Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage of Gun Cleaning Equipment

Hi all,
    This may be a dumb question bu I was packing a few things into my knapsack this evening and was wondering where a soldier would have stored things such as the wiper, tow, oil, and patches for cleaning his musket. I guess my thought was that if a soldier was without a knapsack where would he store these items?

Joey
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Respectfully,
    Joseph S. Danner

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [COLOR="Red"]The Pine River Boys - 7th Wisconsin, Company I[/COLOR][/FONT]

Re: Storage of Gun Cleaning Equipment

The tool pouch/impliment(sp) pouch on the side of your cartridgebox was designed for this very thing.
    Luke Gilly
    Breckinridge Greys
    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Further, our good friend Sam Watkins clearly mentions that his comrades carried their gunwiper, wrench and gunstopper in thier pockets, at least that's where they had them when they threw em away and deserted when Hood replaced Johnston.... according to Sam anyway
      Robert W. Hughes
      Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
      Thrasher Mess
      Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
      ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
      Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
      And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

For what it's worth (Not much.) I carry a oiled rag in the implement pouch. I put my other cleaning equipment in a poke sack, which goes in my pack or blanket roll. I find that carrying anything, but the rag, in the implement pouch makes it stick out too far. I have enough trouble with the fumbles, thank you very much!

The oiled rag gets used a lot, on my armory bright weapons. Especially in damp weather.
        Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

I find the same thing which was why I was curious about it. I stuck my tompion, wiper, and oil in the implement pouch and it sticks out way too far. I know some sutlers have a pouch made of period fabric with the tow oil etc. which was what raised my question. How would the troops have done it? Is this how everyone does it? That is, placing these items in the implement pouch? Thanks all for your help thus far.

Joey Danner
          [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Respectfully,
          Joseph S. Danner

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
          [COLOR="Red"]The Pine River Boys - 7th Wisconsin, Company I[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

My .02...I just put all my field cleaning stuff for my musket in a poke sack and carry it in my knapsack with my personal stuff, etc. The only thing I keep in the implement pouch of my cartridge box is my nipple wrench. If I stick anything else in their, I like everyone else, finds it pokes out too far....

Take care....
            Robert F. Wallace
            38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
            North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

I keep an Enfield "private's tool" in the implement pouch on my cartridge box. That way, I have my oiler, worm, screwdrivers, etc. for my P '53 right there. One arm sticks out from under the pouch flap slightly, but not enough to be a bother.
              [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
              X