Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrel band paint?

Good Day Gents

During my on going efforts to refinish my Armi Sport 1853 Enfield, I have hit a snag. Some where along the line someone as removed the black finish from the barrel bands and they are now just bare brass. I have search pictures on line and haven't found one bare brass barrel band, so one would say its not proper. After looking for a way to refinish the barrel bands with new paint and found nothing, i am bring it to this forum. I looked in the search engine on here and was unsuccessful. What should i use to refinish the barrel bands?

With my compliments
    Cpl.Tim Fretwell
    10th Louisiana Co.C

Re: Barrel band paint?

Hallo!

The earlier reproductions of the Enfield had blackened brass brass "Baddeley" (4th Model) bands.
    Later reproductions have cyanide gas simulated color-case hardening (3rd Model) barel bands.

Neither are correct to originals.

There are available products ("brass black") that will partially darken but not blacken brass to the extent that the commercial process does.

Aside from living with the problem of incorrect brass bands, your choice is to purchase steel bands and either "live with" the incorrect cyanide gas simulated color-case hardening, heat blue them the proper color, or if your Enfield is "struck bright," polish them bright.

I have not priced reproduction bands in a while, but the last time I bought from Taylors (about 8-9 years ago?) they were $35 each.
    Restoring originals are another option but way more pricier and with the added headache of trying to find a similar sized set (originals not being made to interchangeable standards).

IMHO, "paint" is not much of an option as it does not look like metal, and it quickly wears off unevenly.

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Re: Barrel band paint?

Does Tayors have any contact info?

Cpl.Tim Fretwell
      10th Louisiana Co.C

Comment

Working...
      X