Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fed Officer Sack: To Quilt, or Not to Quilt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fed Officer Sack: To Quilt, or Not to Quilt?

Folks,

I am making a Fed officers sack very similar to the ones pictured here:

My question is:
    Should the lining be quilted in the chest?

I've not had the chance to examine garments such as these in person and would really appreciate some insight from folks that have.

Thanks!
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Re: Fed Officer Sack: To Quilt, or Not to Quilt?

Anyone had a look at the inside of one of these coats?

(Bumpus Maximus!)
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger

Comment

I have personally examined five over the years; three were quilted throughout, one was lined only in the chest with a polished cotton and the other was unlined entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodenNutmeg View Post
        I have personally examined five over the years; three were quilted throughout, one was lined only in the chest with a polished cotton and the other was unlined entirely.
        Thanks, Bryan!

By "quilted throughout", do you mean the entire interior, rather than just the chest? Thanks, again!!!
        John Wickett
        Former Carpetbagger

Comment

I do indeed; from top to bottom.

Two coats were quilted all the way down to the bottom seam while the third coat was quilted leaving only about an inch gap between the bottom of the coat and the lining itself (which was left hanging).

Comment

Wic,

I took bits and pieces from several different originals to make the coat I wear. I am more of a "make it as I like it by using what I've seen on different originals" type guy.

Mine is heavily quilted and even has my period name quilted into the back.
            PATRICK CRADDOCK
            Prometheus No. 851
            Franklin, Tennessee
            Widows' Sons Mess
            www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrod Carter View Post
              I am more of a "make it as I like it by using what I've seen on different originals" type guy.
              Me too! ...the problem here is I've never had the chance to view an original... not even pics.

Personally, I like that approach. Only a fraction of a percent of the original items have survived. Holding one's self strictly to surviving originals in every detail would be rather limiting.

Originally posted by Bushrod Carter View Post
              Mine is heavily quilted and even has my period name quilted into the back.
              Very nice! To what extent did you quilt it and/or what kid of coverage? Chest only, chest/back, or the whole derned thing? Got any pics (original or repro) of linings?

Thanks, again!!
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger

Comment

Ok Wic,

Here is all I can offer - photos of the jacket I wear.

First photo: Notice it is a five button front. The fifth button is actually at the collar so isn't seen when the collar is turned down. Notice the button hole of the top button. That is where I attached my watch chain - as I typically don't wear a vest. (Notice the very cool Pioneer Patch!)

Second photo: is of the jacket showing the lining. Mine is lined all the way down, but the quilting doesn't go all the way down.

Third photo: close up on the quilting

Forth photo: Name quilted at center of back

Fifth photo: Another photo of the front, but this time the pocket flaps are out. The pockets on this jacket are made so the flaps can be worn on top of or inside the pocket depending on your mood. I typically always wear mine inside the pocket. (Did I mention the cool Pioneer patch?)

Six photo: This shows the back and how the "tail" is split. This is actually not very common on commercial sacks, but as I knew I would be wearing this jacket while (at times) on a horse, I opted for the split.

Several other things to note: The jacket is not as long as those you point out in the above photo. That was a personal choice by me. I didn't want the length getting in my way. Also, the jacket is completely trimmed in black cotton tape. Again, another choice by me. No all commercial sacks did that.
                Attached Files
                PATRICK CRADDOCK
                Prometheus No. 851
                Franklin, Tennessee
                Widows' Sons Mess
                www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

Mr. Craddock

Are you going to divulge the fact that your coat weighs more than a fourth grader after a good lather has been worked up?

Superb pioneer patch by the way.
                  Cameron Stinnett

A E K D B

Comment

Hay Caramba! Now that's QUILTING! Thanks for sharing that!
                    John Wickett
                    Former Carpetbagger

Comment

Working...
                    X