Boiled beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiled beef

As a fairly new Civil War reenactor—but one who is committed to authenticity—that does not eat pork, I am looking for as much information as possible of preserving and eating beef in the field. A fella a Brandy Station let me sample boiled beef and I was very impressed; it was tender and quite delicious. My question is how do you make it and how long—when wrapped in paper and twine—will it last? Thanks.

Marc Turk
    124th NYSV
    [B]Marc Turk[/B]
    124th New York
    [I]"The Orange Blossoms"[/I]

Re: Boiled beef

Marc -
    You may want to give "Salt Beef" or "Salted Beef" a run in our search engine. I think you'll have more hits then a search for boiled beef.

Keep in mind that beef sausage and salt fish are also options.
    Paul Calloway
    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
    Proud Member of the GHTI
    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
    Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Marc,

A number of folks don't consume pork, so you are in good company.

Just for fun, take a look at the cooking section in Kautz' Customs of Service. This link should work and put you into the flour/beef section:

Cooking

Even if not, these paragraphs from Kautz should help:

681. MEAT is issued to soldiers in the form of fresh beef salt beet salt pork, and bacon. Fresh beef is perishable, as well as bulky, and, where it accompanies troops on the hoof, requires time to slaughter and to cook. Salt beef is bulky, but less perishable than fresh. Salt pork and bacon are preferred by old troops on the march, as being the least bulky, easily cooked, and more readily kept than beef. It has, however, been found by experience best to alternate those different kinds according to means and opportunities.

682. Fresh beef is most economically cooked by boiling in the camp-kettles usually furnished, particularly when the cooking is for the entire company, as the liquor in which the beef has been cooked is then used for soup. The value of soup is not fully appreciated by the American soldier. It is the most nourishing and healthy diet that can he prepared from his ration, and enables the mixed vegetables to be used in a palatable form.

683. In boiling beef to make soup, the proportion of water should be about a quart to the pound, the meat being cut in such a shape that it will be covered by the water. It should be made to boil as soon as possible, and then the fire should be reduced so as to let the pot simmer. From three to four hours are necessary to cook the beef. The soup may be made at the same time, if necessary, or the liquor may be saved from one day to another. It keeps best in earthen vessels, where they can be had for the purpose.

684. The bones of beef are the best for making soup, and should always be saved for that purpose. Soldiers, however, are apt to throw them away, particularly where the messes are small and the amount does not seem to justify the economy.

685. Roasting beef is impracticable in the field, but broiling it is the common practice. It is a healthy but wasteful mode of cooking. Placed on the coals, or stock upon a stick over the fire, it is easily cooked, and very palatable. Frying, particularly in fat, is neither economical nor healthy, although a very common practice in the service. The gravy is used as a substitute for butter.

686. Salt beef can be cooked in but one way to advantage; and that is, by boiling. It should be thoroughly soaked in cold water (cold water dissolves salt better than warm water), and frequently changed, for ten or twelve hours, or longer, and should then be cooked the same as fresh beef. It requires longer to cook than fresh beef and is not available for soup, on account of the salt it contains. When old, it must be cooked a long time to be rendered palatable. When very salt, it may be added to potatoes and onions, and a palatable hash made of it.
      He gives a basic quart of water to a pound of beef ration, but doesn't mention adding vinegar, salt, or pepper. Other recipes do mention adding a little vinegar, ground pepper, and salt to taste. Boil water. Cut the meat to size. Cook well. Carrying some desiccated potatoes at those rare events where rations are not issued makes for some good hash, and wild onions can be had on most any land with a low pH level.

As moderns, we wouldn't think of leaving beef out of the fridge for several days, but boiled beef will last for three to four days in the haversack even in 100 degree heat.

Viele's also has some good cooking info:

Thanks to the Drill Network

So does H.L. Scott's Dictionary:

More Thanks to the Drill Network

You'll find Soyer has been cribbed, copied, and liberally used in many different publications when it comes to CW cooking. He really had a thing for soup.
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

As someone allergic to pork, I often have to bring my own beef ration to events which provide only pork as a ration.
        I have had success with boiling beef at home, and refrigerating it before I leave for the event. I wrap it in cloth and store it, in my haversack or sometimes in a boiler. But I would exercise caution if you store it in a boiler, as the salt in the boiled beef can deteriorate the tin plating, or cause the tinning to stick to the beef.
        Although not period correct, I usually boil the beef with modern meat curing salt. One time I boiled the beef with salt water and red wine, and this left a good flavor to the beef and tenderized it somewhat.
        Sean Foster
        [SIZE="2"][I][FONT="Garamond"]Sean Foster[/FONT][/I]
        Company D, 1st Minnesota
        Starr's Battery, NC Artillery[/SIZE]

Comment

You should take a look at Horford's Army Ration circular where he makes the case for sausage. He has a lot of interesting detail about beef rationing that will probably be of interest to you.

It's really amazing how small the amount of consumable meat is which can be garnered from field-butchering a 1,500 lb cow.
          Paul Calloway
          Proud Member of the GHTI
          Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Boiled beef, soup, dried fish. bread, secession, epiphets...this excerpt has it all... including what reads like some Tom Cruise bar tendering

Punch on the American rebellion.
            the Civil war in America

Charleston, July 26 1861.

Mr. Punch, Sir

......Am now in Charleston, very center of secessionism. Was told in the North I should be able to get neither lodging nor food in this city. How absurdly things are exaggerated at distance. Found little or no difficulty in securing fair portion of billiard table on which I sleep quite comfortably; a little inconvenient in the morning, to be sure, when they commence pool, for although they have no right to play at my end before seven o'clock, still it is almost impossible to prevent balls flying about occasionally. Gentleman, this morning made winning hazard off back of my head, but they would not let it count, which I was sorry for on the whole, stroke unintentional I know, but billiard balls hard, and human nature weak, particular about lower part back of head. As for food live on clover, or something confoundedly like it. Call it gumbo, have it three times a day. Yesterday dined off split chicken, looked like arms of Austria broiled. For breakfast they serve us species of vulcanized pancake, known I think (mind only think, so if mistaken do not set me down as another Mr. Arrowroot, of Times correspondence notoriety), known I think, as corn-dodgers, or flap-jack.--One plastic substance served up with treacle, so as to resemble blister, is I know called buckwheat cake.

To-day witnessed one of institutions of country in its most striking aspect. Public barroom free at lunch time. Most drinking saloons of any eminence, spread lunch table from eleven to one o'clock, every one who chooses come in, eats as much as he likes and pays nothing. About twelve o'clock drop into "Gem," great crowd people there, eating, drinking, smoking, talking. Large table set out, boiled beef, oyster soup, gumbo, dried fish, choose, crackers, and bread. Gentlemanly barkeeper mixing drinks in highly artistic manner, pouring liquid from one tumbler to another in parabolic curve over his head.--General hum of conversation, in which the words "Secession," "Southern confederation." "No, how you can fix it," "That long, subsided, nigger stealing son of a gun, Abe Lincoln," "No sir-ree, hoss," most frequently heard. Shuffling of feet, clinking of ice in huge pitchers, etc. Works of art acorn walls — female figure in high style of undress most patronized. Spittoons as large as bushel baskets generously distributed over marble floors; easy chairs in all directions — gentlemen sitting on shoulder blades.

Comment

Paul,

After the Friday Night Sausage Escapade at balmy Fort Donelson with Colbi Rosenthal in 2006, I don't know if I want to see anymore sausage....ever, but it is something we don't see enough of in the field.

Ron Myzie contributed a printable version of Horsford's (note the baking connection) work a while back. The Googlebooks version is: Even reprinted in 1961 due to popularity

Ron's version may be accessible via a link in his signature block.

Mark "Silas" Tackitt added this to the collection a while back. I have read through it several times, and I sure do wish more commissary officers had responded to this simple survey, even if it took forever and a day to get it into print:

How to Feed an Army

Then the 8th TN (US) has a good intro:

Good Eats

In handling a few linear feet of beef butchering documentation last week (covering weight, air temps, time of day, beef temps, scraps, hide, hoofs, etc.) , I was impressed with how much the forms and the processes reminded me of the 1950s-1960s (Deming/McNamara Era) Quality Assurance/Quality Control implementation, but without the stats required for randomness. The tedium of selecting two beeves, and going through the whole process must have been a real PITA.

This article is brief, but enjoyable reading:

Bull Run Staff Ride - Logistics

Field rations developed during the latter half of the 19th century, and while this is a Great War site, the information about British rations shows the thought process for moving from loose rations to pre-packaged goods.

Too Good Not to Share

To the left of this is a collection of similar articles for French, German, Ottoman, etc. Like reading Upton's postwar tactics manual, perusing the post CW war "problem solving" efforts can and often will provide information about good/bad/ugly wartime practice, as well as attempts to fix them.
              [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Here's one for you Charles. I think you'll like this article in the Galveston Daily News from 1869 regarding slaughtering and curing. (First 3 columns on left side of the page.)

Source:
                Galveston Daily News. Dec. 29, 1869. Vol. 97. Pg. 1.
                Attached Files
                Paul Calloway
                Proud Member of the GHTI
                Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Paul,

That's a good match up for the northern version of the same, but the real jewel in that article is the mention of beef jerky's false economy. Thanks!
                  [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Thanks guys...there's a lot here to--pardon the pun--consume!
                    [B]Marc Turk[/B]
                    124th New York
                    [I]"The Orange Blossoms"[/I]

Comment

Working...
                    X