Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harpers Ferry Conversion

Pards:

I have a Harpers Ferry Conversion (from tape to cap) that needs a rammer. It was defarbed before it got to me so I do not know its original manufacture. I have tried my '42 Springfield, 61 Springfield, and Enfield rammers but none will fit past the first barrel band. All fit with the bands removed (though on the long side). Does the conversion have a slimmer rammer or is there an alignment issue?

Kace
    Kevin 'Kace' Christensen
    7th & 30th Missouri Volunteers

Re: Harpers Ferry Conversion

Hallo!

I am not clear on the picture...

Are you trying repro ramrods in an original? (Repro ramrods tend to be oversized.)

NUG, when alterations were done from .69 RB or .69 EB, the flat or convex headed ramrods were replaced with a concave tipped version so as not to damage the nose of the .69 "Minie."

However, the M1822 was not a "interchangeable parts" gun, so not all original ramrods will fit perfectly to other M1822's anyways.

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

It is is repro rammers into a repro conversion. Looking at the serial number on the underside of the barrel the defarb may have been done in 1976.

Kace
      Kevin 'Kace' Christensen

Comment

Kace, Are you sure on the 1976 date? I don't think anyone was making 1855 at that time("tape to cap") other than some high end custom pieces? Bud
        Bud Scully 13th NJ Co.K Mess and 69th NY (N-SSA)

Comment

No not really sure. The # on the underside is 76 space XXXX so it was a guess,

Kace
          Kevin 'Kace' Christensen

Comment

Hallo!

"I have a Harpers Ferry Conversion (from tape to cap) that needs a rammer. It was defarbed before it got to me so I do not know its original manufacture. I have tried my '42 Springfield, 61 Springfield, and Enfield rammers but none will fit past the first barrel band. All fit with the bands removed (though on the long side). Does the conversion have a slimmer rammer or is there an alignment issue?"

Sorry...

I am still confused.

By "Harpers Ferry Conversion (from tape to cap)" you are referring to a repro M1855?

And I am further confused by the "conversion" part. (M1855's used standard musket caps when the Maynard tape primers were discontinued.)

Trying to be of help here, but not doing a good job.

Curt
            Who built his first custom M1855 in 1980 Mess
            Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Try filing down the sides of your rammer til it fits (not too much or it could fall out).
              Nick Buczak
              19th Ind

[url]http://www.allempires.com[/url]

Comment

Showing my ignorance I guess. I always assumed that the there was some sort of rework of the hammer/nipple when converting from the tape. I guess I need to read up more.

Kace
                Kevin 'Kace' Christensen

Comment

Hallo!

An related, kinda/sorta, aside...

When the Confederates used Harpers Ferry M1855 machinery to produce "Richmonds," they received complaints that the "hump" even when cut down interferred with capping.
                  So they eventually recessed or "cut out" a "relief" in the front of the remnant "hump."

I suspect you likely have an Italian repro of the M1855. However, there are a number of custom-builts for N-SSA use and for reenacting/living history use floating around (incuding several I had built and sold off), and you may have latched onto one of those instead.

If yours is one of these and not an Italian M1855 version, you may be finding that the ramrod channel was cut to take an original ramrod or a repro of an original ramrod that the usually "oversized" Italian repro parts will not (easily) fit.

Curt
                  Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Working...
                  X