Frock Coat Boot Camp AAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frock Coat Boot Camp AAR

Back home in Gettysburg after participating in Chris Daley's Frock Coat Boot camp. Excellent materials, instruction and even better comradery. While we all didn't make the same amount of progress, we had a great time learning and working together. I was able to finish the frock coat up to the front buttonholes, buttons, general thread trimming and final pressing. The conversation, laughter and bad jokes made the work go quickly. Special thanks in order to Chris, not only for his expertise and help, but also for putting up with all the good-natured banter. Looking forward to another workshop with Chris.

Slainte,
    Sally Ryan
    Civilian Coordinator, 69th NYSV
    SWCW
    (At home on Hospital Road, Gettysburg)
    Slainte,
    Sally Ryan
    SWCW

Re: Frock Coat Boot Camp AAR

Sally, We're we in the same place?!?!

Just kidding!!! It was an eye opening experience for me. Being a novice tailor I learned there was more than meets the eye. The frock coat being made is Chris's Boylan Contract frock coat.

I needed the 3rd day or 8 more hours, to get to where Sally and Peter were at the end of 2 days. My sewing skills are not what theirs are! Had I been at the point of attching the quilted breast Sat. night I could have worked on it in the hotel room for "Homework".

The furnished materials were top notch! The instruction was great, we didn't have any complainersand lunch was provided by Chris along with some munchies! Nobody finished their frock coat in 2 days but some left with sleeves attached while others of us were slower.

Finishing the coat is my main concern now. I've got to finish the collar, assemble sleeves, do the cuff work, attach the sleeves then do buttons and button holes (to be brief). Chris has been helpful up until now and I don't expect him to be any less helpful with the needed info to finish it.

More to follow
    Last edited by Prodical Reb; 09-15-2008, 08:06 PM.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
    Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
    Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
    The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

How about posting some in progress pictures guys :)
      Brad Ireland
      Old Line Mess
      4th VA CO. A
      SWB

Comment

here are some pics of my coat as it stands now. The pics are of a tail pocket, facing, collar, jacket w/o sleeves and what is left to do.
        Attached Files
        [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
        Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
        The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Sally and Mike hit the nail on the head. I left Sunday at about 5:00 PM for the 8-hour drive home. It was worth it and I would do it again. I had one sleeve on and the buttonholes to do as well as buttons, and to finish the other sleeve. After 5 hours all I have left to do are put the front buttons on and it is complete. It will be on me for this weekend event, Brick House. Chris is good at what he does. He helped when needed and was on top of it all. The frock looks great and my wife was impressed with the work. That is a credit to Chris. I am hoping he sets the date for the winter class soon. I’m in when it gets posted. Thank You Chris once again.
          Dave Warringer Crpl
          Member Squatting Bullfrog Mess
          124th NYSV Orange Blossoms
          "Squat, my Bullfrogs."
          In Memory of Rufus Warringer
          20th NYS Militia Co B
          Killed at Antietum Sept 17, 1862

Comment

Concern noted, Dennis. However, let's keep this thread on-topic, OK?
            Thanks!
            John Wickett - Moderator
            Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 09-17-2008, 02:12 PM.
            Dennis Neal
            "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
            David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
            Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
            [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
            J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

What Chris does with his workshops provides a source for several people each year to learn tailoring and sewing from a competant person so as to continue the skills for the betterment of the hobby. If you compare the price of the workshop with the cost of materials and time spent, Chris didn't come out ahead monetarily, but the hobby is probably better for it with people who learn the skills that sometimes takes years to learn.
              Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 09-17-2008, 02:14 PM. Reason: Removed off-topic text. - John Wickett - Moderator
              Ross L. Lamoreaux
              rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Does Chris or any other vendor for that matter plan on holding more workshops like this in the near future? I agree with Mr. Lamoreaux, this is one way to certainly improve the hobby in a lot of aspects.
                Brandon English

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."--William T. Sherman

Comment

Chris has just posted a 2009 workshop schedule on his website - http://www.cjdaley.com/workshops.htm
                  Slainte,
                  Sally Ryan
                  SWCW

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonEnglish View Post
                    Does Chris or any other vendor for that matter plan on holding more workshops like this in the near future? I agree with Mr. Lamoreaux, this is one way to certainly improve the hobby in a lot of aspects.
                    The Genteel Arts Academy has conducted hands-on workshops on civilian clothing - male and female - for 21 years. Information on the 2009 classes is available at www.genteelarts.com
                    Carolann Schmitt
                    [email]cschmitt@genteelarts.com[/email]
                    20th Annual Ladies & Gentlemen of the 1860s Conference, March 6-9, 2014

Comment

Hi,

His worksops look great; now only if I lived within a 1,000 miles of him!!!!!!:cry_smile
                      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Update:

Trying to catch Chris is like herding cats!

I was able to link up with him in Oct at the Cedar creek event on Sat afternoon and done some button holes. He took my unfinished coat with the pretense of finishing it and sending info out to others so they could finsh their frocks. I left him to do his work and didn't contact him again until late Jan. I ask him how the coat was coming and that I had an event at the end of March where my unit was the US force (Latta Plantation). I know this isn't a EFUBU or a total hardcore campaigner event still it is a historical sight in NC and this helps them out. I offered to show up at the Feb Fed sack & trowsers class, no room. March's class was cancelled, and no class in April.

Again, No luck, no frock still; a couple more emails pass and again and event that we are going to as Federal and a 150th battle at Plymouth, NC. We're going as the 101st PVI, Plymouth Pilgrims. I've offered to meet with him, meet at a class, and asked for advice from him when I had my coat. But no luck in getting it done. There hasn't been much support after the class towards finishing my coat.

This probably won't help any either. just wanted to see if anybody else from the Sep 08 class is in the same boat as me with their Federal Frock class frock coat?

Comment

Working...
                        X