Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soap??

Hello boys,

I am planning on being in IPW in March and am in need of some soap, but what kind would I be able to procure for the Civil War time period. I have heard of lye soap, but isn't that kind of dangerous. Please Help! Thanks in advance.
    Matthew "Bullfrog" Rennier
    4th O.V.I Co. B
    "Union Guards":baring_te

Re: Soap??

Lye soap, when made correctly, is a fantastic soap with little danger. After watching several pounds of it being made this last week at my historic site, and using it myself all last week to wash myself and my clothes, I had no issues. After talking with the lady making it, she told me the danger is when the lye (created by filtering water through wood ash) is too strong, and it does take alot of trial and error to get it right. I'm not too sure of a good modern source or vendor for it, but I'm sure someone will pipe in.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

There are a number of folks making lye soap in a living history setting, and casting about any quality civilian living history area will normally find good soap aplenty--especially for a man willing to work awhile and haul up some water and wood

Trouble is, you have less than a month to acquire such. Here's one commercial source. You'll likely want to cut the bar in half, rather than hauling the whole thing.

Terre Hood Biederman
      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Matthew,

I've got a good bit of some good homemade lye soap. I'll have it with me and will gladly let you have some that will serve you well during the week.
        Michael Comer
        one of the moderator guys

Comment

Have you tried here: http://winstontown.com/winstontown_web_010.htm
          Andrew Grim
          The Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Bh'oys

Burbank #406 F&AM
          x-PBC, Co-Chairman of the Most Important Committee
          Peter Lebeck #1866, The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
          Billy Holcomb #1069, Order of Vituscan Missionaries

Comment

Pretty much all soap IS lye soap at some point in its manufacture. Homemade lye soap is a little alkaline sometimes, but that depends on the soapmaker's skill (if s/he is using period methods) or ability to weigh and measure correctly (modern style, which is how I do it when no one is looking.) Once you use some good homemade soap, you'll complain about the commercial stuff.

Sooner or later, you'll want to make some yourself. It isn't hard, nor dangerous if you pay attention to what you're doing, and it only takes a couple of hours. There are excellent tutorials on the Net. One note of warning to anyone who wants to try making soap: DO NOT try to use Drano. It has far too many interesting additives and perfumes to function as soapmaking lye.
            Becky Morgan

Comment

Hey Matt, if you do end up buying some I'll split it with you, but if not maybe I could mooch off Mr. Comer also?
              Tim Koenig

Comment

If you are concerned about using lye soap, you can also try Texas Soap & Sundries (www.texassoap.com). I have seen their soap in a few museum gift shops and they claim to have a lower lye content.
                Jeremiah DeGennaro
                Durham, NC

"We are under orders to march at a moments notice and hold ourselves of course responsible to all military orders, for what are we but dogs in the hands of our superiors."
                - Pvt. Josiah K. Baxter, 140th Indiana Infantry, Nov. 21, 1864

Comment

Tim,

I can probably provide you with some also. I have several good size chunks that a local farm woman made several years ago.
                  Michael Comer
                  one of the moderator guys

Comment

There's a lady in my area that makes all kinds of soaps. She makes plain lye soaps, but also makes alot of goat milk soaps too. She's online, so you should be able to order all that you need. Here's her website: Julia's Goat Milk Soaps

Hope this helps.
                    John Spain
                    4th Tennessee / 25th Indiana

sigpic
                    "If you surrender, you will be treated as prisoners of war, but if I have to storm your works, you may expect no quarter." Forrest

Comment

Matt,

An overlooked variety of soap is "castile soap." It's a period product, and shows up in sutler inventories for a dime per bar. Other soaps could be had from army issue lye at the bottom of the pile to very fine scented soaps, which cost much more. The claim to lather even in the hardest water is actually quite true.

This variety of castile soap is not as easy to find in stores as it once was. To decant, unwrap the soap, place the bar gently in a vice, and remove the shallow imprint with a draw knife. Such modern markings are a snap to remove.

This lye soap is a little on the high side, but bargains can still be had for 50 cents per bar, or less. Most modern sutlers sell lye soap, but you typically must ask for it.

This is the closest commerical item I have found to fit the mass produced "old army brown soap" mentioned frequently. Grab a Zona saw from your shop and slice it in half. These are big bars of soap.

Soaps gone By is not an approved vendor, and is included for illustrative purposes only. That, and the next question is typically "where can I buy?"
                      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

If I may, you don't have to put the soap in a vise. You can either use it for a few showers at home or, if you're in a hurry, warm it up in the microwave and give it a gentle squeezing to get rid of the incriminating letters. Most, if not all, otherwise correct bar soaps can be "defarbed" in this manner. Start with about 15 seconds for a regular bath bar, and make sure you put a paper towel or plate under the soap so you don't end up with castile puddles if you overdo.
                        Becky Morgan

Comment

Working...
                        X