period laquer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• period laquer

I'm looking to make a coating to cover the bare metal on my axe. I've read that they used to use a combination of turpentine,beeswax and boiled linseed oil to rust proof items, but I have no idea what the ratio used was. Anyone know more about this finish?

Thanks,

Adam Dickerson
    Adam Dickerson

Re: period laquer

The rust proofing compound you speak of (I have no idea the ration of the items in the mixture) was used to protect the items in storage. It may have been removed on issue or with a little use, it wore off quickly. Use of the item is the rust proofing that you need, an item used every day will nut rust.
    Thomas Pare Hern
    Co. A, 4th Virginia
    Stonewall Brigade

Comment

The best thing you can do for an axe is keep it sharp, keep the metal oiled and keep it put up in a dry spot when you're not using it. The sharp thing is the most important one of the three. You can cut a tree with a butterknife but why not use a sharp axe?
      Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
      WIG/GVB
      In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Hallo!

You may be thinking of the 3rd Edition of the U.S. Ordnance Manual
        (1861):

Lacker for Small Arms, or for Water-Proof Paper

Beeswax..............................13 lbs.
        Spirits turpentine...................13 galls.
        Boiled linseed-oil....................1 gall.

These were slowly heated until well mixed.

Of course, one can decrease the amount but retain the proportions. ;)

But as shared, oiling or even greasing bare iron/steel blades is better.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I almost forgot, keep the wood of your handle rubbed down with linseed oil, as well. When the wood starts to dry out it becomes brittle and will have a greater chance of breaking or splintering under normal use. Another thing you can do is use it and get proficient with it. It sounds stupid but I've seen too many jackasses that think they know how to use an axe splinter up a handle by not knowing how to get their stance right or by swinging wrong or a myriad of other things wrong that are supposed to make the axe work right. For splitting wood, I prefer an 8 lb. maul for the bulk of the work like splitting logs and the axe for either felling, light splitting or kindling work.
          Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
          WIG/GVB
          In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Working...
          X