Considering a flintlock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering a flintlock

I am thinking about purchasing a flintlock for early war impression (private weapon showing up for enlistment early war). I have found a 1816 Springfield, however, I am not sure what would be considered a "private purchase." What would be a common flintlock of private useage be during the1850's? I own a double barrel shotgun, so that has already been done.
    Would the 1816 Springfield work?

On another note I am also considering a Lorenz purchase. Were the Lorenz weapons predominately smoothbore or rifled?

Thanks
    [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Re: Considering a flintlock

The Lorenz was rifled 54 cal. The earlier austrian muskets were 69 71 cal and most smoothbore. JIM HENSLEY
    [FONT="Century Gothic"][/FONT][FONT="Georgia"][/FONT][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Jim Hensley[/FONT]
    Order of Heptasophs 1852

Comment

Hallo!

A long discussion that...

In brief and to over-generalize...

Three "streams" to fish in:

1. The prior service family "heirloom" from the Rev War, War of 1812, or even maybe the Seminole Wars taken down from above the door or from over the fireplace. (Of course, it would not necessarily look NIB and pristine...) or

2. The prior or current service "militia" type obsolete musket, (also not new and pristine), or

3. The deer or bear hunting rifle of the relevent regional schools, etc.,

IMHO, while one can somewhat "get away" with Nos. 1 and 2, with some aging and distressing work so that a say M1795 SPringfield does not look mint, unissued, unused...
      No. 3 is also doable at the custom-built level as there are few or very limited choices for modern commecially made, mass produced, deer and bear, mountain, and plains rifles of the 1820's through 1840's.

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt
      Not a fan of 1850's or 1860's St. Louis Samuel Hawken or Campbell "Hawken" rifles for eastern ACW use Mess
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Some of the Arkansas units were outfitted with flinlocks early in the war. I have read, sorry can't find the source this instant, that the 6th Arkansas was issued the M1822 .69cal flintlock, and used them for the first year of the war. Commanders complained about the difficulty of firing them in wet weather, at Shilo.
        Marvin Boyce

Comment

My choice would be the "Poor Boy" rifle style used from the mid-1830's on. It would be non-frill with a hole in the stock for patch and grease. Most were in the .36 to .44 cal. These guns can be found from Texas to Virginia and many were used as "military" substitutes early on in the War. There are fellas making them in Arkansas and Tenn today. Several had been converted to percussion at the time of the Texas Revolution (Crockett's men brought several with them) so you could have one that would be in original flint, but most likely by the 1850's they would have been original percussion or converted.

I am sure you will get several responses on the Lorenez, but this is a War-time weapon, most likely .54 cal if Southern, or .58 if Northern imported (exceptions here) and the majority of .54 cals had cheek pieces.

My 2cents worth.

Joe Walker
          Waco Guards
          CMH

Comment

The choice would be up to him and based on the rank of society he portrays. Volunteers are not always poor or country folk. Therefore the options can range from a well used inherited fowler to an newer, fine rifle.
            B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

My 4g grandfather was a blacksmith in the area pre-war. Several of his rifles still exist. He made a pair of matching muskets somewhere around 1855 (I can't remember the exact date). My family has one...the other is in a local museum on display. They are both flintlock. They are smootbore but both seem to be .69 cal. They are not exactly the same however and neither are exactly .69 cal. (I think one is .675 and the other .71). This could be due to heavy use or a lack of equipment/ability to make it that exact. Both are complete with bullet mold and named Mary and Joseph! I will be in the area on Tuesday...I will go in and get some good digital pictures (the curator lets me do this since our family is nice enough to let them display the gun). However, the best part of the display is the newspaper article claiming that he killed the last deer in the county with that rifle!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Anyway, to get back to the point...there is a rifle in the same collection that contains a Springfield lockplate. It is also labeled as a homemade rifle. Was this normal or is this most likely a later alteration or repair? As I said, I will post pictures as soon as I can if they will indeed still let me photograph!
                Luke Gilly
                Breckinridge Greys
                Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Mr. Beal,

"Poor Boy" is considered a type of country rifle, not reflecting status.

Joe Walker

Comment

Hallo!

It is not unusal for "locally made" guns to be "pieces/parts."

Even as early as 1775/76, local Committees of Safety's scrounged damaged guns and salvageable parts and contracted with local gunsmiths to "restock" them into "sericeable" arms to equipment the Continental forces scrambling for arms.
                    After the War, it was not unusual for local gunmakers to "recycle" and "cannibalize" parts from guns to ressemble or use them in the making of new guns (believed by some to by a way of offering a reduced price option for the buyer with less or more limited spending cash.

As the Industrial Revolution took off, fewer and fewer gunmakers "bothered" to make lock, stock, barrel, and furniture entirely by hand- and often bought parts from local general and hardware stores. And even "big name" gun companies supplies say locks and barrels to hardward stores for sale.

A military lock on a "local" gun, IMHO, is just possible part of the "Hey, watcha got you can make me a gun out of lying around here?" :)

Curt
                    Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 08-03-2008, 10:26 PM.
                    Curt Schmidt
                    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                    -Vastly Ignorant
                    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

In the History Channel's special on the American Revolution, they state that the British brown bess was issued to colonial militia. You can pass one off as a family heirloom handed down from the revolution.

In Don Troiani's "Civil War" it states on page 21 when talking about Shiloh, "Like many troops in General Albert Sidney Johnston's army, the 19th Tennessee had marched to war armed with outdated Model 1816 flintlock muskets. Despite the Confederacy's seizure of US arsenals, not until sufficient shipments of British Enfields began to arrive would the South be able to equip its forces with substantial numbers of modern percussion long arms." So, if you're portraying an early war confederate in Johnston's army, an M1816 springfield would be accurate, especially if you're doing a Tennessee soldier.
                      Kenny Pavia
                      24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

There are a couple of things to consider. First, the latest "Brown Bess" would be a third model which have even been used in the War of 1812 and would be fifty years old. This is something that would have to be made up of Rifle Shoppe parts since it is very different than the imported "Long Land Pattern" repro, which has been shortened for production purposes. For some reason, even later British arms such as the .70 cal. Model 1851 Minie rifle were still referred to as the "Brown Bess" so this may cause some confusion. A better choice for a flintlock might be a M1816 or even better the M1835. These muskets appear in many early CDVs. Many of these muskets were left unaltered to percussion at the beginning of the war. This could make the gun a Mexican War veteran and not such a far stretch. These guns are also available as reproductions, although a little pricy. If money and barrel length are not a consideration, a Hall breechloader would also be a great choice for an early gun. This is something that would also have to be built up from parts.

As far as the Austian Lorenz, the earlier M1849 was called the "Kammerbusche" and used a strange primer system. The "Lorenz" were the models of 1854 abd 1862. These guns were often cobbled up from older surplus parts and were .54 cal. Many, were rebored to .58 for import during WBTS, while others remained in their original configuration. It's also important to know that many of these guns were converted to flintlock during the *late* 19th century, Belgium for the African trade.

Respectfully,
                        John Van Sickle

Comment

There are a few Pro and Con "bess" threads worth looking in to.
                          B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Originally posted by john.vansickle View Post
                            As far as the Austian Lorenz, the earlier M1849 was called the "Kammerbusche" and used a strange primer system.
                            Maybe it is "Kammerbüchse" and not Kammerbusche. Büchse is the German term for "rifle."

I know, these Umlaute can drive you crazy ;)
                            Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
                            Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Comment

Hi,

On a completely different note, who sells M1816 muskets?
                              Last edited by Andrew Kasmar; 08-04-2008, 11:35 AM.
                              Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Working...
                              X