Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Company Wag

Friends,
    As I read and research on this forum and elsewhere, I often find references to articles in The Company Wag. My question is how I might obtain copies of that newsletter. It is a bit frustrating to find a valuable bibliography and not be able to pursue the documents.
    I am particularly interested in the article -- Adolphson, Steven J. and Larry Strayer - 'Rather Coarse and Scratchy: U.S. Army Shirts of the 1860's. '
    The Company Wag November 1994, No.8., pp 1-7.

(Moderators, if I have placed this in the wrong forum, please accept my apologies and move to an appropriate one.)
    Slainte,
    Sally Ryan
    Civilian Coordinator, 69th NYSV
    SWCW
    (At home on Hospital Road, Gettysburg)

Re: The Company Wag

If you find a copy of that, I'd be interested to see it. You might also be interested in taking advantage of the Company of Military Historians magazine sale and pick up these two issues:

and this issue: Vol. 47, No. 3 -- Fall 1995
    Both issues have articles on issue shirts.
    Yours, etc.,
    Matt White
    http://www.libertyrifles.org/
    http://www.cwurmuseum.org/
    http://www.military-historians.org/

"One of the liveliest rows I had while in the service was with the quartermaster for filling a requisition that I made for shoes for my company, on the theory that no shoe was too large for a Negro, and he gave me all 10's and upwards. When I returned the shoes, informing him that my soldiers did not wear pontoons, he insisted that I should take them and issue them to my company anyway. Well, I didn't do it: consequently the row."
    -Robert Beecham 2nd Wisconsin/23rd USCT

Comment

Originally posted by sallymoore View Post
      I am particularly interested in the article -- Adolphson, Steven J. and Larry Strayer - 'Rather Coarse and Scratchy: U.S. Army Shirts of the 1860's. 'The Company Wag November 1994, No.8., pp 1-7.
      Sally,

This article is also included in The Hardcracker Handbook, and one of the usual suspects in the 69th NY most likely has a copy of this collection of articles, to include a few more about issue shirts and shirts in general. Shoot 'em an email. I don't know if Cal Kinzer still cranks out copies of The Hardcracker Handbook, but he used to keep an ad in the back of Camp Chase Gazette back in the day.
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Sally,
        You might also try getting in touch with some of the Mudsills that hang around the boards here from time to time. Brian Baird and Aaron Schwieterman are former members of that group and I know Aaron still has laying around some old copies of The Company Wag. Joe Hill is another former member who still keeps in touch with Larry Strayer. Shoot me a private message and I'll pass Joe's e-mail address along to you so that he might put you in touch with Larry.
        Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

Sally, I have a copy of that article. Send me your address and I'll make a copy and snail mail it to you. Bud
          Bud Scully 13th NJ Co.K Mess and 69th NY (N-SSA)

Comment

Friends,
            Thank you all for the kind assistance with the shirt article from The Company Wag. Is there any official, archived source for the past issues? Just asking for future reference.
            Slainte,
            Sally Ryan
            Civilian Coordinator, 69th NYSV
            SWCW
            (At home on Hospital Road, Gettysburg)

Comment

Sally,
              Most of the issues of the WAG were sold out. The last I knew Jim Rapai had all the copies of the WAGs.

Brian Baird
              Mudsill

Comment

Andy Oren out of Milwaukee (?) was selling back issues on eBay last year. He may still have some.
                Steve Sullivan

Comment

Originally posted by JimConley View Post
                  Sally,
                  You might also try getting in touch with some of the Mudsills that hang around the boards here from time to time. Brian Baird and Aaron Schwieterman are former members of that group and I know Aaron still has laying around some old copies of The Company Wag. Joe Hill is another former member who still keeps in touch with Larry Strayer. Shoot me a private message and I'll pass Joe's e-mail address along to you so that he might put you in touch with Larry.
                  Unfortunately, I don't have that issue in my collection.

I remember seeing a thread last year about issue shirts, which had an attachment of "Rather coarse and scratchy" Wag issue provided, but I think the link was pulled. (Could be a copyright issue). I can't find it in the search feature anymore.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                  Cincinnati

Comment

Hello

Has anyone out there thought of puting them into book form? I bet it would be a great tool to raise money for preservation.
                    [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="5"]Jasper Massey.
                    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="3"]Christopher Irelan.
                    CFC.[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

I know this is a very OLD thread, but I recently discovered when I rearranged my library, that I do indeed have a small cache of "Company Wag"s there. Sorry, not much selection. And by the way, The Hardcraker Handbook reprinted those articles without our permission, and they were copyrighted articles.
                      RIP Chawles.
                      Scott Cross
                      "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Working...
                      X