Painted Groundcloth Usage in the Federal Army

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painted Groundcloth Usage in the Federal Army

Hi all. I'm curious as to how commonly painted groundcloths were issued to federal soldiers over the vulcanized rubber ground cloths. Were they more common in a particular theatre? I didn't see anything on the forums that readily addressed this issue and I was wondering if anyone might have some insight into the topic. Thank you for your help.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Respectfully,
    Joseph S. Danner

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [COLOR="Red"]The Pine River Boys - 7th Wisconsin, Company I[/COLOR][/FONT]

Re: Painted Groundcloth Usage in the Federal Army

Speaking for the 38th Indiana, I found in their records at the Indiana Historical Museum Archives that they were issued "painted blankets" going up through late 1863. In November a couple rubber blankets were issued and a few more in December, 1863. And as I read it looked as if men in the unit saw the superior properties of the rubber blanket. In January, 1864 they issued alot. So for this one unit that served in the western theater during 1861-1863, they did have them.
    Matt Woodburn
    Retired Big Bug
    WIG/GHTI
    Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
    "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

The 7th MN VI had a similar experiance to the 38th Indiana showing both "painted canvas" and the rubber groundcloths.

I have a copy of an inventory for the 4th MN VI around the time of Oct 1864 that shows only "groundcloth" w/out detailing any further. But it also shows a decent number of "Talma" IIRC approx 150 which seemed interesting to me.
      Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
      SUVCW Camp 48
      American Legion Post 352
      [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Greetings,
        In the letters of Private John Sharp, 10th Iowa Veteran Volunteer Infantry, he writes of sending home a variety of extra clothing and equipments to his family in May of 1865. One of the items listed in the manifest of newly drawn materials was a painted blanket.

Throughout the war Sharp was drawing extra materials and sending them home to his wife for domestic use. An example would be in 1862 when he sent home extra blankets and overcoats because batting was expensive and difficult to acquire for his wife.

Darrek Orwig
        Last edited by Citizen_Soldier; 03-09-2009, 01:22 PM.

Comment

The attached item is one of several contract bid solicitations that appeared in the New York Times. This one is from the 27 June 1863 edition. Draw your own conclusions.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
          Attached Files
          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

From an issue of the Watchman:

Sept. 13, 1862
            You are authorized to furnish at the Schuylkill Arsenal, 30,000 Painted Infantry Tent Blankets, 46 by 71 inches with 18 grummets (sic), and tape for tying as a shawl, at $1.39 each. Grummets to be placed 2 inches from the edge to the centre of grummet, on one side and one end, and one inch on the opposite side and end, not exceeding 14" apart, and equidistant. Quality of cloth used and coating like sealed sample . . .
            Respectfully, G.H. Crosman, Dept. QM Genl.
            Claude Sinclair
            Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Great! Thanks for all the information. I have a western federal impression and I was wondering if painted ground cloths were more prevalent for western soldiers than eastern or if there was just an overall issuance of such an item. I was surprised to see that the Schuylkill Arsenal produced all three ground cloths, including vulcanized gutta percha.Thanks for all the information.
              [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Respectfully,
              Joseph S. Danner

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
              [COLOR="Red"]The Pine River Boys - 7th Wisconsin, Company I[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

What about painted ground cloth with out grommets, simply a painted piece of cloth with nothing else done to it? Any research out there that these could have been used by Fed. infantry?
                If not correct, where might I purchase the correct grommets and tape to update my current painted cloth (previously left un-altered for Confed. use)?

Best,
                Clay Pendleton
                Clay N. Pendleton
                Muncie, Ind.
                Memberships:
                CWPT, NTHP, AASLH, AAM, Phi Alpha Theta, NAWCC

Comment

Clay,

You can get the 1/4" grommets from Lowes and the 1" tape from the Wooded Hamlet at: http://www.woodedhamlet.com/tapes_br...ted_twill.html. I rarely see people using the tape to tie off as a shawl and there's a nice picture of a soldier doing that in the Federal Echo's of Glory. Also you will notice in the picture the grommets at the edge of the 2" hem used to tie the tape. Hope this information helps.
                  Claude Sinclair
                  Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Would it be accecpable to simply place 18 grommets on the painted groundcloth without doing the 1"/2" folded over hems? The one example in EoG shows the hem, however the rubberized versions do not have hems. Is it possible there were such variations? I see that the oil cloth blanket that Dell's makes does not have such hems: http://www.dellsleatherworks.com/blanket.htm
                    Notice that the "historical citation" is pending...does anyone know the source of his reproduction?

-Clay Pendleton
                    Clay N. Pendleton
                    Muncie, Ind.
                    Memberships:
                    CWPT, NTHP, AASLH, AAM, Phi Alpha Theta, NAWCC

Comment

Clay,

That is one of my early oil blankets sold by Dell. I have not sold any to to Dell in two years or so. I did sell them one from the Specifications that I listed above in another post but the cost was what I had put in them and I don't think he could add a mark-up and sell them since most mainstream reenactors are looking for something cheaper. I have not been able to find any more variations but several years ago there was a thread here on the AC regarding sizes and some information on some surviving painted oil blankets. Some had no hems. You can see what I am making at:

Moderators: I am not advertising nor do I wish to use this forum to sell since right now I just don't have the time to make many. If my job as a Social Worker goes South I may change my mind. Please feel free to edit or delete this post.
                      Last edited by Clsinclair; 03-10-2009, 07:40 PM. Reason: Add Link
                      Claude Sinclair
                      Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Mr. Sinclair,

Thank you for posting the link to the groundcloths you produce, as I was having a problem visualizing where the two grommets for the ties went.

The confederate version would make an interesting project for myself and a couple of my pards. Is this copied from an extant original or based off QM, etc records or other documentation?
                        Bryan Beard
                        Virginian

Comment

Is painted blankets the same as painted tent blankets or some other variation on the wording?

I just want to make sure that we're doing the right thing. I mean I have a painted oilcloth I got off the AC (matter of fact Claude might have made it) and it's very versitile ontop of being a great reproduction. Versus something that's rubberized, it folds up better to fit in the knapsack since it's a thinner material as a finished product.

A version of a painted oilcloth has been used by the military since the F & I War. They were initially used by Naval Personel while on watch, but found useage elsewhere when the Marines went inland. I am sure (and apparently being backed up by documentation) that they were VERY common by the Civil War and especially by Federal Troops. Actually for CSA troops, I was reading a great article on here last night about the commonality of using coverlets and carpets as ponchos/ groundcloths/ blankets/ etc. The good thing about those types of materials is that they were woven so tightly, they were pretty much waterproof (well water resistant anyways) from construction. Just like the saying goes, They don't make 'em like they use to!

RJ
                          Robert 'RJ' Basista
                          Musician
                          Iron Brigade/ 19th IND/ Co.E
                          The Killbuck OMG Watamess Mess

Comment

Working...
                          X