CS Officer's duties and instruction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS Officer's duties and instruction

I was recently promoted to LT. in my Company and don't know doodly squat about the responsabilities of an officer. I do a Western AOT impression and need some help. Any advice or references? I thought i could refer to the HARDEES manual but the only HARDEES i've made use of recently was the fast food place.:D Thaks guys for any help. Clifford Earl Hyde

Re: CS Officer's duties and instruction

Hardee's revised 1862 manual would probably be the one you would want to refer to. It is available as a reproduction and I think you might be able to find it on the Drill Network.

Also get a copy of Kautz for both non-coms and officers. You should know be familiar with NCO duties if you are not already and there is plenty in the officer manual to give you a good background to build on.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Both of Mr. Comer's suggestions are excellent but in addition to reading - your first concern should always be taking care of your men. If you follow that religiously you can't go too wrong.
      John Duffer
      Independence Mess
      MOOCOWS
      WIG
      "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Originally posted by Hyde64 View Post
        I was recently promoted to LT. in my Company and don't know doodly squat about the responsabilities of an officer. I do a Western AOT impression and need some help. Any advice or references? I thought i could refer to the HARDEES manual but the only HARDEES i've made use of recently was the fast food place.:D Thaks guys for any help. Clifford Earl Hyde
        Hardee's 1862 "Goetzel edition" Schools of the Soldier, Company, and Battalion, plus Winfield Scott's Evolutions of the Line (brigade & higher tactics):

Regulations for the Armies of the Confederate States (something you should know like a minister knows his Testament)...

While oriented more toward the pre-War National Army, August V. Kautz' Customs of Service for Officers of the Army details what's expected of you at every rank from butterbar LT to bird Colonel:

These are pretty much the basics and theory... the real stuff you learn the hard way.

Some thoughts on leadership in living history units: http://www.geocities.com/capitalguards/CGSNov04.pdf

And although he was a Yankee, I thought this fellow said it very nicely and succinctly:

"I would like to record here my opinion, based upon observation and experience, that a captain commanding a company has the hardest task, the most dangerous position and, I may add, the greatest responsibility of any officer below the rank of colonel. The hardships and dangers that he passes through are greater than those of any soldier of rank or file. He is like the father of a large family. He must look after the wants of a whole company; he must command obedience; he must share with them all the marches, the bivouacks, the battles, the skirmishes and the hard rough service that the private endures. In battle or in siege he must expose himself to danger more than his men that a good example of courage may be set. After long marches into the night, unlike the private soldier who has no one to care for but himself and can lie down and rest, he must see to all his men and remain awake in looking after the comfort and security of his company. He is held responsible by the Government for a large amount of property and has to be constantly on the alert to save it from the accidents of war. The arms, the ammunition, the soldiers’ equipment, the tents and the entrenching tools must all be guarded and saved from destruction in battle and on the marches. I have had to pay for property, the loss of which was necessary to save the life of a good soldier, after furnishing ample proof to that effect."

-- CPT Charles D. Miller, Co. C, 76th Ohio Infantry The Struggle for the Life of the Republic, Kent, OH, Kent State University Press (2004) pp. 197-198

Tom Ezell
        Tom Ezell

Comment

Working...
        X