Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Bayonets and Miroku 1861s: A Question of Fitting

Dear ACers,

I would like to know if any of you have experience concerning the fitting of original bayonets on Miroku-made 1861 "Springfield" rifle-muskets?

I have read that people have fit original bayonets on repro muskets, which sometimes involves filing off a bit on the musket or on the bayonet to insure a proper fit. I have also read, and heard/seen first-hand, that some people have original Enfield bayonets fit the 1861s by Miroku.

I wonder if anybody has tried to fit an original 1855 U.S. bayonet on a Miroku 1861 and if they had to adjust either the musket or the bayonet in order to do so. I could imagine that, since the barrel of the Miroku is not as thick as the Italian reproductions' ones, an original bayonet might fit well without much ado.

I wish I could bring my Miroku to a gunshow or a dealer myself, but unfortunately, I live in Germany and do not really have such an opportunity (I doubt if many dealers at German gun shows have a huge, if at all, selection of Civil War bayonets) and would therefore rely on ordering a bayonet from a dealer in the States in the hope of a good result. Therefore, any helping comments are greatly and gratefully appreciated.
    Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
    Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Re: Original Bayonets and Miroku 1861s: A Question of Fitting

'n Abend, mein Freund!

I went down and tried two (2) original M1855 socket bayonets on the repro Miroku M1861.

The first fit like a glove (a pleasant treat when used to using Italian
    M1861's and Italian M1855 socket bayonets).

Surprisingly, the second's sight base caught on the slot and would not slide over. For some reason, the second original has a slightly narrower slot than the other. To remedy that, a very small filing would have to be removed from the length of the front sight/bayonet stud to allow it to slide freely through the slot.
    The rest of the "fit" was as a glove as it should.

The adustment of the clamping ring was spot on, and required no screw adjustment up or down.

I would have expected both bayonets to be identical, so I am glad I did more than one.

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thanks for your hope-instilling reply, Kamerad.
      Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
        the ... sight base caught on the slot and would not slide over. ... To remedy that, a very small filing would have to be removed from the length of the front sight/bayonet stud to allow it to slide freely through the slot.
        This is what has happened to me. A little filing off the front sight and now it fits perfectly - and has made me one happy Miroku-original bayonet-combination owner :thumbs_up
        Bene von Bremen

German Mess

Comment

Great Ben, then I do not have to worry that much of the bayonet I am going to get:) Now we only need to get thje stamps for stock and the VP and eagle head stamp.
          Jan H.Berger
          Hornist

German Mess
          http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Working...
          X