Round Buttonholes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round Buttonholes

What is the best way to cut the fabric round for sewing. I use the wood chisel for regular buttonholes, but what about round? Example, back of drawers, shelter halves,etc. Any help, greatly appreciated
    Scott Schrimpe
    124 N.Y.S.V.
    "Orange Blossom's"

Hedgesville Blues
    Va.2E
    "Shocker Mess"

Re: Round Buttonholes

Scott,

For the back of drawers or for small, round holes, use an awl, knitting needle or something with a point that gradually gets larger. Avoid breaking the threads at all, and just ease it between them. Gently coax the threads apart to the desired diameter, and stitch. This method will help prevent fraying because you'll be working with a firm edge.

Comment

You can get a set of round punches that work just like the wood chisels and will make a perfect round hole for those on the back of trousers or for making keyhole buttonholes or hand sewn grommets on shelter halves. Any store that sells tools should have them. I got a set of around ten various sizes at harbor freight for less than five dollars if I remember correctly.
      Charlie Thayer

"Confederates were looking for some shoes, which were in short supply in the South because of the Union Blockade. The Confederates received gun fire instead of shoes." Quote of a random student in one of my classes.

Comment

Originally posted by KathyBradford View Post
        Scott,

For the back of drawers or for small, round holes, use an awl, knitting needle or something with a point that gradually gets larger. Avoid breaking the threads at all, and just ease it between them. Gently coax the threads apart to the desired diameter, and stitch. This method will help prevent fraying because you'll be working with a firm edge.
        Dear Kathy,
        I have tried this approach and always found that the hole closes back up before I can stitch it open. Do you recommend leaving the awl in while doing the buttonhole stitches? Any input would be much appreciated.
        Yours in The Cause,
        Will Tatum
        Lil' Bastid Mess

Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Get yourself a bone stiletto. They can be had at antique stores, or bought new at:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Matt Caldwell

GHTI

WIG[/FONT]

Comment

When I made the eyelets for my W &W drawers kit I used a leather punch. Of course the punch wont work on fabric unless you put an old belt or something behind it to give it some rigidity. Hope this helps. It made the process pretty simple.

Will,
            I have also used the awl and I found that the best way is to punch the hole and then move the awl in a circular pattern to keep the hole open. You still need to work pretty fast I think but it definitely does the trick. Keep moving the awl in a circular motion until you think the hole is large enough. Hope that helps.
            [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Respectfully,
            Joseph S. Danner

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
            [COLOR="Red"]The Pine River Boys - 7th Wisconsin, Company I[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Hallo!

I have made my own punches using "nail set" tools.
              I drill out the "shaft" to the depth I need, and then cut down the end of the tool to the desired "punch" hole size.

Last week, my local Sears Hardware was selling them for $1.00.

Set the material on a pine board or piece of leather, and give the nail set (now a hole punch) a rap.

Curt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

You can get a set of round punches that work just like the wood chisels and will make a perfect round hole for those on the back of trousers or for making keyhole buttonholes or hand sewn grommets on shelter halves. Any store that sells tools should have them. I got a set of around ten various sizes at harbor freight for less than five dollars if I remember correctly.

When you use hollow punches you have better results if you back up the stock you are punching with the end grain of a block of wood - or better a lead surface.
                John Peterson

Comment

WOW,
                  Thanks for all the advice. I looked in previous threads and could not find anything. Thanks again
                  Scott Schrimpe
                  124 N.Y.S.V.
                  "Orange Blossom's"

Hedgesville Blues
                  Va.2E
                  "Shocker Mess"

Comment

Originally posted by North_State_Rambler View Post
                    Dear Kathy,
                    I have tried this approach and always found that the hole closes back up before I can stitch it open. Do you recommend leaving the awl in while doing the buttonhole stitches? Any input would be much appreciated.
                    Will,

I mark all of the holes, but I only work one at a time and periodically re-insert the tool to coax it back open if the hole seems to be closing. I also cinch the thread tightly away from the hole with each stitch, so it keeps the final stitching apart nicely.

Nice stilettos, Matt. The right tool for the job always makes things go better.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                      What is the best way to cut the fabric round for sewing. I use the wood chisel for regular buttonholes, but what about round? Example, back of drawers, shelter halves,etc. Any help, greatly appreciated
                      I was wondering the same thing last night as I was doing the grommets on my WW&Co drawers kits. That's one of the good things about this place: someone is sometimes having the exact same question you are and a great wealth of knowedge around to answer it.

Thanks Kathy & Matt, I'll be getting some of those silettos to add to the sewing basket.

Kindest Regards,
                      [FONT="Georgia"][I]Marc Averill[/I]
                      Dirigo Grays
                      CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]
                      Lt. General James Longstreet

Comment

For Future readers:
                        The rotary leather punch works good with the leather belt under the fabric, but you are limited to sizes up to 1/4 inch.
                        Hollow punches can be obtained, Ebay has sets of 12 from $5-$15 dollars plus shipping.
                        And the Bone stilletos Matt was talking about are $4 plus shipping
                        So those are the choices all are good, just use what applies to what you are doing
                        Scott Schrimpe
                        124 N.Y.S.V.
                        "Orange Blossom's"

Hedgesville Blues
                        Va.2E
                        "Shocker Mess"

Comment

Well if you shoot modern ammo you can use a spent round casing(steel casings work better) file the edges sharp, then sand them smooth and you have a cheap round punch for all your shelter half needs! Just make sure you've fired it, might be bad if the primer was still in there:tounge_sm
                          Wade Rogers

Comment

having done many eyelets on gowns and such. Kathy's method works well and is the correct way to make eyelets or the round button hole. she is also correct that the fabric remains sturdy and the eyelets or round button hole will not tear out or fray.. it takes time and patience.. but it is worth the effort.
                            Catherine L. Kelly
                            Delaware

Comment

Could it be possible that sewn "grommets" in canvas or heavy kersey wool (made by a hurried and somewhat indifferent hand in a factory setting) use different techniques than a skilled seamstress making small eyelets on light cotton or silk fabrics?

Paul McKee
                              Paul McKee

Comment

Working...
                              X