Blue line duck Union Haversacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue line duck Union Haversacks

Has anyone information on who used them and where and at what period? I made one awhile ago but have never used it so what is appropriate? If there is a thread please direct me. I heard western and New England troops but who else?
    Thomas J. Alleman
    "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Re: Blue line duck Union Haversacks

They've been attributed to Ohio troops, and at least one New England regiment, the 17th Connecticutt. There is one in particular in "Echoes of Glory" carried by a 17th CT soldier, but I've often wondered if they drew that when brigaded with the 75th, 25th, and 107th Ohio. There was no known time of issue in the provenance of that haversack, but it would not surprise me greatly if they and the Ohio boys drew them at the same time.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Ross: I saw a 17th conn marked haversack awhile back on an auction. It was the standard tarred U.S. style. You are likely right about the blue line being a replacement. Jim Hensley
      [FONT="Century Gothic"][/FONT][FONT="Georgia"][/FONT][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Jim Hensley[/FONT]
      Order of Heptasophs 1852

Comment

There is a record of one being sent home among other belongings to the family of a soldier in the German 9th Ohio who died of disease during the siege of Chattanooga.
        Jake Koch
        The Debonair Society of Coffee Coolers, Brewers, and Debaters
        https://coffeecoolersmess.weebly.com/

-Pvt. Max Doermann, 3x Great Uncle, Co. E, 66th New York Infantry. Died at Andersonville, Dec. 22, 1864.
        -Pvt. David Rousch, 4x Great Uncle, Co. A, 107th Ohio Infantry. Wounded and Captured at Gettysburg. Died at Andersonville, June 5, 1864.
        -Pvt. Carl Sievert, 3x Great Uncle, Co. H, 7th New York Infantry (Steuben Guard). Mortally Wounded at Malvern Hill.

Comment

I know that more had to be issued because echo's has a few but issue records would not state specifically unpainted I am sure they are just recorded as haversacks but does anyone have photographic evidence of them?
          Thomas J. Alleman

Comment

Hi,

I think I do. I will post as soon as I find the picture. Thanks

Andrew
            Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Hi,

Here is a picture of what I believe are Federal soldiers wearing white haversacks. The original caption on the photo says that they are CS prisoners "Confederate prisoners waiting at Chattanooga to be sent north."
              , but I really do not think this is the case. Mainly because they seem to be wearing Federal issue sack coats.

Andrew
              Attached Files
              Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Hi,

I also just found this picture. The soldier on the right appears to have a white haversack. Thank

Andrew
                Attached Files
                Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I am of the opinion that the “Spinlin” haversack in the collection of the MOC is one.
                  Attached Files
                  Rich Taddeo
                  Shocker Mess
                  "Don't do it, you're going to get hurt." Jerry Stiles @ Sky Meadows moments before I fell and broke my leg.

Comment

Andrew that picture should go on the Bummers website, what a look to those characters. Where did you find it? Also that does look like a white haversack. It seem photographic evidence is hard to come by but what about issuance records?
                    Thomas J. Alleman

Comment

Hi,

I found the photos on this site, but I cannot remember where. I will try to find out later today. I have no records of who they were issued to. CJ Daley, has some information on his site, so you may want to contact him about the haversacks.
                      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Thomas, we did some photo study of that image on our forum. The link for the other images in that bunch is listed in the post as well. Unfortunately it was only described as "Shermans men, 1864" or something vague like that. I think the photo has been identified in some publications, but I do not have those handy at the moment.

Preston Todd
                        Hard Case Boys
                        Top Rail Mess

Comment

Working...
                        X