breechloader cartridge boxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breechloader cartridge boxes?

Who currently makes and/or sells authentic cartridge boxes for the Smith .50 caliber carbine, and the Henry repeater? I am especially interested in what would have been used early war/western theater.

Also, does anybody make a reproduction of the jointed cleaning rod that went in the butt-trap on the Henry rifle?
    Last edited by Dutchman Dick; 03-27-2009, 11:07 PM.
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Re: breechloader cartridge boxes?

The original Henry had an official cartridge box and it looked very similar to the Federal issue .58 or .69 caliber cartridge box. The actual Henry box had four wooden blocks that held the copper cartridges. When one block was empty it was removed from the top of the box and inserted into the bottom of the box and held in with a couple of springs on each end of the box. The other blocks were then pushed up to the top. I have only seen pictures of this box and it is my understanding that they were a very very rare item during the Civil War. Here is a drawing of it.

I think the reasoning behind this box was to keep the rim fire cartridges from colliding with each other if just thrown loose in a box and possibly setting them off. I also think that the artist that drew this box forgot to include some kind of shoulder strap attachment.
    I seam to remember that S & S use to make the 3 piece cleaning rod for the Henry but I don't think they make it any more.
    Last edited by Spencer Guy; 03-30-2009, 12:48 PM.
    Terry Schultz

Comment

For another breech loader... how about a matching box for the Sharps Infantry rifle? I would love to have one to go with my Sharps. Or is my standard 1861 box good enough?
      thanks!
      [FONT="Times New Roman"]
      [I]" Stand firm and fire low!"...[B]Colonel Edward Cross 5th NHV[/B][/I]

Dean Cass
      106th Reg't PVI
      Co. G
      Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Comment

For that matter, what about the Smith? Did the Smith and the Sharps both use the "standard" cavalry cartridge box?

And, lacking a modern reproduction, what do today's "Authentic Campaigners" use for Henry cartridges?

Just found out that Dixie Gunworks has a 3-piece Henry cleaning rod (catalogue # RA0220) for about $20.00.
        Last edited by Dutchman Dick; 04-04-2009, 07:01 PM.
        [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Hallo!

As shared in another post, the rise of various breechloaders put a strain on the Ordnance Department to come up with carbine and rifle boxes to match the varied calibres, types, and sometimes oddly shaped cartridges (think Burnside).

The common method was simply to take the existing pattern infantry box and carbine box and add a carbine/rifle specific wooden block insert to hold the cartridges.

A "hybrid" can be found in the Sharps Rifle cartridge box issued to Berdan Sharpshooters for their new Berdan COntract NM1859 Sharps Rifles in 1862.
          The old pattern box for the M1841 Mississippi was resurrected but brought up to the 1861 infantry box standard of reinforcing rivets for the belt straps, and the including of two tins but with drill blocks that fit into the top sections to hold the Sharps cartridges.
          And affixed with the samll M1839 "US oval" cartridge box plate for the flap.

(Initially, some of us made these boxes by taking aailable M1841 Rifle boxes and adding the two copper rivets and having tins made with the wooden blocks.
          I believe, but lost track, that some vendors now/used to offer the Berdan Sharps box but not the tins/blocks...)

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I had found ordinance records for ammo and replacement part/ repair
            requisitions for the Sharps rifles issued to the 42d Penna Vols in August 1862. But, not any reference for issuance of appropriate accoutrements. I would surmise that those soldiers issued the weapons just used whatever boxes they had for their previous weapons. That is what I do now... using the tins in my 1861 box as is.
            [FONT="Times New Roman"]
            [I]" Stand firm and fire low!"...[B]Colonel Edward Cross 5th NHV[/B][/I]

Dean Cass
            106th Reg't PVI
            Co. G
            Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Comment

Re: Drill sizes

I do not know where the copy of the article on carbine boxes went that Paul Johnson wrote but he listed the different hole sizes for each caliber. The 1860 carbine box was issued with different blocks according to the gun it was intended, the only odd flyer is the smith box since it took a block drilled to .66 and just over an inch in depth. The smith boxes are longer in length and shorter in height than the standard 1860 carbine. The Sharps was drilled at .58, I think.

Joe Toney

There was one even for the spencer.

Comment

The Sharps cartridge boxes issued to Berdan's Sharpshooters were used for a time but seem to have been replaced by the standard issue .58 calibre cartridge boxes throughout the war. While I don't know if it was used by a Berdan's Sharpshooter, there is an original .58 cal. cartridge box full of Sharps rifle ammunition on display at Antietam.
                Brian White
                [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Working...
                X