X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Breast plate installation?

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
    Hallo!

"I'm guessing my belt plate came from the same die as the box flap plate (my belt, belt plate, and cartridge box plate all game from Regt. QM), as they are a perfect match for each other."

The more important question is how do the reproductions compare to the originals, not each other?

Not a reference to "Regt QM," but, there are some vendors that have been importing some really poor Indian/Pakistani versions, some going as far as going the hazardous lead material route and replacing the lead backing with gray epoxy.

Curt
    Well, I just got a copy of CRRC2 yesterday. After looking at the article on belts and belt plates, I can find only one fault in my belt plate: it's flat, rather than having the correct "body curve".

Does anybody sell belt plates with the correct "bend" in them?
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Hallo!

"Well, I just got a copy of CRRC2 yesterday. After looking at the article on belts and belt plates, I can find only one fault in my belt plate: it's flat, rather than having the correct 'body curve.'

Does anybody sell belt plates with the correct "bend" in them?"

You may want to go through the SEARCH function and review the information on U.S. oval plates...

In brief and to over-generalize, and with arsenal and contractor variations so noted, NUG...

There are two plate "styles" or forms at work here. The "large," "flat," "block letter, "puppy stud" plates revised in the mid 1840's were used through roughly 1863ish. The other form is the "smaller," "convex," or "round," or "thick and thin," "arrowhead stud" plates that came out later in 1863.

While there were many variations during the War, for many years, the later, smaller rounded plates were the only ones available. A few years ago, the earlier, larger, flatter plates were introduced (so lads did not have to use 1863-1865 plates for 1861-mid 1863 impressions)..

(The "Dingee" or "Eagle" breastplate was omitted in 1864, and the cartridge box flap plate replaced by an embossed version in July 1864. The U.S. oval waistbelt managed to hang-on until replaced in 1874.)

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

My belt plate is exactly the same shape and size as my cartridge box plate, and has the arrowhead-type fastening studs.
        [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

My original

Box plate

Strap Plate

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Hallo!

As an aside, it was "expected" that some of the plates would be lost... ;)
            The 3rd Edition of the U.S.Ordnance Manual (1861) listed spare parts for accoutrements for one year in the field to be:

For 1,000 Infantry Accoutrements.

25 cartridge-box plates
            50 cartridge box belt-plates
            100 waist-belt plates
            100 cone-picks.

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
            X