to bend the loops over, but you my have to!

Check this out, if you are going to the high tide event, stop by my tent and I will put it on for you!

Good luck or I will see you in a few weeks...

Nick Duvall
            Duvall Leatherwork
            314 Wyoming Ave
            Kingston, PA 18704
            (570)283-9297
            duvall_leatherwork@hotmail.com
            Experience the exceptional fine leather goods from Duvall Leatherwork. Explore our collection of wallets, belts, handbags, accessories, and gifts.
            Nick Duvall

Comment

To Paul's point on the bent hooks, attached is the rear of a Federal plate found by me in 1963 at Cold Harbor from a position occupied by the 8th New York Heavy Artillery. Of course, that might be why it fell off!
              Bob Williams
              26th North Carolina Troops
              Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Thanks, all! My new box and plates should arrive early next week, so I'll post again if I run into trouble...

Comment

Most of my dug plates don't have any loops left but here are two that do.

One is dug with a good portion of the leather left and the loops are straight. No doubting how this one was secured.

The other is on a rig that belonged to Hugh Capner of the 23rd NJ. It is secured with leather.

Most I have seen have leather through the loops although I have seen many with the loops bent over.

Nice to be able to post pictures again.
                  Attached Files
                  Jim Mayo
                  Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                  http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Bending the loops over was perceived as being more secure, and this was probably the reason that some commands apparently ordered their troops to affix the plates by bending the loops.

Col. N. Crane to Capt. C. White, March 17, 1864: "Regarding the unacceptable losses of cartridge box belt plates, a remedy can be affected in the form of clenching the plate hooks behind the belt, thereby preventing the intentional or accidental separation of the two..."

John Tobey

Comment

Out of curiosity, were the plates on cartridge box flaps ever fastened by clenching the loops over as well?

Comment

I'm not sure how the breastplates are made today, but years ago they were reproduced the metal loops were 90 degree off what they were supposed to be. I guess the manufacturer expected the re-enactor to bend the loops down on either side of the box sling. We constantly had to use a propane torch to melt the lead and reposition the loops so that they would punch through the box sling, like the originals. Maybe the repros are corrected now, just don't get too confused if the loops don't line up right.

Second on Nick Duvall, all I've seen use a sliver of leather through the loops to hold it on. Years ago a dealer found a cache of those original leather thongs and was selling them.

I also seem to remember Spence Waldron telling me some stories about box plates, breast plates, and leather thongs. Spence?

Greg Starbuck
                        The brave respect the brave. The brave
                        Respect the dead; but you -- you draw
                        That ancient blade, the ass's jaw,
                        And shake it o'er a hero's grave.

Herman Melville

http://www.historicsandusky.org

Comment

The breastplate I got from Regimental Quartermaster has the loops set at an angle to the vertical axis of the plate, so they would be in a correct line with the box sling when installing it. I'm still new at this, but to my inexpert eye it appears to be of decent quality in materials and workmanship (some file marks in the lead on the back of the breastplate). I'm guessing my belt plate came from the same die as the box flap plate (my belt, belt plate, and cartridge box plate all game from Regt. QM), as they are a perfect match for each other.

Comment

Hallo!

"I'm guessing my belt plate came from the same die as the box flap plate (my belt, belt plate, and cartridge box plate all game from Regt. QM), as they are a perfect match for each other."

The more important question is how do the reproductions compare to the originals, not each other?

Not a reference to "Regt QM," but, there are some vendors that have been importing some really poor Indian/Pakistani versions, some going as far as going the hazardous lead material route and replacing the lead backing with gray epoxy.

Curt
                            Curt Schmidt
                            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                            -Vastly Ignorant
                            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Not having an original to compare side-by-side, and not being an expert, I can't say how exactly the repros I have compare to the originals in minute details, but just looking at photos of the originals online, they look identical to me. But like I said, I'm no expert. I know that Regimental Quartermasters has been referred to as a "recommended sutler" by several units I've come across online, though how much of a qualification that is I have no idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X