Revolver cartridge arsenal packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revolver cartridge arsenal packs

Anybody have info on how arsenal packs for revolvers were constructed and labelled? I've found some info in Round Ball to Rimfire vol. 3, but nothing on dimensions, and more info on the "patent" wooden packs that Colt cartridges were sold in than the pasteboard boxes used by the arsenals. I know that early in the war some cartridges were wrapped similar to musket rounds, but they went to pasteboard boxes due to excessive damage to the cartridges in transport and handling , since revolver cartridges were a bit more fragile in construction.
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Re: Revolver cartridge arsenal packs

Hallo!

If I can find it tomorrow, I believe I have the dimensions of a pack or two somewhere in the Piles and Mess.
    I will look.

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thanks! Construction details and labeling would be a great help, too. I have some prints of Colt's Cartridge Works labels, but nothing else (my one and only arsenal stamp is a St. Louis 1862 .58 musket pack stamp).

Comment

Hallo!

Sorry, but I must disappoint...

I cannot find my pistol packet references. (I suspect I loaned them to a friend for reproduction about 5-6 years ago who died of a stroke- and whose wife threw away all of his "stuff" and donated his (my) books to the library...)

All I have are references to carbine ammo packets.

Pooh...

Curt

Who has sworn for years to create a spreadsheet or index card system to record the loaning out of which books to whom and when Mess
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Pick up a copy of "Precussion Ammunition Packets: Union, Confederate & European" by John J. Malloy, Dean S. Thomas, and Terry A. White.

While it might not have the exact measurements you are seeking, it does a great job documenting what rounds are known to have been produced at each manufactory. They have many illustrations of packages, individual rounds, some packet x-rays and a detailed list of where each item illustated can be found. At that point you could always contact the repository of the original for more detailed information if needed. There are also 3 package patents in the appendix.

Hope that helps!
          Harry Aycock

Chief Surgeon
          Southern Division

Comment

I have some information on the paper style.
            According to my 1861 Ordnance manual...
            Army revolver. .44 caliber
            The paper trapezoid is; 2.75"Hx3.25"Long base x 1.6"Short base
            The wrapper is 8" Length x 6.5" Width

Hope that this is of some help.
            Tedd Ill
            Sergeant 1st Illinois Regimental light artillery, Battery A and Pvt. Battery L
            (BTW my last name is "I-L-L" as in sick)

Comment

I cannot give you the exact reference where I got this information. I can only give the time frame and place where I found it. It was some time between August 2002 and May 2004 in the library at Trinidad State Junior College, Trinidad , Colorado. I made some notes on the labeling. Each line is cntered justified.

SIX
              ARMY PISTOL
              BALL CARTRIDGES
              CAL. 46-100
              WITH 8 PERCUSSION CAPS
              ST LOUIS ARSENAL

SIX CARTRIDGES
              FOR
              ARMY REVOLVERS
              CAL. 44
              WITH 7 PERCUSSION CAPS
              WATERVLIET ARSENAL

Lines are of different height but I did not note their related sizes.

Hope this is of some help.

Speaking of cartridge packaging labels, if one was thinnking about creating a label what font would one use to give it a period look?
              Last edited by The Wizard; 02-04-2009, 10:47 AM.
              Douglas K. Wozny

Comment

dick, measurements for 44 cartridge block with out caps(both types were made) are as fallows-2 7/8" long
                1 5/8" high
                9/16" thick
                they held six cartridges and were wood. wraped with a buff or brown thin paper. some were stamped and some were printed. they then were covered with a thin coat fo varnish to water proof them.
                Kurt Beasley

Comment

Originally posted by kurt2005guns View Post
                  dick, measurements for 44 cartridge block with out caps(both types were made) are as fallows-2 7/8" long
                  1 5/8" high
                  9/16" thick
                  they held six cartridges and were wood. wraped with a buff or brown thin paper. some were stamped and some were printed. they then were covered with a thin coat fo varnish to water proof them.
                  Don't suppose you have any detailed photos, or could tell me where I can find them? Were these the arsenal-made packs, or the private manufacturer packs (Colt, Bartholow, et al)? And were they one piece drilled out at the edge, or the 2-piece grooved blocks like Colt used? Thanks!

Comment

Dutchman Dick,

"Pittman's Notes on U.S. Martial Small Arms, 1776-1933, Volume 2, Revolvers and Automatic Pistols" by John Pittman, BG, Ordnance Corps, USA has information on "combustible cartridge packaging".
                    Douglas K. Wozny

Comment

Working...
                    X